Lunges vs. Step-ups

wutherhi

Cathlete
Can someone please explain the difference, in terms of effects, between lunges and step-ups?

Thanks,
Shari

Hi Shari! This is not an educated answer but from my own personal experience with the step ups, they are #1 to me for keeping my butt in high gear( a definite gravity fighter in that area}(

RE: Francine - Lunges vs. Step-ups

Francine,

Do you do step ups with as heavy weight as you can handle keeping good form? Or do you use a bit less weight and do many more reps?
Do you genetically have a bubble butt?
What do you think about glute raises(like from Muscle End.)?

That's an excellent question. I've often wondered myself. If you don't get a detailed response, I will do some web research and get back to you. I suspect they do pretty much the same things.
-Nancy

It's the same joint action for both exercises - hip and knee extension, so both target the glutes, hamstrings, and quadriceps.

The step up allows for a greater range of hip and knee extension, which places more focus on the glutes and quads, but Nancy is right. They do the same things.

-Roe

I think you just gave us our new superhero nickname. We're the (insert loud, energetic, Superman-type music here):
Gravity Fighters! We take on the evil forces of gravity and fight for the right not to sag! Now all we need are capes!

Shari (Gravity Fighter Cadet)

P.S. Thanks, again, Francine! You're terrific! I've learned so much from you. I'm off to fight for that bubble butt!

or.....I think even better for the gluteals....hover squats and/or sit and stands! They get my vote!

Janice

I use my fanny lifter which is 14". Can't wait for the mini step - then I can go a bit higher. I prefer the step up to the lunge. I feel I can keep better track of my form and it is easier on my knees, though dips or static lunges are no problem.
It has made a difference in my behind, which was rounded anyway but was splaying a bit due to my 42 years.;-)

Hello,

I am unable to use anything higher than 10 inches because it tends to irritate my knees. Given this fact, am I wasting my time by doing step ups because I can't go as high as 14 inches? I know the step ups do work, but I don't want to waste my efforts.

Thanks.

So lunges do the exact same thing as steping up on a 12 inch step with weights ? ......... thanks Rhonda:7

Based on my own subjective experience, I find lunge backs from an 8 inch step to be tougher than step ups. Balance is harder and I feel it a lot more in the quads, especially if I lunge back slowly.

"I find lunge backs from an 8 inch step to be tougher than step ups"

Thanks! I'll have to try that!! ;-)

I agree and this is a favourite move of mine that i stick in wherever i can. Lunge back off the step, down for a 3 count then pull back up to standing, and it burns in the quads and the glutes after about 6 on each side, say in the middle of your routine with 12 pound dumbells......or whatever works for you.

Love this move.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.