Lorie (lederr) and anyone else...bosu balls

Hey Lorie (and any other wonderful people out there)...I just acquired a bosu ball and I know that you are really into working out with yours. Do you have DVDs or are you doing Cathe on it...HELP...I don't know where to start. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated!!!!!

TIA

Amy,

Congratulations on your purchase! As I posted elsewhere on the forums, I think it is the most underrated piece of equipment out there.

I now do all my core work on the Bosu. Pushups, too.

While the DVD collection out there is limited, there are some good ones.

One of my favorites is CIA 2604, which has a Sharon Twombly (non-Bosu) workout and a totally kick-butt Seasun Zieger Bosu Blast workout. The abs on this are KILLER!

Another one I love is Bosu Sports Conditioning: Skiing and Snowboarding. Bosu Absolutely Abs is decent, too, but is not as tough as Seasun's core work mentioned above.

I also have Amy's Hi/lo Dome Challenge, but the use of the Bosu on this one is limited. I have only done the dome segment once and can't speak for the rest of the workout.

Other than that, I've used my Bosu for step workouts, including Basic Step and HSC. I would say you can use it for most workouts that use the step, though some modification may be necessary.

Happy Bosu'ing!

[font face="heather" font color=black size=+2]~Cathy[/font]

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/runninteach/exercise/th_skj.gif

http://img17.glitterfy.com/18/glitterfy183635T533D31.gif

Misery has enough company. Dare to be happy. ~ VW ad

I use mine for pushups (especially the around the clock pushups in 4DS because I don't have that much room) and to substitute for the High Step in HSChallenge.

I've also rented a number of bosu workouts from Netflix; they're all just fine and I kind of like having them as an option to change things up every now and then.

Have fun!!

You guys are the best. Cathy thanks for the CIA info, I will definitely check this one out. I have some of Seasun's other DVDs and I really like her. I think I will take the advice of yours and Amy's and start doing all my core work on it. I have P90X and P90X+ and I think it will shake things up with these workouts too! I especially like the pushup idea! I have a hard time liking pushups on the floor and I think w/ the bosu it will be much more enjoyable (if that's possible...LOL)! I should have realized that most of what you can do on the step you can do on the bosu...modifying of course. Can't wait to get home and mess around! :)

I love the Bosu for core work. I also recommend Bosu Blast. I like to use the Bosu in place of the high step for any of Cathe's high step workouts. Also, a workout I liked was Bosu: Long & Lean with Chalene Johnson (http://www.collagevideo.com/in-stock-videos/5217.htm). She does yoga and Pilates moves incorporating the Bosu. It's only a 1/2 hour long but I really had some sore abs (and even arms the next day). Of course, I still just consider myself an intermediate exerciser so maybe it wouldn't be so challenging to others.

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=purple]***Lainie***
My fitness blog: http://fitnessfig.blogspot.com/ http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif

If you want to give God a good laugh, tell Her your plans.[/font]

I do the pushups with the flat side up... never even considered that an easier modification... so watch out!

And kind of pay attention to how inflated your bosu is. Things will be harder/easier depending on the inflation, just like a stability ball.

sorry, i am just now seeing this.

i agree with amyg. also, on the cia vid she makes you do stuff with the bosu side down. ugh1

cathy was my enabler. i got the bosu because of her and some other cheetahs (yes, you all know who you are!!!). beware, they are the WORST enablers.

anyway, i find some of cathe's club step dvds diifficult to do because there is a lot done round the sides of the step and the bosu is smaller so you can't really go from side to side (her high step dvds are easy to do on the bosu). that said, it is easy to make modifications on the bosu. i LOVE the bosu blast dvd which is part of a cia dvd called "double cardio." i have also posted a bosu mish mosh i made up which is basically all the high step dvd cardios only and jari love's ripped 1000 cardio only. it's a great burner.

one thing i have found (since i got my new HRM!) is that i believe i am burning more and working harder on the bosu. i think it has to do with the balance factor and that you are using more leg muscles to keep yourself up there. like cathy said, abs are tough. they seem tougher to me than on the stability ball but i don't know if that's true for everybody.

i posted on the dvd suggestions for cathe to make a bosu dvd. she could easily have people doing it on the high step as well.

i was really conflicted about getting one as i didn't think i would really use it. i probably use it almost every day!

HTH! let us know if you get one. i think target is having a sale right now.

Hi,

I'm another one who loves my Bosu! I've been using my Bosu for a few years now and continue to use it regularly. I love the added balance challenge. It's one of my favorite pieces of equipment. You've received some great ideas and suggestions for workouts. Bosu Blast is a great cardio workout and the core section really works you! Tracey Staehle uses the Bosu in her Sculpt SweatFest Series and the Part Series. Pushups with the flat side up are fantastic and definitely add a new dimension. Also, standing on the Bosu dome side up or when you're ready for the next step, flat side up really adds a lot to your weight workouts.
Enjoy your new toy!:)

A friend in fitness,
Shirl

Thanks again guys! I really appreciate your suggestions! I am looking forward to trying out those pushups! Was going to attempt my bosu last night...I had decided to knock out the abs/core+ from P90X before I got into it...well, that went over REAL well...my chin up bar came off the door frame in the middle of the hanging up and overs...needless to say I came crashing down on my tail bone, and then my head on a hard wood floor. Kind did me in for the workout last night. Slight headache today, but I think I will be ok by this evening. So I was thinking about maybe trying Low Max (?) on the bosu...what do you guys think? I don't have any of the High Step workouts. Although I did order the Double Cardio! Yep y'all are a bunch of enablers :7

Amy,

First let me say I'm glad you're okay after falling last night..Ouch!

You're going to love Double Cardio, they're both tough workouts.

I've used my Bosu for Low Max quite a few times. I'm not sure how much room you have but I use both my step and bosu. I do the combos on the step then the blasts on my bosu. My legs always feel wobbly afterwards.

Enjoy your new bosu :)

Chastity

http://www.picturetrail.com:80/chastgirl0205

What a great idea to use the bosu for LM! LOL, I don't have the leg strength to do that *today* but there's always tomorrow... :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.