Little tweetie bird survives for another day...

Davidj

Cathlete
I have an interesting experience this Saturday afternoon. After coming home from grocery shopping, I noticed a small bird sitting on my large backyard deck, near my two tube feeders. Since he didn't fly away, he was either injured or near death. He was a "chipping sparrow":
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Chipping_Sparrow/id

There are no predatory cats or dogs near my house, so I put some bird food and water out directly in front of him, and let him be. He just sat there panting and breathing heavily, but for about an hour he did not move at all. I went in to watch ""Ghost Hunters International" on the Space channel. At the first commecial break I went out to check, and he was gone! :) :) :) And later, he was feeding at the bird feeder, and seemed to eat a lot. All that was left where he was sitting earlier was a lot of white bird poo.

A naturalist friend by coincidence phoned me later, and she said he may have flown into my kitchen window, and was stunned.
-- David

Yeah! Happy to hear a happy ending!
I've put feeders out for the 1st time and I'm having a blast watching the little feathered guys. I have lots of sparrows, a trio of tufted titmouse(s)/(mice?) and a pair of cardinals plus lots more I am trying to identify!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.