Low Impact Cardio & Metabolic Conditioning Review / Thoughts

cherrypie10

Well, this is the first one out of the gate for me in the Fit/Split series. I consider myself an "advanced" exerciser so when I heard this was marketed as "advanced" I was excited. I own many, many Cathe DVDs and series. I did not purchase the ICE series because it was marketed to the intermediate exerciser (although I do understand that you can always modify to ramp things up). With that said, I have done every single Cathe Live class (except the senior fitness and the bike ones (no bike)) and she does have some Live classes that are based off of the ICE series so I think that I am *somewhat* familiar with the intensity of that series. And I do find myself doing some of those classes on days when I may not feel all there or just need to take it down a notch every now and then. I have even found some of those "intermediate" classes somewhat challenging. I am going somewhere with this... :)

Okay, so with all that said I start Low Impact Cardio. The warm up is the same as usual. I have heard Cathe say that her warm ups are familiar moves that work. I understand that -- but can there not be other moves that work too? The warm ups are always basically the same but no big deal really I guess. They are over soon enough. So then I start the main 17 minute cardio section. Now, generally when Cathe combines these two factors: (1) an advanced workout and (2) a time-sensitive (i.e., short) workout, she really packs a punch in that time. So the program starts and I am thinking "ok, she will ramp it up soon" (even Plyo HIIT One starts out a little generous but BOY does that one get going! -- Plyo HIIT One is one hard 18 minute main workout!). However, Low Impact Cardio does not ever get too difficult. In fact, I would almost say that the ICE classes I have done in Cathe Live are even harder. I realize that this is not a HIIT workout but perhaps I was hoping it would be more *like* her low impact HIIT workouts (e.g., Afterburn, All Out Low Impact, Low Impact HIIT One and Two). I did choose to make some moves higher impact (e.g., woodchops, ice breakers, squat digs, dynamic lounges) but even then my heart rate was not that high. I did not find any of the exercises very challenging. And each exercise was also too short to raise the heart rate in my opinion.

Onto the metabolic conditioning section. I liked this section a bit better but I also did not find it to be an "advanced" program. The most challenging exercises are also the wrist killer ones. Hard to focus on the exercises when my wrists are starting to flame. The weight selection is also a bit on the lighter side for Cathe I think (she uses 8s for rear dealt flys but she almost always uses 10s -- even coming off of another exercise, she uses 8s for bicep curls with cross lounges which could easily be 10s). Yes, I realize that I can increase my weight selection but then I feel like I am modifying an intermediate program to advanced instead of having an advanced program that an intermediate exerciser has to modify down. I have done enough Cathe workouts to be able to make the modifications but I just feel that this was not an advanced program as was marketed/intended.

I also did the bonus ab routine -- WRIST KILLER (especially after the above two main workout sections above) -- see my thoughts in another post responding to someone else who found their wrists on fire!

Music. Meh. I really like when she uses familiar songs like in Party Rockin Step 1 and 2, X10. Not a fan of purely instrumental music. Perhaps Cathe thinks lyrical music is too distracting but I find that type of music more motivating (personal opinion of course).

I hope I grabbed the easiest of the four workouts and the others are harder. Now don't get me wrong -- this is NOT a bad program at all. Like I said, with Cathe, normally: Advanced + Time Sensitive = YOU'RE GONNA WORK. I just didn't get that from this program but an intermediate exerciser should really enjoy it!! You know what they say about opinions though...;):D

My Facebook review. I am much weaker with upper body weights. So for some exercises, my weights were 2 pounds less than hers. Also, just coming back after an injury. A month off from Cathe.

Tried Low Impact/Metabolic today. I am not a big fan of lifting so these split workouts are just what I needed to get some weight work in. Hoping it will motivate me to do the premixes on my other videos. Also wasn’t a fan of discs, but oh boy they definitely work the muscles in a different way. I’m liking the new exercises...very challenging for this cardio girl.

I just finished low impact, metabolic conditioning. I chose this workout because Cherrypie thought it was easy and I'm tired today. It certainly wasn't easy for me! In fact, I couldn't finish the walking planks with knee ins. Gliding disks, pushups and planks do me in. I definitely have room to grow with this workout. This was a hard workout for me, but one I'll want to reach for to improve my strength.

I did this workout today. I loved it. Low impact, new moves, cardio spikes and perfect when you don’t want impact. Total body conditioning part was awesome as well. True To Cathe’s Way - great cueing, solid exercises. I like the planking and ab work throughout. I have broken my wrist several times, and so that can be a weak area for me, but when I do these exercises, it gets stronger. And when it’s too much, I place my hands on a step or I plank with my elbows. Totally easy to adapt/modify when needed. Also - Cathe looks awesome. She is not aging, she’s youthening and a great role model in a million diff ways. My review is 5 stars. Another awesome Cathe workout.!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just finished low impact, metabolic conditioning. I chose this workout because Cherrypie thought it was easy and I'm tired today. It certainly wasn't easy for me! In fact, I couldn't finish the walking planks with knee ins. Gliding disks, pushups and planks do me in. I definitely have room to grow with this workout. This was a hard workout for me, but one I'll want to reach for to improve my strength.

LOL -- Well, I didn't quite say it was "easy". :) I just found it to be more of an intermediate workout -- which will of course be challenging to both beginners and intermediate exercisers. I just did not find it to be an "advanced" program. Generally when Cathe markets something as advanced it is pretty on point.

I DO agree that the walking plans with knee ins, push up, planks are definitely more challenging -- but for me, challenging in the sense that they just kill my wrists. I can hold a plank on my elbows with no problem -- doing the same plank with straight arms and my wrists start to burn, burn, burn. So with the walking planks, I usually do half of the amount Cathe does and then hold an elbow plank for the second half, or put a mat on my step, elbows down, and then the step gives me the clearance to do the knee ins on my elbows. No sense in performing the exercise with bad form and sometimes my wrists lead to bad form.

Low impact was the first of the series I tried and I really liked it. I was not too much concerned about intensity , I supposed it was something similar to "All out low impact " from X-train. I appreciated the new twist on old moves, and concentrated myself on the range of motion and depht of movements. At the end, I felt I had no muscles left untouched and I thought that this one could have been a very good total body workout for my recovery days or when my level of energy is not as high, and when I say "total body" I refer to the cardio portion as well, as I found it complementary to weights in terms of moves. So I do am really satisfied with that!

I loved the variety she does with the weight segment ( which I do first then the cardio..i like how this one is kind of easier then the other workouts to be easier on my knees;) but it gets the job done!!!

I am right there with you on this review! I also expected it to be on the easy side based on Cherrypie's review, but I did not find it easy either. I took a brief break between the cardio and metabolic sections to get my gloves on, and then started out matching Cathe's weights, but by the time those walking planks came around, I did the first two sets, then decided to stop. Normally if I have to stop, I pause so I can at least finish the reps after the break, but not this time! Instead, I just watched the strong ladies finish the planks/moguls, then joined back in when they moved on to the next exercise.

The other exercise I found difficult were the tricep pushups. I started out going all the way to the floor on the 2/2 counts (I can't get to the floor for the singles), but by the end of that segment, I was happy that my elbows were still bending!

Next time, I am going to be prepared for the workout, and will go down one weight increment for everything except the deadlifts. (Also, I will probably move up to 6 pounds for the iron cross segment.) I am hoping that if I pace myself better, my shoulders will have more energy left for the plank/sliding disc section and I will be able to finish all the reps. Once I can finish the entire workout with good form and without pausing, I will consider increasing my weight selection.

I love a new challenge!

I am right there with you on this review! I also expected it to be on the easy side based on Cherrypie's review, but I did not find it easy either. I took a brief break between the cardio and metabolic sections to get my gloves on, and then started out matching Cathe's weights, but by the time those walking planks came around, I did the first two sets, then decided to stop. Normally if I have to stop, I pause so I can at least finish the reps after the break, but not this time! Instead, I just watched the strong ladies finish the planks/moguls, then joined back in when they moved on to the next exercise.

The other exercise I found difficult were the tricep pushups. I started out going all the way to the floor on the 2/2 counts (I can't get to the floor for the singles), but by the end of that segment, I was happy that my elbows were still bending!

Next time, I am going to be prepared for the workout, and will go down one weight increment for everything except the deadlifts. (Also, I will probably move up to 6 pounds for the iron cross segment.) I am hoping that if I pace myself better, my shoulders will have more energy left for the plank/sliding disc section and I will be able to finish all the reps. Once I can finish the entire workout with good form and without pausing, I will consider increasing my weight selection.

I love a new challenge!

I'm right there also-I was expecting easier but no so for me. Those moguls and tricep pushups did me in & the extra plank jack pushups! I thought the kickboxing one was my fave but I may have to change that to this one. I feel so good after doing this one, like every part of me worked hard! I think the shorter length of each segment helps to make it so much fun too. I just did this morning & I want to do it again right now! My husband had not done this one yet before today - he was soaked!

I'm right there also-I was expecting easier but no so for me. Those moguls and tricep pushups did me in & the extra plank jack pushups! I thought the kickboxing one was my fave but I may have to change that to this one. I feel so good after doing this one, like every part of me worked hard! I think the shorter length of each segment helps to make it so much fun too. I just did this morning & I want to do it again right now! My husband had not done this one yet before today - he was soaked!

Oh yes...when did Cathe decide to throw in an extra 6 plank jack pushups???

And so interesting that your husband was soaked! I keep thinking of some of the big, strong coaches and husbands I know, and wondering how they would deal with this routine...even just keeping to Cathe's weight... :)

Oh yes...when did Cathe decide to throw in an extra 6 plank jack pushups???

And so interesting that your husband was soaked! I keep thinking of some of the big, strong coaches and husbands I know, and wondering how they would deal with this routine...even just keeping to Cathe's weight... :)

LOL Carrie - he is crazy strong yet there are times that even using Cathe's weight is tough for him. He admits all the time that Cathe is what has made him so strong & has helped him with his ju jitsu training!

I think this is my fav. workout in the series. I'm torn between this and Mixed Impact Cardio. I've only done 1 workout all the way through and that was the Bootcamp Boxing/Legs and Glutes. I like the shorter workouts, they work best for me. I found the cardio very challenging for it being low impact, esp. using the discs. I find that doing jacks on the discs is harder for me because I actually go deeper like a plyo jack and that really gets my heart rate up. I didn't think I was going to like the mountain climbers because of the quarter turn, but I loved them more than the regular ones. I think Cathe did a great job with this series and am loving just about everything about them.

Posted on Cathletes. But thought I would ask here too :)
Fit Split monster walks are impossible for me. Can everyone do these? Any tricks/modifications so I can eventually do them? I also have to say as I go through these workouts a second time, I’m enjoying them even more and the intensity has increased overall. Maybe just choosing the right weight and upping the cardio now that I know the moves. ❤️

I think this is my fav. workout in the series. I'm torn between this and Mixed Impact Cardio. I've only done 1 workout all the way through and that was the Bootcamp Boxing/Legs and Glutes. I like the shorter workouts, they work best for me. I found the cardio very challenging for it being low impact, esp. using the discs. I find that doing jacks on the discs is harder for me because I actually go deeper like a plyo jack and that really gets my heart rate up. I didn't think I was going to like the mountain climbers because of the quarter turn, but I loved them more than the regular ones. I think Cathe did a great job with this series and am loving just about everything about them.

Yes. The discs really change the exercise and muscles used. I’m enjoying them so much more than I expected.

Posted on Cathletes. But thought I would ask here too :)
Fit Split monster walks are impossible for me. Can everyone do these? Any tricks/modifications so I can eventually do them? I also have to say as I go through these workouts a second time, I’m enjoying them even more and the intensity has increased overall. Maybe just choosing the right weight and upping the cardio now that I know the moves. ❤️
Yes those monster walks are tough! I'm not sure what the modifier would be, maybe instead of lifting your upper body off ground, keep it down but still raise your arm to your leg and gradually lift just your upper shoulders off mat a bit until over time you can lift more of your upper body up. I also have found that the more times I do the FitSplit workouts, the intensity seems to have increased! This one is def my favorite!!!

I also did the bonus ab routine -- WRIST KILLER (especially after the above two main workout sections above) -- see my thoughts in another post responding to someone else who found their wrists on fire!

Music. Meh. I really like when she uses familiar songs like in Party Rockin Step 1 and 2, X10. Not a fan of purely instrumental music. Perhaps Cathe thinks lyrical music is too distracting but I find that type of music more motivating (personal opinion of course).

I couldn't do the ab routine either but many times I have to modify anyway so thought it was just me
Agreed on Music I just posted a wish list for music w lyrics for future videos!!
IMO I don't think Cathe thinks its distracting as she always seems to be having fun with the music e.g. times she's asked "Are you singing along?" "Yes of course!!" :)
I think its that Cathe's team likes to mix it up to do their best to please everyone which I can appreciate.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.