Losing weight/STS/Cardio

LaBonita

Okay, so I need to lose about 30-40 pounds. I want to use STS, and I'm doing the couch to 5k program for cardio. I was thinking I would do couch to 5k on the days I don't do STS (T, Th, Sa), and do STS M, W, F. But I feel like that's still not enough cardio. Couch to 5k is about 30 minutes each session, running and walking.

What do you think? Should I add some additional cardio in there? Any suggestions for cardio? I have Cathe's Cardio Fusion, Step Jump and Pump, and Step Blast. As well as a lot of other step DVDs. Let me know what all of you think!

not necessarily

I think it really depends on what your body responds to. I have learned from this forum that everyone is different -- some folks lose weight with heavy weights and less cardio, while others need more cardio and circuit-style workouts to lose weight.

I too needed to lose weight when I started a 3-month STS rotation. I did 2-3 cardio workouts each week (I had to compress each mesocycle into 3.5 weeks, and I did that by giving up a cardio here and there). By the end of the 3 months, I had dropped 3 sizes (without changing my eating habits too much). And before, I had thought that cardio and lighter weights was the way to go.

So my advice is to try doing STS as is, with the 3 cardio workouts each week, and see how you do. Maybe that will be the magic formula for you. And if by the end of M2 (when most folks really starting seeing results) you aren't happy, then you might consider adding in some more cardio (and possibly skipping M3, which is really designed to increase strength).

Good luck!

Mel

LaBonita,

Your plan is exactly how I started out. Later I added more cardio because, for me, the endorphins give me energy. But, to give me a break from running, and not set myself for over-use injuries I added two days of stationery bike, which I did before STS upper body workouts, and one day of machine rowing on STS leg days. The extra days of cardio I only did 30-40 minutes, but on running days I gradually worked up to doing 45-60minutes.

You could easily add more cardio dvd drills in to your rotations, but I would take it slowly, and listen to your body. The weight will come off, you don't need to over train to do it, that only leads to burn out!

When you advance along couch to 5k, be sure to download some Cardio Coach training mp3's. Using them took my running up several notches.

I didn't have a lot to lose to begin with, but doing STS and running and eating clean, I have lost 10 pounds, and have discovered my love for fitness.
(and an addiction to endorphins.)

Thanks so much for the replies and suggestions ladies! I'll come up with a plan to begin with and just listen to my body and see how my body responds to everything. Thanks again!

I think it really depends on what your body responds to. I have learned from this forum that everyone is different -- some folks lose weight with heavy weights and less cardio, while others need more cardio and circuit-style workouts to lose weight.

I too needed to lose weight when I started a 3-month STS rotation. I did 2-3 cardio workouts each week (I had to compress each mesocycle into 3.5 weeks, and I did that by giving up a cardio here and there). By the end of the 3 months, I had dropped 3 sizes (without changing my eating habits too much). And before, I had thought that cardio and lighter weights was the way to go.

So my advice is to try doing STS as is, with the 3 cardio workouts each week, and see how you do. Maybe that will be the magic formula for you. And if by the end of M2 (when most folks really starting seeing results) you aren't happy, then you might consider adding in some more cardio (and possibly skipping M3, which is really designed to increase strength).

Good luck!

Mel
Mel, how long were your cardio sessions?
LaBonita, I am right there with you! I need to lose about 30 lbs too and am betting on STS. I started last week and today will do disc 4. I hope the magic that goes around will stop at my street too :)
Good luck to you!
Krasy

Mel, how long were your cardio sessions?

They ranged from 30 minutes (treadmill interval runs) to 60-70 (a wide variety of Cathe videos). It felt like way too little (although I loved that because I have more dread factor with cardio), especially since I thought I had done well with circuits and cardio rotations. But then it totally worked.

I am now redoing STS as a 6-month rotation (still compressing it a bit to get through it all faster) but I'm not losing much more weight, at least not at that pace. So now I think it was just the shock factor.

Good luck!

Mel

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.