Looking for info on Sanibel Island, FL

jcm

Cathlete
Hi All! I'm thinking (maybe just dreaming) of trying to take the kids somewhere for spring break. Sanibel Island is one of the locations I was looking at. Wondering what anyone might know about the island. Good, bad, where to stay, where not to stay ...

Thanks,

Jen

Hi Jen!

I stayed at Sanibel Island in 2007 and really enjoyed it - its a beautiful place. There are some things though that you may want to think about if you're taking your kids.

1. Its a quiet island - not many places for shopping or exciting kids' activities.
2. If you want to do some major shopping (like malls/outlet centers), you have to go off the island, and there is a toll booth on the bridge to the island, so every time you want to leave the island and return, you have to pay a toll.
3. There is a huge nature reserve there, if you think your kids would enjoy that.

I really liked being there - it was quiet, peaceful and very low-key.

I hope wherever you choose to go you'll have a great time!

Hi Jen:

I live on the west coast of Florida, not too far north of Sanibel. It is a beautiful place, but as Melanie said, very quiet and low key.

A really great choice just north of Sanibel is Siesta Key. Siesta Key beach was named the number one beach in the country! It is spectacular, sugary white sand, clear blue green water, sand dunes and tons of fish and birds. The village of Siesta Key is really fun too, restaurants, shops, bike and motor scooter rentals, paddle boarding and kayaking, fishing, etc.

I don't know how old your kids are but no matter what their age I am sure they would love Siesta Key. I am going there tomorrow :cool:

Hope this helps,
Debbie Russo

I have to agree with previous posters. My husband and I went to Captiva Island last year, it's just the next small island over from Sanibel. If you're looking for a place to sit on the beach and read and maybe collect some shells, then Sanibel and Captiva are your place...nice, quiet and serene. However, depending on the ages of your kids, they might get bored pretty quick. There isnt much kid-friendly "touristy" types of things to do there on Sanibel in my opinion. We went to one of the nature preserve there and unless you like bird watching, it wasnt anything spectacular. I have never been to Siesta Key but I have friends with older kids who have gone their and loved it.

Hi there I live in SWF (lee county). Sanibel is in lee county. It's a beautiful chill place. Many families vacation there with their children. But if u want to go to mall or fort Myers beach which is more touristy with restaurants bars shop etc there is a $6 toll one way ( can't remember if u pay going in or leaving the island. In fortmyers there is the imaginatrium, Edison Ford winter estates, Shell Factory and nature park in North Fort Myers. THere is a beautiful mall in Estero called Coconut Point. There is also Miramar outlet mall. There is also beautiful Boca Grande about one plus drive but beautiful beach and quaint area. There is Naples in the next county. There is great shopping there and Naples zoo. I've not been to the zoo.

when are u coming? There is Red Sox and Twins spring training in March. Check out Beaches of fort Myers and Sanible for more information about the area. good luck.

Carmen

Last edited:
Sanibel is AWESOME!

I don't post often but I do have to put my two cents in on this one. I live in West Palm Beach,FL. And have been spending 7 days in Sanibel for the past 12 Years. I have 2 children Now 16 and 13. We stay at the Sanibel Moorings. We have stayed there for the past 10 years. One year we stayed in Captiva it is to Quiet but there are reasons to visit(crab races, Mucky duck,dolphin cruises,etc.) I can give you more info if you like. My kid's LOVE the island yes it's slow but the wildlife alone make's it worth it. Every day go to the second sand bar it's not deep and your kids will find millions of sand dollars they can pick up and explore collect but please return to water if alive. Every evening when the tide goes out the real fun starts if your at the "Mooring's" walk a short walk toward the Lighthouse and the water pools and your kid's will see some of the most Aweso creatures ever they can touch and hold so bring your camera, plus this is the best time to get shells, I have such a collection of Conch,welk and etc. I can't say enough about this Island. It is expensive to eat out so we are selective we usually order Pizza or go to Pinochio's for ice cream. Every year I say we should go some where new and my fammily veto's me I have to be sure to book my condo early usually Jan. for the one I want we go in July every summer.

Sanibel Island tends to be quiet but it can be a lot of fun for kids. Shelling and bicycling are two activities to maintain their interest. There's an extensive system of off-road bicycle paths on Sanibel Island and in the J.N. "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge (J.N. Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge). There's more wildlife there than just birds (which are spectacular). I've seen small alligators there. Because the island is nearly flat, biking is easy. You can ride for miles. I've stayed at the West Wind Inn (Sanibel Island Resort. Florida Beachfront Hotel/Motel on the Gulf of Mexico - West Wind Inn) many times. It's on the beach and has a pool. Check out the reviews on Trip Advisor.

Wow - I really appreciate all of your input! A lot of good information I'll look up today. My kids are 11, 8 and 3. Any place super busy isn't our speed - Disney sounds like a nightmare! We rent a cottage in the summer and spend days at the beach, climbing sand dunes, kayaking ... My daughter and I will spend one day hitting some small local shops but that's it. I'll have to look up some of the other islands that were suggested also. We've never been anywhere for spring break - or anywhere more than 5 hours away. The kids are getting older and I'm feeling we better do some things before they are too big. Time is going by so quickly! A cottage/codo or hotel w/ kitchen is ideal for our family. It gets way too expensive to eat out for a family of 5!!

Jen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.