Low Impact Challenge vs. Athletic Step

Pedmom

Cathlete
I'm still not getting LIC. AS is on sale this week-can anyone give me a comparison? I much prefer easier, less dancy step. I want to keep step in my routine so I would appreciate opinions on if Athletic Step seems easier to learn than LIC?

Love Athletc Step!

I'm still not getting LIC. AS is on sale this week-can anyone give me a comparison? I much prefer easier, less dancy step. I want to keep step in my routine so I would appreciate opinions on if Athletic Step seems easier to learn than LIC?
AS is easy to learn - haven't done LIC yet, but upon previewing it, it appears to be more complicated than AS. Some one who has done both should speak to this.

AS is really fun, and definitely easier to learn. It ends with some leg work just like LIC, they are both very close in length (47 min vs 50). I think LIS seems harder as far as choreography because Cathe turns her back in combo 4, and she moves quickly through some of the combos because there are familiar moves that have been done on previous workouts, but just done in a different way. Athletic Step involves a little more jumping. Both are extremely fun!! You can't go wrong with either. You might want to preview LIC a few more times to help you get the combos down. Once you get it, you will really enjoy it!!

Okay, I'm weird--nothing new.:D I had a much easier time learning LIC than Athletic Step. The moves in LIC fit together better for me. I love them both, though.

Definitely give LIC a few more tries! The footwork is tricky at first, but once you get it down the transitions feel seemless and you'll work up a nice sweat ;)

AS is easier to learn and has less dancy moves and is also a great addition to your collection... so, no harm in getting that one too!! (wink)

I think AS is much easier to pick up than LIC and its definately not dancy.

I agree. I also get a better calorie burn with AS. The choreography seems to go with the music better than LIC. I think that LIC seemed more designed to be versatile, rather than a smooth flowing routine. AS is very athletic. There are a lot of plyos in it. I still think some of that choreography is tricky. Oh, a very supportive bra is a must on AS;):D

Alisha

I think AS is easier to learn than LIC (although I can't quite get down the pattern in AS involving a shuffle on one end followed by skipping down the step to the other end and another shuffle and skipping back). AS probably provides a greater cardio challenge and calorie burn than LIC (I do both with an 8-inch step, although I believe Cathe and crew did AS with a 6-inch step). AS has much higher impact than LIC, but I've found ways to modify the worst moves in AS (e.g., I don't do the 2-footed jumps up onto the step). I generally like AS. There's a bit of a dread factor for me, but I always feel like I've accomplished something when I finish. I don't think you'd regret getting AS. Don't give up on LIC though. I think it flows better than AS, but that might be because I finally am "getting" LIC after doing it 7 separate times!

7 times! Yikes. Well I guess 2 or 3 times isn't enough.

And it's at combo 4 that I falter every time!

Thanks for the info ladies!

Speaking as someone who has yet to master combo 4 in LIC after doing it twice, I find AS a lot easier to pick up. I got through AS the first time with absolutely no problem. AS is a lot higher impact and harder than LIC, though, if it makes a difference to you.

I've only done LIC once, and frankly am scared to try it again. I will keep trying, but it sure is a lot to think about at 5AM.

Athletic Step is a favorite of mine.

LIC vs Athletic Step

I totally agree with you on preferring less dancy step videos. I have all of Cathe's workouts and some of them took me several weeks to become proficient. This is really what I don't like about new DVD's - they can be so hard to learn. I really found this to be the case with the LIC workout. On the other hand, I really did like the DVD Athletic Step. After a few tries, that is one of my favorites. Guess we'll just have to keep on practicing to get this new one, huh? Good luck!

AS has a few challenging moves, but not so challenging that you cannot get it after a few tries. As for LIC, I have done it once and I still have not tried it again because I felt so daunted by it....and don't want to waste my workout time standing looking at the tv with my mouth hanging open :rolleyes:, scratching my head and wondering what in the world the steps are.

That being said, LIC still looks fun and I believe that I will work on it and master that thing.

AS is a blast, I just did it last week for the ?th time and still enjoyed it.

Neither are dancy in my opinion but AS was easier to learn. Both are fun after you get the rhythm down. I just have to say the steps in my head while doing it and that usually helps.

Since LIC has a learning curve with the choreography I would learn a combo after completing my w/o for the day. I kept the remote in my hand and just rewound it until I got, it is a lot of fun after you master the steps. I hardly ever have trouble with cathe's choreography but this one took me quite a few tries until I mastered it. I always do the last premix which is very challenging and burns a ton of calories!
AS is good but it has a big dread factor for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.