Marathon Relay Team

elsie3

Cathlete
I just registered as a relay team member for an upcoming marathon. I'm excited. A group of gals in our neighborhood formed 2 teams. I've never raced before. I've got the first leg (7 miles). The race is May 15, 2010.

Currently I run anywhere between 7 and 15 miles on one day/week. I'll be starting STS for the first time (using Cathe's STS Strength and Cardio rotation), just as soon as I get my 1RMs done--probably in 2 weeks. It currently takes me 1hr 7 min to do 7 miles. I'd like to get that down to 1 hour. I'm hoping STS--especially Hiit and Plyo will help.

Any advice for incorporating running into the STS rotation?

Thanks,

No STS advice here, but I'm wondering if the marathon you are talking about is the Ogden City Marathon?

If it is, DH and I have done this one and it is amazingly beautiful!

No STS advice here, but I'm wondering if the marathon you are talking about is the Ogden City Marathon?

If it is, DH and I have done this one and it is amazingly beautiful!

It sure is! Are you running it this year? I moved into a "running" neighborhood about a year and a half ago. We're in Syracuse, UT--less than 20 miles southwest of Ogden. Several people here do the full or half marathon each year. I really want to try the full marathon in 2011. I'll have my work cut out for me, as I can only run 15 miles right now.

I'd love to hear about your experience.

Ooh, I've heard awesome things about the Ogden marathon! :) I had a good friend run the half there last year. I'd love to do that one sometime. Relays are such a blast. DH & I are Wasatch Backers... so fun. :D Good luck with everything! It's fun to see fellow UT Cathletes on the the boards!!! (We're in S. Utah county.)

Sounds like it will be really fun! I'm on a 12 person team for the MC200 relay next June. It's 200 miles from Madison WI to Chicago. Each person runs three legs and the total race (for our slow team) will take something like 30+ hours.

Sounds like you already can cover the distance, but if you want to go faster I would look for a 10K training program that focuses on speed. You can search on Runner's World (runnersworld.com) or check Women's Running (womensrunning.com)

What I've done in the past when training for races while doing other workouts is plan to run 3x/week and stretch out the rotation to fit into the other 3 days of the week. I've had really good results with 3 days running/3 days weights each week.

If you want to incorporate STS cardio too - you could consider dropping 1 running day each week and inserting an STS cardio or doubling up your cardio depending on how much time and energy you have. I think this could be really hard on your body though.

It's hard I find to have a running goal mesh well with other programs. Something has to give.

Good luck!

Sounds like it will be really fun! I'm on a 12 person team for the MC200 relay next June. It's 200 miles from Madison WI to Chicago. Each person runs three legs and the total race (for our slow team) will take something like 30+ hours.

Sounds like you already can cover the distance, but if you want to go faster I would look for a 10K training program that focuses on speed. You can search on Runner's World (runnersworld.com) or check Women's Running (womensrunning.com)

What I've done in the past when training for races while doing other workouts is plan to run 3x/week and stretch out the rotation to fit into the other 3 days of the week. I've had really good results with 3 days running/3 days weights each week.

If you want to incorporate STS cardio too - you could consider dropping 1 running day each week and inserting an STS cardio or doubling up your cardio depending on how much time and energy you have. I think this could be really hard on your body though.

It's hard I find to have a running goal mesh well with other programs. Something has to give.

Good luck!

Thanks so much! That's the trouble I'm having--I really want to do Cathe's STS rotation, but I want to be faster for this race. You're right--something has to give. I think I'll do your idea of doing 2 runs and one STS cardio.

Ooh, I've heard awesome things about the Ogden marathon! :) I had a good friend run the half there last year. I'd love to do that one sometime. Relays are such a blast. DH & I are Wasatch Backers... so fun. :D Good luck with everything! It's fun to see fellow UT Cathletes on the the boards!!! (We're in S. Utah county.)

Yippee!!!! I'm so happy to hear from fellow Utahns. I don't know anyone in Utah who does Cathe (although I'm trying to get my neighbor hooked).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.