Login-User Name-Password Overload!

BeethovenRocks

Cathlete
Hi there!

Can anyone please tell me on average how many different user names and passwords the average person has to invent in her lifetime and whether she will ever remember them all? I figure for security reasons having a variety in log in details for different online activities is best. But now it seems I've created a rod for my own back since I've had to start keeping a written ledger of various password/log in in details - I'm finding it increasingly difficult to keep 'em all in my head. If that were to ever fall into the hands of a ne'er-do-well, my privacy would be shot to kingdom come!

Of course Twitter, FB, private email accounts are easier to remember...along with my Cathe log in ;). But then there are, work emails, university and/or school intranet log ins, online banking log ins, library log ins, proof-of-membership passwords to websites belonging to professional bodies. To obtain online services, businesses require you to 'register and create a user-name and password': phone service providers, bookstores, educational/professional resources sites. There are even a couple of online international newspapers I read which require me to register before being able to even comment on or make a query about an article.

Of course, I realize maintaining online security is worthwhile. Anyone have an efficient way of remembering and/or organizing various log ins/passwords for such sites and services?

I don't have an efficient and secure way to remember/store all my usernames and passwords. For the most part, I keep the same username and password for all sites unless the site won't allow it because the username is already used or the password isn't enough characters. :mad:

I do keep a ledger showing sites, usernames, and passwords. It is printed out and in my wallet. Not exactly safe, but I guess if I lost my wallet, I'm screwed anyway since my credit cards and driver's license is in there.

I've often thought the solution to this problem would be to have a finger scanner on all computers and the site reads the fingerprint scan to log you in. Of course, then my fear is losing my fingers to thiefs :confused:

I hear ya! I keep that info in a word document on my computer. The doc is named something that a theif would not think to check, so chances are if my computer was ever stolen they wouldn't bother to read all my computer docs. It's also convenient to have that info right at my fingertips in the computer so I don't have to go anywhere to retrieve my passwords. I also use clues to zero me on on the password I used instead of the actual password in my document. For example, I would use Yahoo - 1(doggie)$. This tells me my password is 1Maggie$ for my Yahoo account. It's really not....but you get the jist.

I dunno - maybe I'm overthinking it.....but it works for me.:)

No good answer for you, but just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain!! That all drives me crazy too :eek:
Paula

I hear ya! I keep that info in a word document on my computer. The doc is named something that a theif would not think to check, so chances are if my computer was ever stolen they wouldn't bother to read all my computer docs. It's also convenient to have that info right at my fingertips in the computer so I don't have to go anywhere to retrieve my passwords. I also use clues to zero me on on the password I used instead of the actual password in my document. For example, I would use Yahoo - 1(doggie)$. This tells me my password is 1Maggie$ for my Yahoo account. It's really not....but you get the jist.

I dunno - maybe I'm overthinking it.....but it works for me.:)

I guess I should change my word document title then. It's titled Passwords. Oops. :confused:

I keep a "little black book" with three column titles: what/website, username and password. I have so many, I couldn't possibly remember them all. And then I have have user names and passwords at work, and they expire every so often and you can't reuse one that you had before!
This year I started paying bills online and going to paperless bills. One day I was thinking, if something happened to me, or if I was incapacitated for awhile, the bills wouldn't get paid and how would anyone know? So I wrote my main computer log in password somewhere and told my kids where it was and where to access all my financial information on the computer if that happened. It's mind boggling!!

I sure appreciate the feedback, plus knowing I'm not alone in this :) I suppose for now it's best to have a manual secure record of lists of sites and respective log in details until someone in future invents some type of techhy alternative and makes a tidy sum for themselves marketing it.

You know, that is actually a boss idea! I can realistically picture it being implemented at some point in future.

In the meantime, we'd all do well to be wary of those pesky finger thieves :p

I've often thought the solution to this problem would be to have a finger scanner on all computers and the site reads the fingerprint scan to log you in. Of course, then my fear is losing my fingers to thieves :confused:

I hear you, Shelby!! I also have an archaeic form of "storing" my passwords - on a note-pad in one place on my desk so I can keep track of the zillions of web-sites both work and personal. It drives me crazy because for work I have various iterations of a similar password and I kept ending up resetting them... I finally HAD to write them down to save my sanity!! Most of those sights are okay if some nepharious 8 year old were to go into them but the any money related sites I keep in my head .... okay, I have a secret spot for those.

A funny story was when I had come down one morning - DS had been "playing" on the computer the night before. I thought nothing of it until the Amazon shopping cart was up with $270.00 worth of items in it!! :eek::eek: Thank God he didn't hit "place order"!!! I changed THAT password right then and there!! :eek:

Pam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.