Make-up Suggestions

melagras

Cathlete
Can anyone suggest a line of foundation and powder that doesn't look like bronzer? I have very pale skin with a lot of redness. I went to Sephora yesterday to purchase foundation since I was out. I decided to try their 10 hour foundation. Today was the first day to wear it and my face looks ridiculous. When I use the testers at Sephora and Ulta, the color looks fine on the inside of my wrist until I put it on my face. Is it the Sephora and Ulta employees not knowing how to find the correct color? I am at my wit's end.

Help!

One of my best friends works at a cosmetic counter. She told me once, that testing foundation on your wrist does not work. The skin on your wrist and your face are not the same. She gives out samples all the time. If they don't offer, I suggest you ask for a sample. You can also make an appt for a makeover, and ask the artist exactly what foundation he or she is using. Many places will offer a free makeover. (they want to sell their product)

If you already are using a foundation that is a good match, but you're just looking for a different brand or quality, go to findation.com and enter your current brand & colour. It will find you another brand in the colour that will suit you, based on the information you enter.
If you don't use any foundation right now, check out this website: http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/makeup-tips/_/makeup-tips-tricks-skin-tone-categories
Its a really helpful guide on picking a foundation colour.

If you already are using a foundation that is a good match, but you're just looking for a different brand or quality, go to findation.com and enter your current brand & colour. It will find you another brand in the colour that will suit you, based on the information you enter.
If you don't use any foundation right now, check out this website: http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/makeup-tips/_/makeup-tips-tricks-skin-tone-categories
Its a really helpful guide on picking a foundation colour.
This was very helpful. Thanks!

Yeah, it isn't easy finding proper toned make-up for us pale faced neutral-cool girls is it? Like Melanie,
I really like Paula's Choice as a resource to ensure that what I consume isn't being tested on animals and in her reviews of products, she offers excellent tips on if the make-up ends up with too much pink or a bronzing look to it, which doesn't look good if you aren't of warm skin tone.
I like mineral make-up in theory as it's entirely non comedogenic and the spectrum of colours and tones you can get with it is just unmatched. However, my usually dehydrated skin doesn't reposnd too well to it. It ends up accentuating the lines on my forehead and the next day, my skin feels tight. If you do not have dehydrated skin, it's probably a good choice and is usually not too costly. GiasMineralsBeauty is just one online that I know is nice. You could find some more local ones, I'm sure.
I do like Becca brand foundations which also rate high on Paula's Choice. I have been looking for something more affordable however, so please keep us posted as to what you might find. With Sephora, it's excellent cause you can test everything out there & then once you know what you like, after the first purchase, get it somewhere online for 30% less. hehee. That is what I generally do anyway.

I went to Sephora yesterday at lunch and got one of the more experienced sales clerks to help me. I had been trying to find the right shade in the Sephora Collection 10 hour foundation. I couldn't believe how light I had to go and then I read the article posted here about looking at the color of your veins on the inside of your arm. Mine are blue/green. I never thought I was a "cool" color. All these years, I had been told I was a "warm." No wander I couldn't get the right color. :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm super pale. Like slightly less pale than a piece of paper. And I also have a pink undertone. Bare Minerals, I can only use in the middle of summer when I almost have a tan that's how pale I am.

Here are a few foundations I have found I can use. Laura Geller has a baked foundation in porcelain. Works pretty good on me. I can sometimes use the fair also in the middle of summer, but pretty much stick with the porcelain. I also have found that Urban Decay has a super pale foundation with pinker undertones that works pretty good. Two Faced has just made a new pale foundation I just started using which is also pretty good.

It is hard it seems when you are super pale or super dark to find the right shade. I'm willing to pay extra money on a good foundation, but I know some people are not but can't find anything in drug stores that is pale enough.

yes i actually have some wonderful suggestions, the best are Jay Manuel at HSN com that have opal pigments that diffuse your skin and is awesome .......next is Luminess Air but requir es their Airbrush...so a bit of an investment....but used in Hollywood and gives an angelic finish....read about it, next is bare mineras or other mineral makeup like Dior or Clinique....they are great... i was n cosmetics for quite a few years so im well versed in cosmetics....happy shopping....oh....one last thing, exfoliated regularly will help you makeup go o smoother.

Hi,

I would like to suggest bare minerals you can find at Sephora.com, QVC, or at their own site http://www.bareescentuals.com/. There are many shades of foundation to choose from. I have fair oily skin and I use the original powder in fairly light. I've used this foundation for about 10+ years. The proper way to test foundation is on your jawline if it blends in and disappears that's the correct shade for you. If there is a clear line from your skin tone to the foundation otherwise known as a line of demarcation its the wrong shade. Always use natural lighting to help determine this. artificial store lighting is a definite no. If you are looking for fair shades I would steer you towards fair, fairly light, and light. You can check out barescentuals ie bareminerals website for more info and you can even click their customer service operators to ask questions. I like the abilty to order from them online and check their last chance deals or other sales items. Also there is one shipping fee for the entire order not per item like some places do. I think there shipping fee is $5.95 or something and if you order $50 or more its free shipping. I love BareMinerals they do have a very natural look and feels like bareskin. Even my DH loves how it looks on me versus regular foundation and makeup. So definitely consider Bareminerals as an option

Sincerely,

Nora devoted Bareminerals wearer

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.