Lunges and Deadlift Questions

carres1973

Cathlete
I have questions about two different leg exercises but didn't want to waste the space and post twice:p.

1. Why are back lunges "easier" than front lunges? When I do front lunges, the knee of my "back" leg (the one I didn't move forward) hurts a little. It doesn't hurt at all when doing back lunges.

2. Why when I am doing calf raises, would I feel it in my hamstrings? Is it one long muscle or am I doing it wrong (or both:eek:)?

Thanks to any and all for taking the time to answer.

Carrie

I find back lunges easier (on the body) because there is a much lesser possiblity of lunging 'forward' into the front knee. I never noticed a difference in the back leg before, but perhaps it's because you are able to place the leg in better allignment when stepping back.

Hamstrings and calf muscles are separate muscle groups, though they meet at the knee. You may be feeling the move in the hamstrings because you are somehow isometrically contracting the hamstrings when working the calves, tensing the upper leg.

ETA: I just realized your thread title mentions deadlifts, but you talk about calf raises in the post. Did you intend to ask something about deadlifts?

I now use the topper of my high step or else my Reebok core board for my front leg on front lunges. Now I can do them without any problem at all. Just watch, since it is your back leg bothering you though, that you are not touching the floor or stretching too far forward with your front leg. Both legs should be at 90 degrees.

After reading suggestions here, I too started using the top of my step for front lunges. It really does make a huge difference, at least for me. I also agree that back lunges are easier. :) I'm not a "lunge lover" anyway so anything to make them seem easier and I'm all for it!

I find back lunges easier (on the body) because there is a much lesser possiblity of lunging 'forward' into the front knee. I never noticed a difference in the back leg before, but perhaps it's because you are able to place the leg in better allignment when stepping back.

Hamstrings and calf muscles are separate muscle groups, though they meet at the knee. You may be feeling the move in the hamstrings because you are somehow isometrically contracting the hamstrings when working the calves, tensing the upper leg.

ETA: I just realized your thread title mentions deadlifts, but you talk about calf raises in the post. Did you intend to ask something about deadlifts?

No, I put the wrong exercise in the title. I tried to go back and edit but you can't edit the title, I guess.

Carrie

I now use the topper of my high step or else my Reebok core board for my front leg on front lunges. Now I can do them without any problem at all. Just watch, since it is your back leg bothering you though, that you are not touching the floor or stretching too far forward with your front leg. Both legs should be at 90 degrees.

I have seen that suggestion before and will try that. I also find that my knees feel better doing "full" squats like done with kettlebells as opposed to where legs are at 90 degrees (or in my case, 100-110 degrees). Maybe I am just a strange bird:eek:!

Carrie

I also find that my knees feel better doing "full" squats like done with kettlebells as opposed to where legs are at 90 degrees (or in my case, 100-110 degrees). Maybe I am just a strange bird:eek:!
Perhaps not such a strange bird at all: According to my chiropractor, full squats (if you can do them without pain) are probably safer for the knee than 90-degree squats, because stopping at the 90-degree position puts more stress on the ligaments.

I have questions about two different leg exercises but didn't want to waste the space and post twice:p.

1. Why are back lunges "easier" than front lunges? When I do front lunges, the knee of my "back" leg (the one I didn't move forward) hurts a little. It doesn't hurt at all when doing back lunges.

2. Why when I am doing calf raises, would I feel it in my hamstrings? Is it one long muscle or am I doing it wrong (or both:eek:)?

Thanks to any and all for taking the time to answer.

Carrie

Carrie, . . .I've thought the same thing! With my calf raises I too feel it in my hamstrings but I don't mind since I like working two body parts at the same time. I've got man calves though. With the lunges I wonder if doing back or front works different muscle parts. I don't like the front lunges as much either. I find that when I'm doing gym style legs I'll do all back lunges instead of the front ones.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.