Looking for a Deep Stretch video (Similar to Lastics)

Gobias

Cathlete
Hi All,

I am looking for a deep stretch video, as opposed to a more relaxing stretch video. I really like Lastics & Advanced Lastics - therefore something similar to those would be great.

In those videos, the best way I can describe what I am looking for is you move one muscle one way to stretch another muscle the other way. You push outward to pull another muscle inward; you bend forward to elongate another muscle. You move from the inside, rather than relying on external pulling.

Ideally it would also "open" my neck and back. I do a ton of computer work or hunched over work, therefore something that reverses my hunching would be great (upward dog, cow, rotating the neck, etc)

Can be pilates/yoga, but am more looking for specifically deeply stretching the muscles.

Thank You!

Look on Youtube for Do Yoga With Me. They have some really good deep stretching routines. Even though they are listed as yoga, I consider them more of an extended stretch type workout. There is one for neck and shoulders that is wonderful.

One that I positively love is Travis Eliot's Yin Yoga. I discovered it on you tube but ended up buying the Ultimate Yogi set just so I could have it. It is great and sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for. It is long coming in at 1 hour because he holds the poses for 3-5 minutes which I love. Sometimes though when I'm short on time, I'll cut it off after a pose. Once you do it enough you get a good feel for when you can stop comfortable.

I gravitate towards the Essentrics videos myself. I like the one's with the daughter Sarah as opposed to the mother who does the Classical Stretch ones. They have some free videos on the site to see what they're like.

Look on Youtube for Do Yoga With Me. They have some really good deep stretching routines. Even though they are listed as yoga, I consider them more of an extended stretch type workout. There is one for neck and shoulders that is wonderful.
These are excellent! :) Been doing em for years. For very deep into the fascia & meridian stretching, I like Dahn and Yin Yoga. I rather practice by book though as the videos do not hold the postures long enough for me.
Jill Miller has a good stretching dvd (called Post Athletic Stretch routines), Mark Laham's Yin Yoga is great, I like Pavel Tsatsouline's method of stretch although his books are better than the DVDs, OPTP has a good DVD that also contains a special strap.

I've heard great things about Karen Voight's Stretch & Core Conditioning. Has anyone tried that one out? There's also TangoFlex which I've been eyeing for awhile. Looks like intense stretching. Anybody try that one out yet? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX2WatJ6qVfg9HNUoqKxZkQ/videos

Last edited:
Thanks all for the suggestions - I will look these up hopefully today. I do have a few questions:

ELSIE: what is Dahn and Yin Yoga? Is that the name of the instructor? I am interested in the very deep fascia/meridian stretching, but can't find anyone named "Dahn".

DBCLARK: I don't mind an hour long stretch - in fact Lastics, which is my main deep stretch videos, both come in over an hour and I prefer holding a stretch for long periods! I did a quick search on Travis Eliot and the few I saw, the moves were "forward" movement of the upper torso (lean forward, sit forward, lay forward). Do you know of a video of his that has some focus on "backward" movement? I want to lean back, stretch back/upward, etc.

OPTP Yoga? Is that the brand? I can't find anything but a brand for equipment.

Thanks for the other suggestions also - I found those and will watch clips. I really want a full body deep stretch that holds poses for awhile (not where you are constantly flowing/moving throughout the workout) and hopefully more "upward/backward" movement versus bending forward, leaning forward, lying forward, etc.

DBCLARK: I don't mind an hour long stretch - in fact Lastics, which is my main deep stretch videos, both come in over an hour and I prefer holding a stretch for long periods! I did a quick search on Travis Eliot and the few I saw, the moves were "forward" movement of the upper torso (lean forward, sit forward, lay forward). Do you know of a video of his that has some focus on "backward" movement? I want to lean back, stretch back/upward, etc.

I really want a full body deep stretch that holds poses for awhile (not where you are constantly flowing/moving throughout the workout) and hopefully more "upward/backward" movement versus bending forward, leaning forward, lying forward, etc.

In case you happen to have Amazon Prime...Or want to pay for it $2.50. I tried this yoga workout a little over a year ago and remember clearly it having more back bending. Can't remember if it had lots of flowing movements though, but I felt it really opened up the front of my body. I should revisit this one again soon. I need it :) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._web_wtls_list_pr_12_ba?ie=UTF8&redirect=true
It's the last one at the bottom of the page.

Last edited:
ELSIE: what is Dahn and Yin Yoga? Is that the name of the instructor? I am interested in the very deep fascia/meridian stretching, but can't find anyone named "Dahn".
Dahn Yoga is a Korean form of Yoga that I learned about from my Korean acupuncturist. It is related to Tai Chi and therefore follows the flow of meridian lines as does (yang) Tai Chi and acupuncture.
Yin Yoga is also traditionally a meridian type of yoga although practiced in a more North American Hatha sense. As I mentioned Mark Laham is good (has a youtube channel and a set of dvds), although I do practuce mostly from book or written descriptions. Sarah Power's Insight Yoga is an excellent tool for this. Paulie Zink (the founder of this practice) and Paul Grilley have good resources online as well. I first came across Yin Yoga from Paulie Zink online but found his quick approach too advanced for me.
I love both if these types of yoga mostly because I am a student of Traditional Chinese Medicine. The pain (physical and emotional) release aspect of it came to me without intent. I do feel that in order to get the full benefit, it needs to be both studied and practiced physically although that is just my opinion. In any sense, it can offer you a deep and satisfying stretch! Great for the hips.
Sorry for blabbering on .....I am just passionate about I suppose! ;)

Thanks all for the recommendations - I am continuing to research and even rented a few from the library. I need to set up my computer (YouTube) in my workout room, but that will just result in me answering every Skype and email that comes through for work.

Elsie - thanks for the thorough description. I really know nothing about Yoga or its terminology, so it was quite helpful.

More recommendations are appreciated - I am looking for some "painful PT!"

I have a lot of neck and shoulder issues and hovering over a computer can make it quite painful. I like Sarah Beth Yoga on You Tube.
If the link works this one is 20 minute deep stretch for neck and shoulders. She has some others. One is for neck and shoulder tension. I also like Yoga with Kassandra on you tube. She has a lot of Yin yoga and a really great back, neck and shoulder workout.

I like Karen Voight's Stretch & Core Conditioning, Full Body Stretch and Slim Physique (great for my hip). If you search youtube you will find tons of free great stretches :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.