Lifting like girls

Justine, week 4 Meso 2 I'm just trying to survive. Often is 1/mental failure or 1/hands falling off. Failure = Anything shy of perfect form so be a stickler and cut yourself a break (if one can use that term for a 2 hour torture session).
Lib, I always gained when I quit. Keep your hands off the cigs and on the dumbells and you'll be golden. ;)

Another M2 W4 leg workout done today. I think I have PTSD (physique template stress disorder). Two more workouts before deload. If I see another dumbbell, I'm gonna cry.

Below are WORKING sets (i.e., I don't include warmup sets):
Sumo deads 6 long sets 235#
Low bar good mornings 6 long sets 95-135#
High bar squats 6 long sets 155-135#
Walking lunges 5 long sets 2 x 50#
Calves 7 long sets

Took me over two hours, but I was stalling like crazy.

Last edited:
Got through all out low impact hiit mad core 1 today. Wow. Surprised I could move. I wasn't low or deep or very hiit, but did what I could for the doms from yesterday.

That's what I get for telling Cathe to bring it!

End of week one. Bought a ton of veggies yesterday day and some fruit. Now that I have time to focus on my nutrition and workouts, I'm going to nail it! :)

Got leg day in...ugly and pathetic, but in! I did bench squats, only going to 205x5, and finishing at 185x8. Compared to Roz's leg day it was a walk in the park, but seemed to be all I had today! I just didn't have the ambition to go any heavier. Usually Wed is leg day, but the last 2 weeks I have postponed to Sat, and I would like to get back to Wed so I can use Sat as a core day. I was hoping if I abbreviated it a little, I would be ok to go again Wed. Next , after bench squats, I did 2x8 dumbbell reverse lunges with 50# dumbbells, straight leg deads, 2x8 at 205#, barbell calf raises 2x25 at 185, 1x25 single calf raises with no weight and 1x12 1 leg hip thrusts. SOME DAYS YA DOES, SOME DAYS YA DOESNT!!! I am thinking about a deload week, I feel a little spent and haven't had one in a long time...but I know me, and if I feel better Monday I am probably gonna try to hit it hard....we will see. Justine, I haven't been able to do dips for years due to lousy shoulder mobility...kills me and I have to quit. I also can't do an overhead squat for the same reason..can't really even do those without weight! I know what you mean about feeling it mostly in the shoulders! Lib, way to fight thru soreness, Roz, props for getting that w/o done...pretty much MONSTER! Karen, Lisa, hope things are great for you two!!!

Roz, that's a killer workout. The sumo squats weight is very impressive (I was only using 70 kg for mine- embarassed). My 10rm seems to fall in the 70-75% 1rm range. My workouts were all very short this first week, but I can tell I'll be feeling it soon. I'm glad I've just about finished my cut, because I have zero energy.
I've been thinking that the physique templates have an almost bio-feedback feel to them, but more like a delayed reaction feedback. If I run them through again, I may use bio-feedback to determine set numbers.

Tom, I hear you on the overhead squats. I can't do them with a broom handle! Oly lifting will not be something I'll be dabbling in.
I think a deload sounds a good idea for you. I reckon the minute you lose enthusiasm, is the time to deload. You'd be able to get your leg day back on schedule as well.

Yesterday I did front squat, stiff leg deadlift, EZ bar tricep extensions, incline DB curl and calves. Nice mix of body parts to finish off my lifting week.

Lib, well done on the aolih - it's a good workout, but I can't imagine liking it with doms!

Hi Karen and Lisa. Hope you're both well x

Those were sumo deads at 235, not squats! :eek:
I have front squats and stiff-legged DLs on day 6 this meso. That's tomorrow. Today was upper body, easy compared to legs, but a zillion (= 39 including abs) sets.
Haven't yet decided if/how to continue with Meso 3 re: days of the week. I just don't have that much time this month to lift...
Hi's and high fives all around!

Was able to get in a core day today. Rode the bike 2 miles, then did 3 100 rep challenges, crunches, seated knee ins, and cable crunches. I added 3 sets of side planks x 90 sec x60 sec and x 45 sec. Tomorrow will decide if deload or not. Sometimes it seems if you don't lift hard it is a day you can never get back! I do know however, that rest is important and I SHOULD deload....we will see whether gray matter or ego (hormones) win this one!! Rev your engines ladies, tomorrow is Monday...ugh!!

Deload wins, I followed Justine's advice and I think it was great advice! Today was a deload chest day and I did 5 working sets of bench, 115,135,155,135.115, all x 4, and 3x4 incline at 115. I finished with 20 pushups and did ride 1 mile prior to the chest work. No real science here, just shorter, lighter sets! I think part of the reason I have been postponing leg day was that I was tired from upper body stuff and needed a rest...this should help! Have a great start to your week Commandos!!

Tom, saw a meme today and thought of you:
Legendary contains leg day

Small things amuse me....

Decision well made on the deload

It was upper body for me today- bench, rows, incline bench, pull ups, Lat raises, skull crushers and modified candlesticks. The highlight was pull ups- I've lost weight and they felt easy! I may be moving to weighted ones. Yay. I know it's more down to bodyweight than strength gain, but still....

Y'all crack me up! Spent my rest day at the lake, even though it was colder than I like, I swam some. Note that one might not want to swim in cold water until one is sure there are no doms left........because cramps up!

Today was burn sets, chest, back, and shoulders! Love this in the xtrain set!
Found a killer clearance sale at Dillard's, upon trying on tops, I found out I'm a size smaller! Happy dance. Of course it all depends on style, but I will take it!

Then I broke down and bought a kayak!! It's one of the inflatables, I've heard good things, and we are near lakes, so figured it would be a good starter one. I also found a single tent (a little longer than a sleeping bag, barely wider), this will be great, especially if I get to take the bike to Virginia this summer!

I am trying to figure out how to do xtrain while camping. I am sure I will find a way.

Ok, rambling. Hope everyone is doing great! Y'all are killing it for sure!

Deload continues. The good news is.....NO dread factor!! Did 3 excercises for back today, lat pulldowns, 3x8 at 90#, dumbbell pullovers, 3x8 with 30s, and deads 205# x6x5x4. I rode 1 mile pre w/o on the airdyne. I am hoping this lighter week puts some "skip in my step"!! Justine, I am really jealous of your pullups! Hoping to get back to "em" someday! I am guessing that it "ain't" all about weight loss, but strength gain cause you have been working hard and hard work bares fruit!! By the time you and Roz are done with this program you are on, ya'll will be ready for a magazine cover.....COMMANDO ILLUSTRATED!!! Lib, kayaking sounds fun! Crush it ladies!!

I only wish I could get a wider grip on the pull ups. That's me, never satisfied!

Love the idea of commando illustrated. Think it'd sell? Advertising sales would be funny.

Anyway, today was leg day for me. Back squats, walking lunges, hip thrusts, good mornings and calves. This programme has slightly lower squat volume than HTS, and I think my legs are responding well. The body builder who designed the programme suggested that lowering volume can elicit a better response sometimes. In any case, it makes for more pleasant workouts!

Karen, good to hear from you.

Xx to all

Yeah, Justine's the pull-up stud of the group. I hit 7 the other day which was a PR for me. 10 is my best for chins.
Justine, I'm doing band-assisted wide grip pull-ups in Meso 3.
I think I'm going to stay with 6x week but do a ton of DB, bodyweight, and suspension trainer stuff. (The ST bit is my own addition -- there's lot of options for cable moves on the templates and I wish I had access to them. I realize you can't progress ST work as exactly as cable stuff, but, hey.) You're supposed to choose mostly isolation-y moves for Meso 3, anyways. The reps are higher and you only rest ~30 secs between sets. Very Cathe! :) I'm stoked for the change of pace.

Today was a rest day but I got a little walking in and chased my daughter around the playground and did some bodyweight stuff there. I'm just going to try to move and breathe more! I feel my cardio has gone down the tubes. :(

Great job, everyone! Lib, CLB is a butt-kicker! Great work on 4 risers! :eek:

Tom, yes, you need to deload! :) Both to drop fatigue and to drop dread!

Karen, good to hear from you! Is Clutch Cut over? How's the plant-based diet?

Lisa, HUGS!

XO
Roz

Last edited:
Lol, Roz......4 INCHES.....not 4 risers. Still a killer though! I was dying after each rep. But, did my best. Improving each time is all I hope for!

Today was Burn Sets bi's and Tri's. My triceps were screaming after those push-ups!!!

So, I thought I was done no alright on nutrition....with a few eating out times.......but not dropping lbs, actually the scale said 213! Ugh!! So I decided to enter my stuff into my fitness pal for a week.......one day and I realized my problem!! Wine has a ton of calories!! And when I hit mc Donald's with the kids, ONE meal was 1,130 calories!! And that was with no soda and a medium fry......ugh! The sodium for that meal was over 1500!!!!! Omg!! And then the kids wanted a burrito on my way home from work, and after having ONE, I out do out it is 370 calories! No wonder I'm not dropping lbs! I knew they were high, and try to avoid, but had no idea it was that high.......and the alcohol almost doubled the daily calorie intake! UGH!!!!

Okay off my kicking my butt publicly........and getting real about my nutrition. One week at a time.

BTW, thanks for talking me into Xtrain! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!

Funnily enough I had pull ups today! In fact it was all upper body. The sets are starting to ramp up, (20+abs), but are still manageable. I think it's next week where the pain begins.
Now, wide grip pull ups are another matter entirely. I still use a band if I need to do those for reps. I think that means I'm using my arms more than lats when I do standard width grip.

Lib. Wow to those calorie numbers. I'd no idea macdonalds was quite that bad. Wine, I knew all about (ahem). But I'm 12 weeks without the wine (or only a couple over that time), and it does make a difference. I intend to have a glass or 7 this coming weekend, though.
I'm lucky I live in such a remote spot. Almost an hour from fast food - so a 2 hour round trip means it's not fast! And if I don't have wine in the house, it'd be a 40 minute round trip. It does help....at the moment asparagus and eggs is my fastest food!

Roz, I'm sure meso 3 will be a welcome change of pace. I hear people saying it's only coming in at 45 minutes. I'm always slower than average, however!

Karen, Lisa, hi!

Hi, my friends! Things have been interesting and quite eventful--and totally unexpected!--for me lately, including a forced medical rest. I won't get into details because I keep things private on the Internet (I'm not even on Facebook), but I feel blessed to be feeling good on this beautiful, sunny Wednesday. I'm doing so well because of my fitness lifestyle. Fitness really is life, vitality. I'm looking forward to getting back into it. I've been walking the past couple of days and it feels GREAT! I think next week I will venture back into lighter Cathe workouts (is there such a thing?!?!).

Justine, great work! You consistently kill it. I am sure I would love your squat cage. I guess I should say enjoy your gentle workouts this week, and stock up on Epsom salts while you can still walk/lift/move? That RP eating plan just sounds so tough! I could never do it! How is your DH and his knee?

Tom, you never stop! I'm with Roz, a deload might be just the thing. I've not really enjoyed my forced rest but I can tell you that it has stoked the fires of my Commando Iron Pumping heart! :) How's your DW and her knee?

Roz, well, you know. I bow to your greatness. You're the best.

Karen, holy smokes, are there enough weight plates on the planet to load the barbell that Karen the Great considers "heavy?" I can only imagine! I would love to see a sample of exercises, reps/sets from one of your Push/Pull torture sessions.

Lib, SO proud of you! You are so dedicated to XTrain. You are a force to be reckoned with. Yay for smaller shirt sizes, and extra extra extra yay for a smoke-free life! You go, girl.

I'll be back probably next week. Thanks, my friends. You all keep me motivated and inspired! HUGS and HIGH FIVES to all.

Justine, I read your post and now I have to ask. What was it about Ice Metabolic? I still haven't tried any of it, and I probably won't if it doesn't get the Justine thumbs up. I usually like whatever you and Roz recommend. So, just asking. Today is a chest day for me. Will report tomorrow. Are you and Roz doing a specific program? What are you doing these days? Please tell! I love to hear what everyone is doing.

Great to hear from you Lisa. Hope you are well, resting vibes coming your way!
Yes Tom, sometimes a deload is definitely needed!
Hey lib, what is your adventure of the day?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.