Low sugar BBQ sauce??

Repo

Cathlete
My DH was just diagnosed with type II diabetes and he loves BBQ chicken. I need a low sugar BBQ recipe or ready made sauce. Anybody!!!

My DH was just diagnosed with type II diabetes and he loves BBQ chicken. I need a low sugar BBQ recipe or ready made sauce. Anybody!!!

I've seen a good number of Insta posts with people using the G Hughes brand. Never tried myself so I can't personally vouch for taste or nutritionals, but I do know it's a whole line of sugar free sauces (bbq, teriyaki, etc) and is available at stores like Walmart

My DH was just diagnosed with type II diabetes and he loves BBQ chicken. I need a low sugar BBQ recipe or ready made sauce.

Sorry to hear this ... you guys will be starting a new adventure learning about this disease, and learning how various foods & ingredients affect blood sugar levels. The good news is there some good evidence Type II DM can be reversed with good nutrition, exercise and other healthy habits. Read Jadon Fung's books.

As to your question,
I sometimes make my own substituting Swerve for the sweetener in recipes. Swerve takes some getting used to as it has a cooling effect on the tongue. I used to dislike powdered stevia, but stevia extract has less of an aftertaste than powdered stevia -a small amount goes a long way. If you want bottled sauce, Primal Kitchen makes no/low sugar sauces including a couple of BBQ sauces. I sometimes purchase directly online from primal kitchen or Amazon, but my local grocery, & Target, Whole Foods, etc stores now carry some of their dressings and sauces. Be careful when choosing other so-called low-sugar sauces as they sometimes have sweeteners that affect blood sugar just like table/common sugar.

Just a word of caution, diabetes is very serious and sugar addiction is a contributing factor ... it might be worth considering eliminating all sugars/sweeteners, grains, starches, processed foods, high carb vegetables & fruits to bust through the addiction ... there will be withdrawal symptoms the first week or two, but eating low carb and/or including intermittent fasting can rapidly decrease blood sugar levels ... talk about it with his primary care provider or endocrinologist because if he's been prescribed Rx, this needs to be carefully watched & managed or his blood sugar level could plummet too quickly. Good luck.

I need a low sugar BBQ recipe
Here is a very good one from CHEF AJ:

14 oz bag frozen Fire Roasted Onions and bell peppers, thawed
14.5 oz can of Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes, no salt added
3 oz sun dried tomato (NOT marinated in oil, just sun dried)
1/2 cup Smoke (or Hickory) infused Balsamic Vinegar
1 T Smoked Paprika (NOT regular sweet paprika)
1 t Garlic Powder
1 t Onion Powder
1/2 t Mustard powder
1/4 t Chipotle Powder

Blend all together.

NOTES:
*The 14 oz Fire Roasted Onions and bell peppers used to be available Frozen at Trader Joe's.
*I actually prefer to make my own onions and peppers: 7 oz carmelized onions + 7 oz roasted red bell peppers (both made with NO oil!)
*The brands "California Balsamic" & "Be Ma & Pas" both have a very good and "clean" Smoke/Hickory Balsamic Vinegar

I use this as a dip, a hummus, mixed with jackfruit for BBQ, and my favorite, twice baked potatoes: A layer of Yukon, Hannah, or Japanese mashed potatoes, topped with a layer of this BBQ sauce, topped with a layer of Yukon, Hannah or Japanese Sweet potatoes, topped with another layer of this BBQ sauce and baked at 400 for 60-ish minutes. (My favorite combo is Hannah + Japanese).

Here is a very good one from CHEF AJ:

14 oz bag frozen Fire Roasted Onions and bell peppers, thawed
14.5 oz can of Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes, no salt added
3 oz sun dried tomato (NOT marinated in oil, just sun dried)
1/2 cup Smoke (or Hickory) infused Balsamic Vinegar
1 T Smoked Paprika (NOT regular sweet paprika)
1 t Garlic Powder
1 t Onion Powder
1/2 t Mustard powder
1/4 t Chipotle Powder

Blend all together.

NOTES:
*The 14 oz Fire Roasted Onions and bell peppers used to be available Frozen at Trader Joe's.
*I actually prefer to make my own onions and peppers: 7 oz carmelized onions + 7 oz roasted red bell peppers (both made with NO oil!)
*The brands "California Balsamic" & "Be Ma & Pas" both have a very good and "clean" Smoke/Hickory Balsamic Vinegar

I use this as a dip, a hummus, mixed with jackfruit for BBQ, and my favorite, twice baked potatoes: A layer of Yukon, Hannah, or Japanese mashed potatoes, topped with a layer of this BBQ sauce, topped with a layer of Yukon, Hannah or Japanese Sweet potatoes, topped with another layer of this BBQ sauce and baked at 400 for 60-ish minutes. (My favorite combo is Hannah + Japanese).
Thanks for the recipe!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.