Looking for a scale with body fat measurement

I have a Tanita. There a several models to choose from.

I know it keeps me on track!:)

I bought mine at Beds,Bath and Beyond with a 20% coupon.

I have a tanita scale as well. It measure body fat and water percentage. I've been using it for about 5 years now and love it!

I just bought a Healthometer at Kohl's. No idea if it's accurate - especially the body fat. I kind of shudder if it is.

I just got mine at Kohls with a 30 percent off coupon. I'm 5'7" and weigh 142lbs after having twins three months ago.......it shows that I have 30% body fat. :eek::eek:

I don't trust the body fat measurement on my Healthometer scale. It fluctuates 10% one way or the other from one day to the next! It freaks me out! Not because I think my body fat is that high, but because of the jump!

My weight will fluctuate maybe .5 lbs. and the body fat will go from 36.5 to 26!!! I'm waiting for the end of next week (my last week of Meso 2) to have my DH measure my BF with my skinfold calipers. I've been training him to use them. I know that measurement will be off as well, but certainly not as badly as the scale!

Anyway, I only use my scale to keep myself honest and keep me from starting to gain weight again!

Don't hold too much stock in the BF measurement on your scale. If BF reduction is your goal, get an accurate measurement from a facility that does that type of thing for a living, not at a gym.

I was just reading about scales last night and read some interesting tips to get a more accurate reading from your scale. I'm going to try today and see what results I get. This morning when I weighed myself, it said 30% which I'm very sure is high.

- Always measure your body fat at the same ime of day, preferably at least two hours after eating.
- Make sure you are well hydrated
- Use the bathroom before you step on the scale
- Moisten a towel and step on it with bare feet before stepping on the scale
- Make sure the scale is on a hard/flat surface.
- If you have good reason to believe your BF % is already low (e.g. you have visible abdominal muscles), purchase a scale with 'athlete' mode. Scales without this feature are less accurate for lean individuals.

This is from Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald.

#1 - check
#2 - hmmm, not so much
#3 - check
#4 - new info!
#5 - check

I'll try this too! Only need to drink a glass of water before weighing and dampen a towel. Everything else I already do! Let me know how your results turn out!

I was just reading about scales last night and read some interesting tips to get a more accurate reading from your scale. I'm going to try today and see what results I get. This morning when I weighed myself, it said 30% which I'm very sure is high.

- Always measure your body fat at the same ime of day, preferably at least two hours after eating.
- Make sure you are well hydrated
- Use the bathroom before you step on the scale
- Moisten a towel and step on it with bare feet before stepping on the scale
- Make sure the scale is on a hard/flat surface.
- If you have good reason to believe your BF % is already low (e.g. you have visible abdominal muscles), purchase a scale with 'athlete' mode. Scales without this feature are less accurate for lean individuals.

This is from Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald.

A person's body fat percentage is the total weight of the person's fat divided by the person's weight and consists of essential body fat and storage body fat. Essential body fat is necessary to maintain life and reproductive functions. The percentage for women is greater than that for men, due to the demands of childbearing and other hormonal functions. Essential fat is 3–5% in men, and 8–12% in women[1]. Storage body fat consists of fat accumulation in adipose tissue, part of which protects internal organs in the chest and abdomen. The minimum recommended total body fat percentage exceeds the essential fat percentage value reported above. A number of online tools are available for calculating estimated body fat percentage.
Some regard the body fat percentage as the better measure of an individual's fitness level, as it is the only body measurement which directly calculates the particular individual's body composition without regard to the individual's height or weight. The widely-used body mass index (BMI), on the other hand, simply makes blanket assumptions as to what every individual of a certain height should ideally weigh, regardless of the body composition which makes up that weight. The BMI gives particularly inaccurate information with regard to individuals with above-average lean muscle mass, classifying such individuals as "overweight" or "obese" despite the fact that their body fat percentage would indicate they are in excellent physical condition.

I have an expensive Tanita scale that does a beautiful job of weighing me accurately. As for measuring body fat, though . . . not so much. It does do a good job of telling me whether I'm hydrated or not, but that's about it. The supposed "body fat" measurement appears to fluctuate only with the amount of fluid I'm retaining.

Shari

Scales are the spawn of satan. I hate them.

AMEN SISTER! Scales will most of the times, make or break my mood depending on what it says!:mad: Tah! I usually only weight once everyone week or so...OR just not do anything and see how my clothes fit!;)

No need to be in a pissy mood for the rest of the day for a couple of dumb numbers!!!:eek::eek:

WHEW!!! Excuse me for a second, I need to find my heart and put it back in my chest.(LOL). Wow! If you are looking for an intense cardio workout then you have found it with this one. Cathe named this workout series correctly. "Shock Cardio" is right. As far as the workout goes, there is not much more to add to the description that Collage gives. There are 5 rounds. In each round you will do 3 short cardio moves, then you will repeat them. http://www.passforsure.ca/Cisco/640-460.html After that you will do an intense core move. And I do mean intense. There are a lot of rollups in this and plank moves, so keep that in mind. The cardio moves are mainly jumping-air jacks, jump squats,t-jumps, etc. I too had to pause the dvd for a second to catch my breath. Here I was thinking I was little miss fit woman. Leave it to Cathe to put me in my place.
http://www.passforsure.ca/Cisco/642-533.htmlGod bless her! This was exactly what I needed to "shock" my body. Thank you Cathe!!!

I know I should ignore this, but just can't help myself, so "William" btw that is an interesting name for a "little miss fit woman". What does this have to do with this thread? What's with all the links in your post? Does this actually work anywhere? Really??

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.