Lose weight before/after pg??

naughtoj

Cathlete
Ok, just wondering here.....

If I have about ten pounds too much weight on me pre-pg, does it make more sense to try to lose it and get into really good shape before I get pregnant or just say the hell with it and get PG and worry about it after delivery??

Did anyone have the experience of getting PG while they were in really good shape AND getting PG when they were somewhat out of shape? I would like to know the differences in how you felt, how your body took pregnancy, etc... I know pregnancy is hard on your body but is it MUCH easier if you are in good shape?

Hubby and I are thinking about it but I have not worked out in a while and have gained about ten #'s. Any advice would be great!! Thanks everyone!!:D

I was 8 pounds over my normal weight when I got pregnant. I asked my doc how this affected the weight I needed to gain during pregnancy; he said I was a fine weight to begin with so he expected me to gain the typical 25-35 pounds.

You can start working out again while you are TTC. And you can certainly reengage in your workouts once pregnant, just with a modified intensity.

The only thing that has been stressed to me is that you are not looking to make *gains* in cardiovascular or strength fitness.

I say don't wait!

Well, I was 15 pounds heavier starting my second pregnancy compared to my first. I was in pretty good shape though. I could definitely tell a difference in how I felt. I gained the exact same amount of weight both pregnancies. I outgrew my maternity clothes faster the second time and I got stretch marks the second time which I totally had avoided the first (I swear it's because I started out 15 pounds heavier)!

My vote is to forget about the extra lbs now and get yourself a babe! While pg, eat healthy and aim for the lower end of recommendation (25 lbs). Good luck with your decision. :D

**Melanie**
Jadon born 11/23/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

" Take care of your body like it will last a lifetime. Take care of your soul like it will last for eternity"

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.