Long hair over 40?

I know many women over 40 with long beautiful hair. And, I know many women under 30 with long straggly hair that makes them look disheveled and draggy. The point is, it really depends on your hair. I love long hair, but I know that when my hair gets too long it starts to split and get tangles and just doesn't work. My hair is best about two inches below my shoulders, and although I would like longer hair I have to accept I can't have it. I can't believe a hair dresser would say such a thing!
Heather

I am WAY over 40, and for a long time have felt that older women look better with shorter hair. When you see the "make-over" shows like Oprah and others have, generally they will shorten the hair of older women.

Of course, it's a matter of personal preference, and everyone is different, but as a rule, I think older women look better with shorter hair.
Just Do It! :)

Bunbun, I agree with others on here who say wear your hair the way YOU like it. Your age has nothing to do with it.

Carol
:)

I am 43 ,44 in a few days . I have always had LONG hair . I will always have long hair too !!! I'm naturally very blond ... I wanted a change so I dyed it the other day ..I now have my very blond ,and reddish color and a brownish color in it .Its so cool .And talk about looking younger !!!! I do LOL.My teenagers cant believe it !!! It can be long just trim it so its healthy!!! Good luck !!

Ummm excuse me but is 40 ish really an "Older woman" Come on !!!! LOL I do not feel older !!!!! PS watch out 20-30 crowd LOL LOL

Mary, that color sounds like a lot of fun.
Honeybunch: Yup, I've noticed that, too. Most of the time I think their hair looks better shorter, too, but I also think that there has to be some way to shape and cut longer hair so that it looks good. By longer, I mean about shoulder length--that's long for me!

Mine is the also the shortest its been in years ..Only to my bra strap !!! I just trimmed off 10 inches and donated to cancer hair place

Hi,
Just wanted to let you know my mom and aunt have LOOOONG hair, right down to their butts. Mom is 53 and aunt is 58. They look so beautiful with long hair. I cannot imagine them with short hair. I've seen some older women with gorgeous long hair. I agree, it depends on your perspective on your hair. Also, I think it depends on facial structure, too. Some women with certain facial structure just do not look good in long hair. Some women do not look good in short hair. I personally prefer long hair. My hair is about 6 inches above my butt. Some women age gracefully, some don't. All in all, screw the stylist and do what you feel is right for you. Not all stylist know anything. Everytime I go to a stylist, they all want to hack my hair off because it's the trend. I'm only 27. I don't trust them and never will although there's one who I sort of trust and it's a guy. I don't trust women stylist AT ALL. They NEVER listen. No offense to hair stylists on the forum. If the hair is healthy, keep it. Tell them to bite your ass if they don't listen to you. :)

Lisa

Hrm...you have a point there. But I'm 46 and consider myself middle aged at this point. I don't really look it or act like it in a lot of ways--heck, I'm in better shape than when I was 20. But I have a different perspective on life than when I was 20 or in my 30s and, for instance, I'm not interested in going clubbing with all the 20- and 30-somethings in my office after work. That could have to do more with going to bed by 10:30 and getting up early to workout, though!

Anyhow, I've sidetracked my own thread... lol.

BB, the way I see it, if you're not enjoying your hair, you're not seeing the right stylist. It's just that simple. A good stylist will take into consideration all of the factors that you mentioned, including how your hair reacts to changes in weather and your lifestyle.

I would recommend growing your hair in; say, to shoulder length. Get some recommendations, then turn yourself over to a new stylist, and let him/her do the work. A great stylist will give you a hairstyle that works with your facial features and your hair type every day of the week, every season of the year.

-Nancy

I'm 37 & am in the process of growing my hair long (right now it's maybe 4-5 inches past my shoulders, but I want it halfway down my back). I don't give a crap if people say it makes me look older (which I don't think it does), or if it's unprofessional (so I wear it back to mtgs & such), or if it's inappropriate. IMO it gives me a softer, more feminine look. I had it really short once & I looked hideous.

I had my hair cut into a short spikey hairdo about 4 years ago. I I also had it colored and foiled with highlights. I believe it took ten years off my face. My hairstylist calles it my signature look.

Also,living in Florida with the heat and humidity, long hair is very hard to manage. I love long hair...just not on me.

>Good point, lisaannjam. Longer hair can go much longer
>between trims, too...

Which is maybe another reason hairstylist encourage women to cut their hair (and choose a style that needs more maintenance?)

Boy I just had to reply to this thread!! I too am part of the way over 40 crowd and my hair is long, to my arse. I love having long hair because every other female has short hair. I was also doubly blessed with very, very thick hair so I always get comments from strangers, men and women, about how pretty my hair is. I would be a fool to cut it. I had really short hair when I was in high school and it was a mistake, I hated it immediately. Grew it back out long and it has been long ever since. I do get my hair trimmed every 3-4 months because my hair still grows quite quickly and it would be down to my knees easily if I left it to it's own devices.

Someone mentioned how on the makeovers the hairstylists ALWAYS cut everyone's hair shorter. Think about it...how much income do they make on someone with long hair who comes in for a trim 4 times a year as opposed to those of you who go in every 6 weeks for a restyle and maybe a perm to boot? Your hairdresser is in that business to make money. They are going to promote what makes them more money.

I have had grey hair for many years and for the longest time my (then) stylist encouraged me to dye it. I did keep it dyed for a long while, but when I switched to another salon I let it go back to grey. My current stylist has encouraged me to keep the grey. I have to say I get more compliments on my grey hair than my dyed hair ever did. So I bucked the trend too and have been very happy with my choice. If you feel you look the best with long hair, I say go for it. If you end up not liking it, you always have the option to cut it short again.

Having your hair styled is VERY important - too many women with very long hair never have it styled, the persist on the same look they had in high school.

Personally, I try to get new glasses and make an attempt to look current, even tho' I may have loved the Linda Evans broad-shoulder look of the 80's!
Just Do It! :)

TK, your hair looks beautiful, I wouldn't dye it either. You look awesome in your avitar pic by the way ! I've been fighting grey, mostly with highlights rather than actually dying it. Grey is so hard for us to accept, but yours looks great! I can only hope I do as well.

< Your
>hairdresser is in that business to make money. They are going
>to promote what makes them more money.

I am very fortunate I guess. I've never had a hairdresser that suggested anything other than what would look good on me. I mean, think about it, how is a hairdresser going to make money if they do something to your hair that doesn't look good? You certainly won't be coming back to them. Promoting short hair won't make them a dime if it doesn't look good on someone! JMHO! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.