Maintaining % of weight at end of workout

BethL

I am absolutely thrilled with STS - the variety, the hard work, the results... and can see why the 1RM is so important, but I'm wondering how everyone is doing maintaining their calculated weight by the end of a workout. In other words, based on my 1RM calculation I should have been able to do a wide grip barbell curl with 30 lbs; however, when that exercise came at the end of Disc 1 when my biceps were fried, I could only manage 20 pounds. Still a great workout, but how does STS/1RM take into account the rest of the test vs. the muscle exhaustion of doing an exercise when it is placed near the end of a workout? I can handle the first half of the work outs well, but by the time I'm about 2/3rds done, I'm finding I have to lessen the weights because Cathe has kicked my butt. Thoughts?

I am absolutely thrilled with STS - the variety, the hard work, the results... and can see why the 1RM is so important, but I'm wondering how everyone is doing maintaining their calculated weight by the end of a workout. In other words, based on my 1RM calculation I should have been able to do a wide grip barbell curl with 30 lbs; however, when that exercise came at the end of Disc 1 when my biceps were fried, I could only manage 20 pounds. Still a great workout, but how does STS/1RM take into account the rest of the test vs. the muscle exhaustion of doing an exercise when it is placed near the end of a workout? I can handle the first half of the work outs well, but by the time I'm about 2/3rds done, I'm finding I have to lessen the weights because Cathe has kicked my butt. Thoughts?

The rest periods and reps in STS are calculated and designed to take into account muscle fatigue, but this is not an exact science. There are many variables that will determine how quickly an individual fatigues and this can even vary from workout to workout for the same person.

A 1RM test is just a game plan that you try to follow. You will have strong days and weak days and you will need to adjust your weights accordingly.

I did disc 22 today ( meso 2- week 4) and Cathe very briefly addresses this. It was the last tricep exercise and Cathe said (paraphrase) you have to take into consideration that you are near the end of the workout and your muscles are tired - " do the best that you can." By the time that I reached the point to do these double arm tricep kickbacks, I could not use 80% of my one rep max (nor do I think that anyone in the Dvd could). She also mentioned earlier in this disc that it natural for the muscle to fatigue and this was the intent in meso 2.

I think that this was the first time in STS that I was unable to use my targeted weight. Those close grip pushups to failure just prior to the tricep kickbacks really got to my triceps. Great workout!

The rest periods and reps in STS are calculated and designed to take into account muscle fatigue, but this is not an exact science. There are many variables that will determine how quickly an individual fatigues and this can even vary from workout to workout for the same person.
A 1RM test is just a game plan that you try to follow. You will have strong days and weak days and you will need to adjust your weights accordingly.

I'm glad to hear this because I was getting down on myself for hitting failure early and being forced to lower my weights with certain exercises. I just did Meso 2 disc 16 with weights at 75% of 1RM and it was a killer:eek:.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I don't feel like such a whimp anymore! I just finished disc 7 and I don't think my pecs will ever be the same after those pushups. What a fabulous workout!!!

Beth, I did disc 11 for the second time thru yesterday (I'm doing the longer rotation, doubling up the weeks). This was the first workout (so far) where I had this issue. It was at the very end of the workout, Cathe has us do drop sets of over head shoulder presses. Last week, I lightened my weights, but THIS week I picked up what the workout card said I SHOULD be using (27,22,17) and did as many reps as I could. The first 2 sets were only 7 & 6.5 reps, but the 3rd set was all 10 reps.

I liked using my targeted weights better than lightening up, but that's a personal choice.

You certainly aren't alone.

Gayle

Thanks everyone for the responses. I don't feel like such a whimp anymore! I just finished disc 7 and I don't think my pecs will ever be the same after those pushups. What a fabulous workout!!!

Yeh Beth,

I finished Disc 7 today as well, I felt the pecs, but I felt it even more in the shoulders (ouch) and I can feel them say 'hello' to me. I fully expect some soreness tomorrow.

Glad someone else is on the same timing as me!

Best to ya!;)

I thought I was the only one feeling that way on disc 7! I did disc 7 yesterday and at the end I couldn't use the targeted weights. I also couldn't finish the push ups! I mostly feel the soreness in my shoulders.

Last edited:
same here

I was so frustrated this morning swithcing my weights around on a few exercises. I couldn't go up from last week on a few - i'm on week 2 of MS2 and did chest/tris/shoulders today. I'm glad it's not just me!

Me Too!

I'm glad to hear this because I was getting down on myself for hitting failure early and being forced to lower my weights with certain exercises. I just did Meso 2 disc 16 with weights at 75% of 1RM and it was a killer:eek:.

I Am still in Meso One and did disk 8 today.

I hit failure in some exercises.

I suppose that is good thing!

Disk 7 hardest for me so far

I thought I was the only one feeling that way on disc 7! I did disc 7 yesterday and at the end I couldn't use the targeted weights. I also couldn't finish the push ups! I mostly feel the soreness in my shoulders.

I am in the middle of Meso one.

I did Disk 7 this week.

It hit me the hardest in terms of DOMS.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.