Lost - 02/14/08 (spoilers!)

materialsgirl

Cathlete
Alright, Lost fans - what did we think of last night's episode? This was an interesting one - Sayid is an interesting character. Some things we learned last night:

Sayid is one of the Oceanic Six (I think we know 4 of the 6 now? Jack, Kate, Hurley and now Sayid)
Ben will also survive
Naomi had a bracelet given to her by someone with the initials R.G.
Time is apparently slower on the island

Some questions that I'm left with after this episode (well, I have a billion questions, but these are questions specific to what we saw in last night's episode):

What on earth is Sayid doing working for Ben? (Well, obviously, he's killing people - but why?)
Who is Ben's spy on the ship?
Who will be the other 2 Oceanic Six?
Who is R.G. and is it even important? (Methinks it must be, or they wouldn't have shown the bracelet)
Why was it so important that they use the exact same bearings "no matter what" when returning to the ship in the helicopter?

Feel free to discuss and add your own things to these lists...

Oh, I don't know....I'm lost. LOL!

But I was thinking the same thing about the Oceanic 6. I wonder who the other 2 will be and I wonder how the rest of them die. Maybe Clare, Jin, Locke and some of the others are not really Oceanic 6 folks. Maybe they were previously on the island? Or maybe they have decided to stay?

Does anyone know how many more seasons of Lost there is supposed to be?

Angie

Oh, I definitely think there will be several people (Locke included) who will choose to stay on the island. So there may only be 6 people who get off the island, but that doesn't necessarily mean that only 6 people survive.

I believe Lost is supposed to finish in 2010 - so 2 more seasons, I think.

Oh, and I just thought of something else! At the end, when Ben was fixing Sayid's wound, he said something to the effect of "You're doing this to protect your friends". What does that mean? Is he protecting his friends from the island? Which friends? The ones who have been rescued (why would they need protecting?)? Or the ones who chose to stay behind???? Are Ben and Sayid working to protect the secrecy of the island so that Locke and those who stayed behind can remain there peacefully? hmmmmm....

Oh, I loved it!!! I'm glad that Sayid survived, but what an interesting twist that he was working for Benjamin!! And that Benjamin survives.....

Yes, the 4 of the Oceanic 6 are Jack, Kate, Hurley, & Sayid. I was thinking maybe Claire, but then the baby would count for 1 also and that would be 6 so I don't think it's her.

I wondered about the bracelet & who R.G. is also. And who was the guy that Sayid killed on the golf course? What was his importance? The only reason it seems Sayid is working for Benjamin is to save his friends, but from what? Why did the helicopter come for Benjamin?? He was born on the island so how does he know so much about the outside world?

I know, more questions after you get more info... I'm hopelessly addicted to that show!!

I LOVE THIS FREAKIN' SHOW!!!!

After last night's ending, I'm wondering if Sayid is the "man on the ship" that Ben was referring to. He just wasn't on there yet, but if time is slower on the island, then maybe he really was...(I think I just freaked myself out). :eek:

Here's another question:

What plane and who's bodies was it that they found on the ocean floor? The cockpit of the Oceanic flight landed in the jungle, but the news footage shows a cockpit in the ocean. Is Ben (or someone else) powerful enough that they could create a "fake" crash at the bottom of the ocean?

As for the bearings, I wonder if it has to do with the slower time thing. Maybe there's some sort of space/time schism that we're dealing with.

That's what I thought too. The friends still on the island?? And who is the guy that visited Hurley in the mental institution that said he worked for Oceanic? I know he was part of the mission of the people from the helicopter but why does he want to know if anyone else is alive?

Ooh, I didn't think of that!! Because Sayid & Benjamin were locked up in that room together...

I think the plane in the ocean was a set up, my dh & I were talking about that and how the cockpit landed in the jungle. I'm sure they could create something to make it look like it crashed in the ocean.

Yeah, and the slower time thing was strange...I'm sure there's a good story line coming from that.

Wow....this is a complicated discussion!! :eek: I watch Lost too but don't even try to get my brain around all the possibilities. I like Sayid though. I especially liked the line where the guy asked Jack what Sayid did and he paused and smiled, then said "he was a torturer." JUST LIKE CATHE!!!!

Kim

It's certainly got a "Bermuda Triangle" feeling to it. I was also thinking that the government would definitley have an interest in a island that is "lost". It would be of great military importance to be able to disappear and/or to manipulate time. Maybe Ben is a govenment secret agent trying to figure out how to use the island for military purposes. Hense, the Darma initiative and a submarine. That would also explain his power and leadership on the island. It might also explain the secrecy surrounding Ben and why he is so manipulative. The Oceanic flight would have definitley thrown a wrench into his plans. If he was a govenment agenet he would have easily been able to gather all the information about those on the flight as well. It would explain why he doesn't really want to kill those folks, but wouldn't hesitate if they were about to ruin his plan. Maybe that's why he doesn't want them to find a way off on their own. He doesn't want them to contact anyone who might also want the island for other purposes other than his own. Also, the government wouldn't be very happy with Ben if more people were to learn of the island.

Still, other things don't make a lot of sense with this scenerio. The polar bear, the statue, etc.

This show sure does make you think doesn't it? I can't wait to see how far off base I am. LOL!

Angie

[font color=purple]And who is the guy that visited Hurley in the mental institution that said he worked for Oceanic? I know he was part of the mission of the people from the helicopter but why does he want to know if anyone else is alive?[/font]

Well, maybe he wants to know if anyone else is alive because he's trying to find the island and wants to know what he and his "company" might be up against if he does find it.

[font color=purple]Why did the helicopter come for Benjamin?? He was born on the island so how does he know so much about the outside world?[/font]

Perhaps the island has been used by others (the Dharma Initiative, perhaps?), and is currently being used by Ben for time travel. Seeing that drawer full of passports that Ben had stashed away made it clear that he has left the island many times. Maybe he doesn't just go to different places, but also different times. And maybe there are people out there who know about this interesting little secret of the island, and want to get to Ben because he knows how to "harness the power" of the island for that purporse? I'm probably totally off-base, but I think it's safe to say that Ben knows things. And the things he knows make him extremely valuable.

[font color=purple]After last night's ending, I'm wondering if Sayid is the "man on the ship" that Ben was referring to.[/font]

This would be in line with the time travel theory - Sayid wasn't on the ship yet at that time, but Ben had already traveled ahead in time and saw that Sayid would be on the ship. That's a really deep thought!! Or, what if Ben's spy on the ship is Michael??? Ben let Michael get off the island, but what if he made Michael act as his spy in return for getting off the island?

[font color=purple]What plane and who's bodies was it that they found on the ocean floor? [/font]

I was wondering about that too and I have no ideas. Your guess is as good as mine with that one. It definitely could be a fake crash created by Ben.

[font color=purple]"he was a torturer." JUST LIKE CATHE!!!!/font]

Ain't it the truth??? ;)

[font color=purple]Maybe Ben is a govenment secret agent trying to figure out how to use the island for military purposes. Hense, the Darma initiative and a submarine. That would also explain his power and leadership on the island. It might also explain the secrecy surrounding Ben and why he is so manipulative. [/font]

There's definitely a lot we don't know about Ben. Your theory is quite plausible. Although, like you say, it will take a lot more than a government coverup theory to explain the polar bears, and Jacob and all that crazy stuff.

Did you notice a similar bracelet (as Naomi's) on the blond gal with the pager that Sayid killed...in one of the last scenes, he is touching it, or getting ready to remove it, or something.

Also Sayid asks to take Naomi's body on the helicopter, and gazes at her for more than a moment or two, before covering her face. Like he knew her from before. Or was sad, or something.

SO interesting!

Jen

I was thinking Desmond might be one of the Oceanic 6 because he's now at the helicopter too? What do you think?
Laura

Laura, Desmond can't be one of the Oceanic 6 because he was never on the Oceanic flight - he was on the island long before that plane crashed. He may very well survive, but he can never be considered one of the Oceanic 6.

Jen, I also noticed that Elsa was wearing the same bracelet as Naomi. It makes me wonder if Elsa was working for the same people - the people who are trying to find the island.

I'm thinking there is time travel involved, perhaps a parallel universe being crossed.

I believe the last two oceanic 6's are Jin and Sun. Sun wasn't pregnant until she came to the Island. It seems all the Oceanic 6's are famous or semifamous.

I hated when Charlie died. Perhaps somehow he will come back.

Kate got pregnant when on the island, so in the flash forward when her and Jack was beside the car, I believe she needed to get back to her son.

The person in the coffin could have been Michael? If it was, then why didn't his son Walt come to the funeral? Need to think a little more on that one.

Love this series, all the twists and secrets are mesmerizing.

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

http://www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

I definitely think Michael is the spy on the ship--particularly because he's returning to the show this season and we haven't seen him yet. Would he and Walt count as the other two survivors?? How would they explain returning at different times? Maybe that's proof Michael and Walt are on this ship, and not home safe.

Also, remember when the physicist told the helicopter pilot to stay on the exact course they came in on? I bet it's the same heading the Others told Michael to take on the boat when he sailed away--325. It must be the only way off the island.....

Also, remember Ben wasn't born on the island--he and his father moved there when he was a boy to work for Dharma. Did anyone else think it looked like Ben was dressed in the same clothes from the mysterious picture the freighter people have of him in the last seen of the show last night? Glasses, shirt and vest? Hmmmm.....

That best sums up this show, doesn't it? Hmmmmm.....

Kelly

Interesting.... never thought of Benjamin working for the government and all of the passports that he had made it more interesting....

As always, the more info you get the more questions it brings about!! Can't wait for next week!

Oh, I love this...you all have some great thoughts about what's going on!

My husband and I have always noticed that there's a funky time thing going on with the Island...It would be night in one place, day in another...at first we thought it was just the way they were presenting the storylines, but we finally decided that the Island has time variations (last night's episode gave us some gratification that we were probably/maybe right about this).

My guess is that Sawyer will be one of the Oceanic 6. I just love the Kate/Sawyer match and I can't imagine them splitting up. Also- remember last season (last episode, I think) when Kate went to meet Jack in the 'real world airport'?...she said something about "having to get back to him", like she and Jack both knew the "him" she was referring to.

I think Sayid is protecting his friends on the Island, just as Ben would be protecting the Island itself from the people Sayid is hunting down.

Great discussion...can't wait to read more of your thoughts on Lost!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.