Magic Jack Phone Service

melagras

Cathlete
Does anyone use this? I'm trying to "trim the fat" from by budget. I keep seeing commercials about it and it looks enticing. Is it worth fooling with?

Knowing nothing futher about it then what I see in the commercials, I've always thought of it as "too good to be true" and wondered what the catch was...

Knowing nothing futher about it then what I see in the commercials, I've always thought of it as "too good to be true" and wondered what the catch was...
Like the old saying - if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I think I just answered my own question.

My DH and I just got MagicJack Plus.

We were extremely tired of our phone company's exorbitant rates (plus all sorts of added fees and services which seemed to expand every month), not to mention the terrible and rude customer service.

As for MagicJack, so far so good. It wasn't too difficult to install, and the connection so far seems to be clear -- but it's only been a few days, so the jury is still out.

We "de-bundled" our service with our previous phone service provider, so we still get Internet through them. We were able to transfer or "port" our old number over to MagicJack, which was key for us.

So far so good, and we figure if it doesn't work out, we'll just switch back to our previous phone service provider, since the phone number is transferable (something MagicJack was not able to do until fairly recently).:D

I never got mine to work for some reason, but I have 3 family members who have used magicjack for years. I just use my cell exclusively.

My mother has it, she has to have her computer on all day and night for it to work. and if we shut down the compiter for any reason, I have a hard time reloading it for her. but I think it's a good service.
I don't have it because my computer (DSL) requires a phone line. So I would have to get something else in order to get on my computer.

Hers is comcast so she already pays a high price for her internet.

It seems there is no way around high costs..

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.