Making my own felafel

eminenz2

Cathlete
Hello, All!

I have a good recipe for felafel from the Moosewood Cookbook. However, when I try frying the patties here is my trouble:

if I use too much oil, the patties wind up become drenched in oil. If I don't use enough, the patties burn.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm wondering if I'm not using enough oil and it's not hot enough. Should I use a bunch of oil and really heat it up?

Thanks in advance for the tips.

BTW, DH and I have been meatless for over two months now and it's not as stressful as I thought it would be. I do miss a juicy hamburger though, but it's all good. I'm actually getting to be a pretty good cook!

We still do eat seafood (that was one thing DH was not willing to part with - after all we do live in MD - home of the Blue Crab!) So I guess we're faux-vegetarians - LOL!

Susan L.G.

Hi Susan,

Sorry I don't have the answer for you but I am interested in the recipe. Could you post it for me. I would love to try it.

I haven't done deep frying for years, but I have read that it's important to get the oil hot before adding food: to the point where there are ripples in the oil, but NOT to the point where it smokes. This supposedly will seal the outside of the food when you put it in so it doesn't get greasy.

Here's some more specific info from Joanne Saltzman's "Amazing Grains" (for frying grain croquettes, but applies to other deep-fried foods as well):
Use safflower oil (optionally, add up to 10 percent sesame, coconut, peanut or corn for flavor, but don't use them alone, as they cannot get as hot as needed for deep frying without boiling over).
Oil should be no cooler than 375 degrees (or food will come out soggy and oily) and no hotter than 400 degrees (or the outside will cook too quickly and might burn without cooking the inside). To judge temperature without a thermometer: oil is hot nough when wavy lines move across it, 'like the gentle ripples from the moment a gnat hits the water of a quiet pond'.

Lower food in carefully : it should be surrounded by many little bubbles of oil.

Each time you add food, the oil will cool down some. It's easier to maintain the temperature my adding food rather than changing the heat.

Drain finished food on paper towels.

I've actually made baked falafel that's turned out very well. I sprayed with a cooking oil, then baked (can't remember the temp, though,400?). Then....this is the secret part that made the texture right...put them in a thermos to 'steam.'

I was going on a picnic, which was why I used the thermos, and when I unpacked the falafel, I was surprised at how good the texture was. Very similar to fried. (So it was one of those chance 'inventions.')

Congrats on going meatless, if not vegetarian.

Kathryn -

What if I don't have a thermos? Can I stow it in the microwave (turned off) covered in plastic wrap and let it 'steam' that way?

Thanks!

Susan L.G.

P.S. Yes, I will post the Moosewood recipe when I get home tonight, if you like!

>What if I don't have a thermos? Can I stow it in the
>microwave (turned off) covered in plastic wrap and let it
>'steam' that way?
>
Susan, since I discovered this technique purely by accident, I can only guess! I would try putting them in a mixing bowl (glass or stainless steel) with a dinner plate covering the top, to seal in the steam. You could just leave it on the counter. My 'steaming' time was about 15-20 minutes. I have no idea if more or less time would work. You'll just have to experiment.

Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for bad results from following this suggestion! ;-)

Shelley: Me! Sounds like a good idea for dinner tonight!

I've got a mix in my cupboard that's begging to be used. I'll be eating falafel tonight! Thank's for the idea! Heck, I might even try Kathryn's steaming idea.

Sandra

Are we doing a falafel rotation?:)

I unfortunately don't have any mix right now (thought I did, but it was hummus mix instead). And I didn't want to drive out just to pick some up, so no falafel for me tonight. (Unless Susan and/or Sandra express mail me some, LOL!)

I would not heat safflower, corn, or sesame (or other polyunsaturated oil) unless you want a big helping of free radicals with your dinner. I use coconut for cooking, or olive if you're not willing to jump on that bandwagon.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.