Looking for a good book-Yes another book thread!

jharris

Cathlete
I just finished Jackie Collins Poor Little Bitch Girl. Now I'm looking for something new to put on my IKindle.

So far I am thinking of:

Lisa Scottoline-Look Again
Karen Robards-Shattered
Harlan Coban-Caught
or The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Any suggestions?

What are you guys reading now?

The last book I read was "The Shack". My friend gave it to me after another friend passed away. It ia about a man and his relationship with God after his daughter was killed. It was a good book. Not sure if your looking for something like that right now but worth the read.

Winter

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is excellent. There was a whole thread earlier with avid readers of this one and its sequel, The Girl Who Played with Fire.

I just finished Katrina Kittle's The Kindness of Strangers. I had a hard time putting it down and read it over a few days.

Have fun!

I just finished Jackie Collins Poor Little Bitch Girl. Now I'm looking for something new to put on my IKindle.

So far I am thinking of:

Lisa Scottoline-Look Again
Karen Robards-Shattered
Harlan Coban-Caught
or The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Any suggestions?

What are you guys reading now?

I am familiar with the work of all four authors on your list.

The earlier Lisa Scottoline books are better than this last one, which I didn't even bother to finish. Look for her books featuring the law firm of Bennie Rosato and her different colleagues, all of whom have their own books, their own cases to solve and their own distinct personalities. I particularly love all the books featuring Mary DiNunzio, she and her parents are such sweethearts!

Robards doesn't do much for me so I won't comment.

Harlan Coben is a very funny writer and I love all but the last one in his Myron Bolitar series. I have not yet read this latest one, Caught, but the one before this was a complete let down, so if you are new to Coben, I say start with the first in the Myron Bolitar series and work your way forwards. These books are good reads and very funny.

As for Girl with the Dragon Tatoo....what do you mean you haven't read it yet?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Sit down right now with a great cup of coffee, crack that book open and tell me if you are not hooked within half an hour of reading or we'll give you your money back! Girl, what are you waiting for?!!!!!

Enjoy!

Clare

Sorry, forgot to mention what I am reading at the moment.

I am re-reading the Michael Robotham thriller/mystery books which are just plain excellent and gripping stuff. Lost, Suspect and The Night Ferry. Can't remember the title of the fourth one, even though it's on hold at the library for me!

Recently finished the latest Deborah Crombie, Necesssary as Blood, set in the East End of London and I learned things I had not even known about the current racial realities and politics in my home city. I am always astonished that Crombie, a Texan, can write so eloquently and accurately about London that she makes me feel homesick even while I read about Kincaid and James solving difficult cases, for which they have to delve through cultural and social history of the past to be able to understand what is at stake in the present. If you start with the latest Crombie book, you will be somewhat at sea as far as the personal lives of her two detectives are concerned so I do recommend starting at their beginning and enjoying watching their lives change, grow and become very compelling, even if they are fictional characters! Kissed a Sad Goodbye is an early title in the series but I think the very first is Dreaming of the Bones, which is set in Cambridge, where I went to college and so it holds a particularly special appeal for me. It's a fabulous novel.

I am also reading The Liars' Club by Mary Karr, a memoir about growing up in a dysfunctional family, aren't they all?, in Texas. Her latest is Lit, and I am off to that one next. She's a very good writer, although at the moment, I am wondering, as I always do, what the motivation is for me to read about other, ordinary people's lives? The best memoir I ever read was "Making Toast" about a lit professor coming to grips with the sudden death of his beloved daughter and moving in with his wife to the daughter's home to help the son-in-law raise the three grand-kids and help them all to heal. Very moving stuff, often hilarious, well observed ruminations of family life and also so touching as the author and his wife realize that what has happened with the daughter's death is that the grandmother has taken over her role as mother to the three kids, and that wasn't ever supposed to happen.

Hope some of these titles work for you!

Clare

I also loved the help. I am reading "big girl" by Danielle Steele and I love it! A very quick and easy read.

A lady in the bookstore had mentioned A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick. It was on the best sellers list, so I guess it's good. haven't read it yet.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.