LowMax Question about the "kicks"

Elle_p

Cathlete
Hi everyone,
Can someone let me know if there is a trick to doing "kicks" correctly? In the LowMax DVD there are certain sections where there is a lot of kicking and although i can get through them, they feel awkward.

I'm specifically thinking about the kicks around the world (leg is kicked straight out), the kicks to the side (smash), and the side kick after touching the step (like the smash). It's a quick movement so it's kind of hard to see how Cathe and crew are doing them. I know the knee should face forward for the side kick but it feels awkward.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Elle

Elle do you have any of Cathe's kickboxing workouts? She explains them more in those.

If you don't...
The kicks around the world should be just a regular kick where you swing your leg out parallel with the step. Some of them bend their knees on some of the kicks which also works.

The way I do the LM smash kick is to have the point of imaginary impact be my heel with my big toe pointing toward the ground. You've got to bring your knee in and out as you kick through your heel.

The way I do the LM side kick is to point my toe and have my knee lead but sweep my toe to the front as if you were trying to close a door from the bent over position you are in. LOL that doesn't make much sense but it's the best way I can type it!

HTH a little

I personally don't do the 'round-the-world kicks with a straight leg (it can be harder on the lower back). I substitute a kickboxing front kick instead.

I know the knee should face forward for the side kick but it feels awkward.
Make sure the non-kicking foot is turned away from the kick (so the heal is pointing in the direction of the kick). That can help get the kicking foot in the right position (and is proper KB form).

HTH!

Thanks Amy and Kathryn for your advice. I will try out these techniques the next time i do the workout. I have never really done any kick box type of workouts before.

Kick, Punch, & Crunch has been on my wish list for a while. I'll probably get it now since i got the 20% off deal from my calendar purchase.

Thanks again for your help.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.