Low max

KarieH34

I’m not a stepper and get frustrated when I can’t get down step choreography. That being said I’ve always been intrigued by Low Max. I have Cathe on demand and have watched bits a pieces of it. I would love to do it but I keep telling myself I’ll never get the moves down, get frustrated, and waste my workout time. So for those of you that aren’t good steppers, what are your thoughts on how hard now max is to learn? It looks fun but I don’t want to feel like I’m wasting my time trying to keep up

Low Max has to be one of my all time favorites. I felt so accomplished when I learned that one. I was fairly new to Cathe & I had never really done stepping before. I started with her Basic Step & Body Fusion dvd. Then Low Impact Step, the intermediate one. Actually followed her Beginner rotation. For Low Max or any with several combos, learn one combo at a time, just repeat until you get it. When you get one, add another, then another. When you get used to how she cues, and the steps she uses, it will come easier. You will love it. I haven't stepped regularly for a while and still take my time getting the steps down when getting back into it. You can do it.

Low Max is also one of my favorites. Cathe does teach the combos in layers and you repeat a segment in the combo before moving to another segment before putting them all together - she doesn't throw the sequences at you at once (except for the "blasts" - but those are not combos IMHO). If you are familiar with her step terminology, then it should be fairly easy to master. It does take a few tries but the combos are not terribly complex and you will get the hang of it pretty quickly.

There are a couple of tricky moves (reverse mambo, for example), but most of it is very doable. One recommendation for learning new step moves is to add a little bit (like one combo) onto another workout. That way you don't have to feel pressured to get it all at once. Since you'll get your heart rate up doing something else, you can take your time and rewind if you have to without feeling the pressure that you "have to" get a perfect workout in.

If you want to do a step routine you can do Low Impact Step. It is the one with Cathe wearing the red tank top. It will get you sweating. There is a warm-up, combo 1, blast 1, combo 2, blast 2 and cool down. If you are having problems with Low Max do that one. I love that one. The only problem in combo 2 is you will have to jump over the step. But, in Low Max there are pre mixes and on demand you can use it too. I hope this has help. Jennifer

There are a couple of tricky moves (reverse mambo, for example), but most of it is very doable. One recommendation for learning new step moves is to add a little bit (like one combo) onto another workout. That way you don't have to feel pressured to get it all at once. Since you'll get your heart rate up doing something else, you can take your time and rewind if you have to without feeling the pressure that you "have to" get a perfect workout in.

Love this idea! Thanks!

That's what I do too, jodijodi, take 1 combo and get it down pretty good before
Moving on...I still might mess up a little, but not as much usually. Right now I am
Trying to master the moves in Step Moves, to me, that one is tricky to do. I have
Gotten 2 of the combos down and working on the third, but that one might just
Do me in!!

That's what I do too, jodijodi, take 1 combo and get it down pretty good before
Moving on...I still might mess up a little, but not as much usually. Right now I am
Trying to master the moves in Step Moves, to me, that one is tricky to do. I have
Gotten 2 of the combos down and working on the third, but that one might just
Do me in!!

Step Moves can be a tricky one! Even after all these years, I still can't do the triple jog thing on top of the step in Combo 3. I substitute lunges off the side instead. Fortunately the timing is the same. ;-) Good luck!!

Last edited:
Great, jodijodi, thanks for the sub for that move. How about in combo 3, the
Triple run across the step, I just can't get that, is there a substitute move for that?

Speaking of Step Moves, I finally Mastered it! Only took me 2 years! I find that if you keep moving your feet while you do Step that really helps. Like if you are going over the Step, if you keep your moving you tend to be on the right foot.

Still have problems on IMAX 2, routine #9. When Cathe does the T Step, I get on the wrong side, but I still love it! But, it is way hard!

That's funny, I recently have been working on the Rhythmic Step Challenge
Section in Rhythmic Step, I have watched and practiced so many times, that
I can just stop anywhere, walking into a room and do the whole thing from memory
Now, without instruction or music!!! I finally got it! :). Now, the T step, for some
Reason, I didn't have too much trouble with it. I remember when I used to take
Step classes at the fitness center, we did the T step a lot, so that's probably why
It was easier for me.

I’m not a stepper and get frustrated when I can’t get down step choreography. That being said I’ve always been intrigued by Low Max. I have Cathe on demand and have watched bits a pieces of it. I would love to do it but I keep telling myself I’ll never get the moves down, get frustrated, and waste my workout time. So for those of you that aren’t good steppers, what are your thoughts on how hard now max is to learn? It looks fun but I don’t want to feel like I’m wasting my time trying to keep up
I remember when I first try LoMax. I could only do the first 10 minutes. It was on the Step no risers. I was like how does anyone does this?? But, eventually, I finished it!! Just keep trying you will get it!!

Still have problems on IMAX 2, routine #9. When Cathe does the T Step, I get on the wrong side, but I still love it! But, it is way hard!

LOL, I just did IMAX 2 yesterday, and as I was doing #9, I was thinking to myself how I used to have trouble with being on the wrong side of the step on that one! But I can do it just fine now. For me the key was remembering that each time you do 3 knees off the end of the step, so you end up on the other side each time. (2 knees in the t step, plus another knee). But I know that advice didn't work for my sister. I'm sure you'll get it eventually!

LOL, I just did IMAX 2 yesterday, and as I was doing #9, I was thinking to myself how I used to have trouble with being on the wrong side of the step on that one! But I can do it just fine now. For me the key was remembering that each time you do 3 knees off the end of the step, so you end up on the other side each time. (2 knees in the t step, plus another knee). But I know that advice didn't work for my sister. I'm sure you'll get it eventually!
Thank You! Any advice is greatly appreciated with the Step! When I get to do IMAX 2, I will try your advice!

I was wondering JodiJodi, when you do a Cathe workout, one that is really hard fo you have an outer body experience??? Like you are concercating so hard and your heart is pumping so hard and you think you are going to die and then you feel like you are away from your body and you see yourself doing it, but you aren’t there?? Okay thanks Jen Den

I don't know that that is how I would describe it, but I have certainly reached what has been called the "puking in a bucket" feeling, and you can probably guess what I mean by that! :p;):D:oops:

I don’t vomit! I go to the other end. Isn’t that gross! So, I make sure I go to the bathroom before I do a workout. I remember I was going Cathe BodyBlast Series: Kick, Punch and Crunch. And after 15 minutes, more then kick came out of me. I ran to my bathroom. You get the picture. So all of those Cathletes at there, before you do, remember to go!

Sorry for this gross comments. Jen Den

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.