Low carb desserts?

LauraMax

Cathlete
So for months & months I've been eating berries. Tasty, w/the added benefit of low cal & low fat, but I'm bored to death of them. Plus they're out of season now & cost more.

I like my PB, & that's relatively low carb, but the fat & cal content bothers me. Yeah I know, it's the "good" fat, but still..........I seem to be at a point in my life where if I cheat even with an extra tablespoon I gain a pound. :mad:

I can't think of any other low carb desserts, other than that icky, chemical filled crap sold on the Atkins website. Any suggestions? My sweet tooth is desperate!

If you can keep it to a few squares, dark chocolate with a high percentage of cacao really does not have many carbs.

I discovered a protein shake mug cake, it's really not great, but seems to curb some cravings for me.

1 scoop powder, 1 tsp baking powder, a little water to make it like a batter, mix in a mug, microwave for 1 minute. I have been trying to improve the flavor with extra unsweetened cocoa, some form of a fat, and a pack of truvia. Next I'm going to try adding an egg instead of the fat. For the fat, so far I have only tried coconut oil.

Other than that, I'm also at a loss, I have cut out sugar and grains for now, I'll have a bite of someone's dessert when I'm out, but that's about it.

Last edited:
I used to eat this protein cake at night for a sweet dessert:

http://foodsofapril.com/?p=4337

I have also mixed 1 T dark cocoa and stevia to taste in a container of nonfat greek yogurt. I put the mixture in a container in the freezer while I eat dinner. I eat it when it is super cold but not frozen and it tastes like a really thick pudding.

Oooh some great ideas here guys, thanks so much! That protien cake looks awesome, & only 2 carbs per serving! Of course I'm sure a serving is like one bite, but I can have 4 bites & live w/the 8 carbs. :p

I should have mentioned, if you make the protein cake, it really puffs up in the microwave. I use a 2 cup glass container; and when, it cooks, the cake actually puffs up over the top edge of the container (it doesn't spill though). Once you turn the microwave off, the cake will deflate to about half the puffed size. You actually get a decent portion. One serving is actually more like 10 bites (although I guess it depends how big your bite is!) ;)

That cake does look good, and like Laura, I'm always looking for something sweet and low in carbs. I'll have to try this one! Thanks!

So for months & months I've been eating berries. Tasty, w/the added benefit of low cal & low fat, but I'm bored to death of them. Plus they're out of season now & cost more.

I like my PB, & that's relatively low carb, but the fat & cal content bothers me. Yeah I know, it's the "good" fat, but still..........I seem to be at a point in my life where if I cheat even with an extra tablespoon I gain a pound. :mad:

I can't think of any other low carb desserts, other than that icky, chemical filled crap sold on the Atkins website. Any suggestions? My sweet tooth is desperate!

Try sugar free chocolate pudding mixed with uncooked old fashioned oats and scoops or 2 of chocolate protein powder. Let it cool and set overnight and it makes a yummy snack. Skip the oats if you don't want the carbs.

Try sugar free chocolate pudding mixed with uncooked old fashioned oats and scoops or 2 of chocolate protein powder. Let it cool and set overnight and it makes a yummy snack. Skip the oats if you don't want the carbs.

Girl, love your clothes! When will that cute little b&w top be available again??????????

I should have mentioned, if you make the protein cake, it really puffs up in the microwave. I use a 2 cup glass container; and when, it cooks, the cake actually puffs up over the top edge of the container (it doesn't spill though). Once you turn the microwave off, the cake will deflate to about half the puffed size. You actually get a decent portion. One serving is actually more like 10 bites (although I guess it depends how big your bite is!) ;)

Julie, do you think I could use chocolate protein powder instead of regular protein powder plus cocoa powder?

Julie, do you think I could use chocolate protein powder instead of regular protein powder plus cocoa powder?

Most definitely! In fact, I don't know that I ever used plain protein powder to make it. I forgot that her recipe didn't say chocolate protein powder.

YIKES! Carbs galore! :eek:

Yup, and packed with compounds that can help protect your heart, improve cholesterol, prevent inflammation, regulate blood pressure, regulate production of fat in the liver, inhibit the growth of tumors, prevent certain types of cancers, support the lungs, keep the digestive tract moving smoothly, and aid in weight control by slowing the rise of blood sugar.

What's the issue with the carbs?

I wouldn't exactly say that an apple is full of carbs galore. Yes, they have carbs but so not in my carbs galore category.

I'm honestly not sure about the carb count on this because I have never in my life counted carbs. :eek: But when I want a good chocolate fix that is low-cal (and surely this has to be low carbs, considering the amount....), here's what I do: simply mix 1 part cocoa with two parts brown sugar. I usually just eyeball it using an ordinary spoon. Mix it all up really good and it tastes like a nice, rich dark chocolate, but without the added fat. Not really a dessert, but it does the trick lots of times for me.

I often amazed at how many people will choose to ingest unnatural, icky, poopy protein powders rather than eat something natural and healthy like a nice apple.

Yup, and packed with compounds that can help protect your heart, improve cholesterol, prevent inflammation, regulate blood pressure, regulate production of fat in the liver, inhibit the growth of tumors, prevent certain types of cancers, support the lungs, keep the digestive tract moving smoothly, and aid in weight control by slowing the rise of blood sugar.

What's the issue with the carbs?

So do other foods. The issue w/carbs is they make me fat. Not to mention, the title of the thread is LOW CARB DESSERTS! :D Catherine, to me 35 carbs for one apple IS carbs galore for a single snack.

Shannon, that sounds pretty good too! I'll check the carb count & get back to you. ;)

5$footlong, I have so many responses to your rather snarky comment, but I will choose to keep them to myself. Well, I will post half of one......if you don't have anything nice to say & all that.................:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.