Low Max

erinw

Cathlete
I did this workout for the first time this morning. I loved the length- it was perfect for an cardio endurance workout. But I thought it was a bit too low impact. I loved the blasts; they were super tough and got my heart rate up even though there was no bouncing. But the choreographed sections were also very low impact and my heart rate dropped quite a bit. Does anyone else have that same problem? She did a lot of marching in place or tap steps and it was not intense enough for me in spots. Maybe I should try an 8 inch step, but that tends to hurt my knees since I am short. Oh, and that first combo was very complicated. I couldn't get that reverse mambo step at all! Otherwise the combos were fun, though. What does everyone else think of this workout?

If you don't find the step portions of the workout intense enough, there are several moves where you could add intensity by jumping them (the over the top moves, any repeaters, etc.). Also, work on range of motion on those moves that are hard to add impact too, as this will increase the intensity as well. Go HIGH on the up moves, and LOW on the down moves, and use big arm and leg movements.

I think the first combo is a bit complicated, and seems even more so because it's not as well cued as it could be.

Did you do this to FitTV? It's on right now.

Low Max was actually intended to be done on an 8" step. That could be why you didn't feel it as intensely. I know this is an intense workout for me. I am short as well (5'2") and I do it on an 8" step but I can understand that you wouldn't want to injure yourself. Why not try just a couple of blasts with an 8" step to start and then build yourself up from there. The reverse mambo takes a little practice but you'll get it. If you just think right, left, right, left, right, left. Start turning to the right with the right foot (now you're facing the back) step left, mambo down with the right, step back up on the step with the left, step with the right, turn left with the left foot and step down on the right. Just try practicing that move by itself a few times before doing the workout. I love Low Max and always look forward to doing this workout. It is so much fun.

Marcy

Erin-
Lo Max is great for those days when you need a little less impact and still want to get the heartrate up there. But I LOVE Lo Max so much that I also want to use it for intensity as well. Here are links to several previous posts listing various intensifiers and modifications for Lo Max. You might also consider going with the 8 inch step, try it for the first half and see if it bothers your knees the next day.

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=53622
&mesg_id=53622&listing_type=search

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=56026
&mesg_id=56026&listing_type=search

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=49098
&mesg_id=49098&listing_type=search

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=50152
&mesg_id=50152&listing_type=search

Just keep practicing (try a move in slow motion first) and you'll get the moves!
Mattea

Thanks for the tips and suggestions, ladies. I don't have Fit TV, so I just did the DVD this morning (to whomever asked me that). I will try half of the workout on an 8 inch step and see how it goes. I started doing step (about 12-13 years ago now, wow!) on an 8 inch step but had so much knee pain, my instructor at the time said I was probably too short for that height (but I'm 5'6" so I don't consider myself that short). So I've used a 6 inch step since, and am probably too used to it now. But I am all for a challenge and will see how it goes.

I have been doing LoMax since January and have found it to be quite intense. I am probably not the advance excerciser that you are, but I know that it took me at least a month to be able to do the entire tape without stopping, and that was only on the step, no risers. I just recently (couple of weeks ago) started adding 1 set of risers, but have to take them out by Combo #4 or I am not going to finish the workout.:p

Amy

I have only done this workout a few times so far and I have found similar to you. I found the first combo quite complicated and that (meaning I kept stopping and starting) and the fact that there is a lot of walking on the floor, meant my heart rate didn't really get up. I routinely use an 8' step.

However about halfway through the combos seem to get shorter and the blasts more intense and then I really started to enjoy it and find it was taking a bit more effort. I am going to try and learn it well to give the beginning the best chance and then either try some of the modifications suggested or maybe do the last 4 combo/blasts through twice instead of doing the whole thing.

Ruth

Hi Erin,
I first found low max on Fit-Tv which leaves out a lot of the segments so I ordered it through Cathe's web-site and boy do I love it.
I'm short too, only 5'1" and I could do 8" when I did it on Fit-TV, but when I have the entire 70 minutes to do I have to use a 6" step in order to get through the whole thing.
I agree that Step Blast and IMax 2 are much more challenging because of the high impact jumps and plyos but when you really want to burn those lower limbs...LOW MAX is the way to go. Somebody suggested doing some jumping, lifting type moves on some of the low impact moves which I do such as jumping over the top instead of walking over the top, etc....have found that to really get my heart pumping...
I also had trouble with the first combo at first but I realized I was overcomplicating it....I did it on the floor while closely watching the girls on the TV and then "light dawned on marble head"!!!! I got it!!! So keep trying..you'll get it I'm sure of it!
HAPPY STEPPING!!!

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. I will try an 8" step the next time I do it. And I will keep trying to get that first combination down. I may have to watch it several times through to get it. It was a new move for me! I like a lot of the suggestions on how to increase the intensity a bit, so thanks for all of the tips!

LoMax is approx 70 min long. Because of the "warm-up" jumping right into the work out, I actually view it as Combo #1 instead of the warm-up. I actually use a Leslie Sansone 1 mile tape as a warm up then jump to LoMax. Yes the first combo and the 3rd (the step/sweep) combos are a little tricky, but I played them at 1/2 speed and did them without the step the first time through and like someone else said, "the light dawned". The 1/2 speed helped the most, though!

Amy

Erin-

I pause the DVD player then push the fast forward button until it goes the speed that I want it to (from pause, it starts out at 1/4 speed, then 1/2 speed, etc.). It works great for when I am trying to learn the tricky footwork!

HTH!!!

HTH!!

I definitely plan on using when I get my new Cathe workouts! I just have to decide which ones I am going to get next!

So many Cathe tapes.......so few dollars!!!!

I did Low Max again this morning and used an 8" step for half of it. That really made a difference. It was much tougher and my legs are super sore. Good workout. I think I am starting to get the first combo down, too.

I actually approach LowMax as a lower body workout, in other words, it's bit of a hybrid. I wouldn't reach for LowMax for a cardio or even HIIT workout. So, for me, it has a specific focus of really challenging the larger lower body muscles while maitaining an elevated heart rate.
I am 5'2" and do LM on the 8". I also have started using 4lb dumbells for the blasts which really jacks up the HR and calorie burn as you are actually working compound muscle groups.
Today I burned 845kcal's, Avg HR=139, Max HR= 162.
Sometimes you need to look for the additional challenge if you know your form is good and you still don't "feel it".

I love this workout. I was afraid of it at first because the steps looked very complicated but after doing it a few days in a row I was able to get all the moves down. Although when I do the workout i really have to stay focused or else I slip up and have to rewind! This tape really kicks my butt. whem I am done I am a puddle of sweat and I love it!!!! I consider myself an upper intermediate exerciser - definitely not advanced. I will not consider myself advanced until I can do all of my cathe tapes without stopping or feeling like I'm going to pass out!! hahaha. Its a good thing though. Anyway, just wanted to add my 2 cents. I love love love Low Max!!!!!

I also love this workout. I did it for the first time this morning on an 8" rather than 6" step. Wow...didn't know it could make such a difference. I was sweatin' huffin' and puffin'!!

Paula

I love low max. I'm 4'11 and have always done it on a 8 inch step. It works my legs great and I don't consider it a cardio workout either, but a great lower body workout!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.