low impact series/ slide issue??/

Grace10209

Cathlete
Im considering getting the lowimpact series and I had questions about the slide n glide parts of the workouts.
My workout area is in my basement, on cement floor, I have two large rubber mat/plyorobic rolls ontop of the floor and this is what I workout on.

I have tried paperplates and they rip and dont work. I dont think her purchasing the slide disks will work on my rubber mat.....
so my questions are.......
1) are there any dvd's in the low impact series that DONT use slide disks?
2) what can i do in my situation unable to do the slide motion?

thanks in advance......

I hope others will chime in here. I believe that the disks are not used at all in Turbo Barre or Total Body Tri-sets (or the two yoga programs). I've been omitting or modifying segments of other programs that require the disks because they bother my lower back. I believe the disks are used only for:

Two short segments of Athletic Training (it's easy to omit the disk component)
Four of 16 drills in Cardio Supersets and two sets of burpees in the "bonus" at the end
Four of 20 drills in Afterburn
Two sets of burpees in the "bonus" that is included with Low Impact Challenge (the same bonus that is included with Cardio Supersets)

Possible substitutes for moves involving the disks include conventional jumping jacks for disk jacks and conventional squat thrusts for disk squat thrusts. These substitutes increase the impact, but that might not be a problem for you. The only program that relies heavily on the disks is Slide & Glide. I find that I can get a great workout by doing the Cardio Supersets warm up, rounds 1-4, and the bonus (skipping the two sets of burpees) without using disks at all because disks are not used until rounds 5-8 of that program. I like Afterburn a lot too.

P.S. I too workout on a basement concrete floor. I've got puzzle mats (to reduce the pounding from high-impact programs) covered by an area rug. The disks do not slide as easily as they would on a wood floor, which probably contributes to my lower back strain.

I hope others will chime in here. I believe that the disks are not used at all in Turbo Barre or Total Body Tri-sets (or the two yoga programs). I've been omitting or modifying segments of other programs that require the disks because they bother my lower back. I believe the disks are used only for:

Two short segments of Athletic Training (it's easy to omit the disk component)
Four of 16 drills in Cardio Supersets and two sets of burpees in the "bonus" at the end
Four of 20 drills in Afterburn
Two sets of burpees in the "bonus" that is included with Low Impact Challenge (the same bonus that is included with Cardio Supersets)

Possible substitutes for moves involving the disks include conventional jumping jacks for disk jacks and conventional squat thrusts for disk squat thrusts. These substitutes increase the impact, but that might not be a problem for you. The only program that relies heavily on the disks is Slide & Glide. I find that I can get a great workout by doing the Cardio Supersets warm up, rounds 1-4, and the bonus (skipping the two sets of burpees) without using disks at all because disks are not used until rounds 5-8 of that program. I like Afterburn a lot too.

P.S. I too workout on a basement concrete floor. I've got puzzle mats (to reduce the pounding from high-impact programs) covered by an area rug. The disks do not slide as easily as they would on a wood floor, which probably contributes to my lower back strain.

I had problems in the beginning with getting the disks to slide on a thin carpet. On this forum someone mentioned spraying them with pledge and it worked like a charm. I can now use the disks for everything but the jacks. The jacks just don't feel comfortable so I do regular jacks.

Susan

CTF
thank you. I did watch a clip of total body trisets and thought it looked great.
I have not seen the turbobarre one - will check that out now.
Total body seems to have a lot of different workouts options so I like that.

Thanks for commenting on the others, maybe Athletic Training I could get as you said its minimal......... or afterburn too.

Although I dont have a full step either, just one of the box like ones from the FIRM - its 2 boxes so gets high but its not long.

thanks again -

i too have mats over a cement floor. I ended up laying an old sheet out for slide n glide parts of the workouts. When I do the actual slide n glide workout, I go to the family room with carpet. So far so good. Melissa

I made an error about the need for disks with Afterburn. Five (not four) of the 20 drills require disks, and you can see all of them on the YouTube video clip of the program:
1. disk mountain climbers (shown on the YouTube clip at about 00:30)
2. burpees/straddle push ups (shown at about 00:45)
3. disk jacks (shown at about 1:10)
4. spider man mountain climbers (shown at about 1:20)
5. dragging planks with pushups (shown at about 1:37)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.