Lower back pain when do plyo legs

TG007

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and all Cathletes!

I've been working on STS and now I'm on Meso cycle 3.

So 2 weeks ago I did Plyo Legs (STS disc 26) and felt pain in my lower back when I jump up on the box. I kept on working and after I finished workout I had lower back pain.

I didn't believe it was from jumping. I thought I was doing too vigorous cobra when I stretch.

I take pain killer and felt better after quite a few days.

And after that I feel pain after every time I do Plyo Legs (Disc 29 and yesterday Disc 32).

So today I finish my 3rd week of Mesocycle 3 and my lower back is in pain.

It takes this long for me to realize that the pain is from jumping up and down the box (the first pain happened when I jumped.).

OMG! Is it because I'm older now (55)? It has to be my age because I have done STS so many many times since it first came out and never had this problem before.

OMG! What am I going to do? (Next week I will not do the 4th Plo Legs for the time being just to be safe). Does it mean I can't jump anymore?

So I just wanted to ask if anyone has this same problem. Any advice, comments?

Thank you!!!!
TG

Hi TG, I don't know but I would be careful about any kind of back pain. I don't do high impact anymore because of having back pain doing them. I modify the plyos by either eliminating the jumping and just going side-to-side with my arms going up or I jump on the step alternating feet, so if there are 4 plyos I will jump up 2 times on each side. Also, I purchased a trampoline which has been the best for me to do any high impact on that and still get my heart rate up. So that you don't get hurt any further, please try to modify and see a doctor, or I normally see a chiropractor regarding any back issues. I got to a chiropractor once a month for a nice adjustment and that has kept me injury free for a long time. Of course, I am sure many of the ladies on this forum will have very excellent suggestions too. Oh, you are not old, I'm 59 and my back started giving me problems in my 20s, actually my back is better now at 59 then it was in my 20s, constant back pain. Good luck.

No more jumping for me. I've got issues with the sacroiliac joint (between sacrum and hip). I've been to PT twice for it already and jumping is just not worth it anymore.

I advise you to figure out what your pain is from.

Beth

I had the same problem. I lowered the step and that helped. I have Spondy( my spine shifts forward) so I do not do planks or any hyperextension(cobras, updogs) or push ups. That was ten years ago and I still jump and run and I'm turning 57 in two weeks.

The most effective remedy is an oral anti-inflammatory medication. Just don't overdo it - they are safe only for the first time. If taken for a long time, such drugs can cause ulcers and bleed in the gastric mucosa. Traditional home treatment - non-steroidal ointments - can be used only as a supplementary measure. They are harmless but ineffective. Wearing a corset also gives relief - the fixation unloads the spine, relieves spasms, and limits sudden movements. Only the corset should be regular - elastic, not warming. If the treatment did not give effect within three days, you should turn to this incredible medicine.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, there's quite a bit of technique with box jumps.
You can easily injure if you land with your back rounded instead of upright. Or if you jump back without being ready for the impact. It is easy to lose form when you're getting tired and sucking wind.

Here's a link with some helpful reminders:
https://wodprep.com/blog/box-jumps-beginners/

Also, sometimes a move highlights a weakness or area of your body you need to address that you may not have realized.

In other words, I injured my knee while running. It wasn't the running per se that injured my knee. I had imbalances and weaknesses in my quads and glutes that caused my knee to be susceptible to injury.

So my point is, don't stop your investigation at the event. Maybe your form was perfect so then you may need to take a hard look at what your prehab routine is for addressing your low back/hip/hamstrings imbalances or weaknesses.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.