Low Impact Sweat Review

I chose to do this workout first because I thought I would be less stressful on my knees and I saw several opportunities for challenging the balance while previewing the workout. I am a Beginner/Intermediate exerciser who is recovering from Patella Chondromalacia (basically the tissue lining under my knee cap has worn down and until I get my quadricep more developed, it will continue to cause me pain and discomfort.)
The warm and first exercise when as I expected. From there on out there where several wonderful surprises that from viewing the workout you wouldn't think these exercises would be so difficult. The Discus Throw was very challenging for me even with the 3 lb weight that Cathe used! I'll have to pyramid down in weight the next time I do it! The alternating side kick/squat I had about the same form as I expected I would have. With the forward pickup lunge when using the weight to do this exercise I found that I have to 1-go slower and 2-use a 8 inch square step to place the weight down onto because my knee will not allow me to bend to the angle Cathe was doing during the exercise. The next few exercises I was able to do, however once again, I slowed down my pace to be sure the ROM was correct for my knees. I really liked the L slides on corner! They gave me a nice "recovery" (although when you're in the middle of the exercise it certainly doesn't feel like it) from the dynamic exercises I was doing. The cross back lunges with weights, I found I needed to go shower in order to (once again) make sure my form was correct. Next time I think I'll use 2 lbs during that workout or maybe even 1 lb! A lot of theses moves I noticed I felt better after slowing down and keeping my form in check instead of trying to keep up with Cathe.
I went on to see how well I would do at the Cardio 2 which uses a step. The sprint shooters I usually do without a step because it bothered my knee, however I did them with a step today (only the step-no risers) and I felt my quads engaging more, which is nice. I did the Volley forward exercise from the step and I think the next time I do that I'll omit the step until my quads are strong enough to handle the speed of the movement, although it really spiked my heart rate! I really liked the uneven drop squat front swing! The flying angels she did off the side of the step were a nice touch! I really felt it fire through my quads! The rest of the exercises I remember doing from the Ripped w/Hiit series but it was nice that Cathe put an interesting twist on most of the exercises! I plan to do the Level 1 from the ICE series throughout Jan to help get my body back into better shape!

Just did this workout. I did both 1 & 2 w/blizzard blast. Loved some of the new moves like the shot put throw, if you really focus, you can feel this in your abs good. By the end of #1, my quads were a little on fire from the last 3 moves. I enjoyed the step portion a lot because I love how it really gets your heart rate up and legs working without jumping. The only move I modified to the floor was the lean back volley forward, I did not care for that one on the step. Maybe with some practice, but for now, I'm just doing them on the floor. Once again, by the time I was at the last 3 or 4 moves listed, my legs were burning, but feeling good. Blizzard blast was fun and very easy to modify by bringing your step height down and by not jumping. The hardest one for me was the wide box jumps/plyo jacks. But after 4 sets, you get a small break then do 4 more sets. I just wish the stretch was a little longer, so I continued to do my own stretching after esp. in the hips and quads. Another winner for me!!!:D

Didn't have a lot of time this morning so I did the premix of Cardio 1 + Blizzard Blast. Even though it was shorter than I wanted to do, it felt like a great workout. I'm finding that when I can't fit in a full workout, all these short segments are coming in handy and by adding together what I have time for, I still feel like I did a complete workout. I really liked the warmup and how the workouts were familiar yet new things sprinkled in. My favorite part was once the mat came out - all the moves around the mat were so much fun! Love the curtsy crossovers and the L & zig-zags! The Blast used the step & really had me breathing. Thanks again Cathe for so many premix options!!! Another winner for me too!

I chose to do this workout first because I thought I would be less stressful on my knees and I saw several opportunities for challenging the balance while previewing the workout. I am a Beginner/Intermediate exerciser who is recovering from Patella Chondromalacia (basically the tissue lining under my knee cap has worn down and until I get my quadricep more developed, it will continue to cause me pain and discomfort.)
The warm and first exercise when as I expected. From there on out there where several wonderful surprises that from viewing the workout you wouldn't think these exercises would be so difficult. The Discus Throw was very challenging for me even with the 3 lb weight that Cathe used! I'll have to pyramid down in weight the next time I do it! The alternating side kick/squat I had about the same form as I expected I would have. With the forward pickup lunge when using the weight to do this exercise I found that I have to 1-go slower and 2-use a 8 inch square step to place the weight down onto because my knee will not allow me to bend to the angle Cathe was doing during the exercise. The next few exercises I was able to do, however once again, I slowed down my pace to be sure the ROM was correct for my knees. I really liked the L slides on corner! They gave me a nice "recovery" (although when you're in the middle of the exercise it certainly doesn't feel like it) from the dynamic exercises I was doing. The cross back lunges with weights, I found I needed to go shower in order to (once again) make sure my form was correct. Next time I think I'll use 2 lbs during that workout or maybe even 1 lb! A lot of theses moves I noticed I felt better after slowing down and keeping my form in check instead of trying to keep up with Cathe.
I went on to see how well I would do at the Cardio 2 which uses a step. The sprint shooters I usually do without a step because it bothered my knee, however I did them with a step today (only the step-no risers) and I felt my quads engaging more, which is nice. I did the Volley forward exercise from the step and I think the next time I do that I'll omit the step until my quads are strong enough to handle the speed of the movement, although it really spiked my heart rate! I really liked the uneven drop squat front swing! The flying angels she did off the side of the step were a nice touch! I really felt it fire through my quads! The rest of the exercises I remember doing from the Ripped w/Hiit series but it was nice that Cathe put an interesting twist on most of the exercises! I plan to do the Level 1 from the ICE series throughout Jan to help get my body back into better shape!

Firmbeliever, have you ever tried using a patellar tendon strap or a knee brace? I have the same issue as well as tendonitis and those things help support my knees, what has worked a lot for me is the exercises where Cathe does the sumo walks with weights because that really helps work the inner thighs too.. those have really helped along with daily foam rolling and balanced leg and glute strengthening. I bet to the mat legs and glutes will be really good for you!!

Dawn9222- I have a knee brace, but it doesn't seem to support/compress my knee the way its needed. I'll have to try the patellar tendon strap..it looks like there may be some relief in sight after all!! Thanks! I'll post again on here, if it works out!!

Just did this one (#1 & #2 w/ Blizzard Blast) for the first time today and it was a great way to spend an hour of my Christmas day! Lots of variety so there will be no dread factor in the future. I agree fully with firemedic. Workout #2 on the step I found to be much more of a cardio challenge (which I enjoyed) and is definitely great even for advanced exercisers. The pace is fast on many of the drills and I even had to take an extra second to complete a few of them in order to maintain good form and go through the full range of motion, so there's room to grow with the program. I chose 5 lb weights when Cathe used 3s and I used 8s when she used 5s and it was a great way to adapt the workout for a more intense challenge. I plan to try the step segment with 3 risers next time if I get ambitious! ;) The stretch is a little short so I too added some quad and hip stretches afterward. This will definitely fit into my rotations in the future as it gives a few new twists. Cathe always keeps things fresh and fun!

Dawn9222- I have a knee brace, but it doesn't seem to support/compress my knee the way its needed. I'll have to try the patellar tendon strap..it looks like there may be some relief in sight after all!! Thanks! I'll post again on here, if it works out!!
Oh good, I hope they work for you!! I love them!!! Knee pain sucks.. I have been able to be completely pain free, but it is something that is like a rollercoaster for me.. any slacking in my strength training and foam rolling and I'm in pain.. I think because mine is also a tracking issue, balanced strength on each side (inner/outer thigh) and it will pull the patella one way or the other and create more inflammation. Do you take any joint pills or fish oil? That also helps!!Hang in there, I would love to hear if the straps help you!! Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the knee strap/brace suggestion Dawn. I have an issue with knee pain too but don't currently wear anything to alleviate the discomfort. I do take glucosamine pills which help. Osteo bi-flex worked better and I plan to start taking them again once I go thru my supply of glucosamine. What brand is your strap? Do you believe some brands are better than others?

Thanks for the knee strap/brace suggestion Dawn. I have an issue with knee pain too but don't currently wear anything to alleviate the discomfort. I do take glucosamine pills which help. Osteo bi-flex worked better and I plan to start taking them again once I go thru my supply of glucosamine. What brand is your strap? Do you believe some brands are better than others?

Hey dblcark! Actually I used one by Mueller for a few years and it was good, but it seemed to me that it wasn't holding well anymore.. Any bent knee stuff and it started to fall off.. Here is a link to the one i just got and I love it. It stays put! It has a little pad that goes right over the tendon in front and for me it really helps.

http://www.amazon.com/McDavid-414-J...8&qid=1451337281&sr=8-6&keywords=knee+mcdavid

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.