Lifting and Afterburn type workouts

imlovinit

Cathe, I am wondering how to best incorporate lifting with workouts such as Afterburn and the new ones where light weights are also used; I don't want to over train. Can I do them back-to-back, or should I leave a day between them?

I usually do an STS, Pure Strength, Gym Style or Slow and Heavy type w/o 3 times a week, a total body type workout either weekly or every other week, HiiT 2 times a week and steady state cardio (running, step, Cardio Core circuit, etc.) 2 times per week. I LOVE Afterburn and Cardio Supersets and can't wait for the new workouts and try to get them in at least once per week!

I know you are busy with the new workouts so I can wait for a response. Just wanted to get the question out there. Also, it was fabulous to meet you and so many other wonderful people in Chicago!

Stacey

Hi Stacey :)

Any workout that involves weights as a supplement to aid in cardio output is generally not heavy enough to be considered a complete strength workout. Therefore it is okay to do this workout after a strength day. With that being said, if specific muscles are in a state of serious DOMS from the days prior strength workout, and even holding light weights fatigues the DOMS affected muscles, then you should rest those sore muscles completely for that one day (verses doing a cardio workout that involves light weight training of those specifically sore muscles) and let them recover.

If you are however, not sore at all or just very mildly sore, using light weights will not interfere with your recovery and in fact could even help to loosen up the light tightness in the muscles.

Realize also, that you can do light weight cardio based workouts on consecutive days (if you prefer to) but cannot expect to count these as weight conditioning workouts to develop high quality lean muscle mass. Your need to use your complete strength based workouts for that purpose.

Enjoy your new workouts Stacey. They are actually much more non-weight cardio-based than Afterburn and Athletic Training were.

Cathe, I am wondering how to best incorporate lifting with workouts such as Afterburn and the new ones where light weights are also used; I don't want to over train. Can I do them back-to-back, or should I leave a day between them?

I usually do an STS, Pure Strength, Gym Style or Slow and Heavy type w/o 3 times a week, a total body type workout either weekly or every other week, HiiT 2 times a week and steady state cardio (running, step, Cardio Core circuit, etc.) 2 times per week. I LOVE Afterburn and Cardio Supersets and can't wait for the new workouts and try to get them in at least once per week!

I know you are busy with the new workouts so I can wait for a response. Just wanted to get the question out there. Also, it was fabulous to meet you and so many other wonderful people in Chicago!

Stacey

Thanks

Thanks for the great question...I have been wondering the same thing. And boy Cathe you sure did clear it up for me with your answer. As always it explain it so professionally and I it makes such sense. Looking forward to the new workouts.

Thanks Cathe..

Thanks Cathe for the response, which was just what I wanted to hear :) !

Also, did the two new ones with the Extreme bonuses and they are AWESOME; just saying (huge smile)..

Thanks for all you do to keep us motivated, in shape and healthy; you are the BOMB!

So glad to come across this information! I love all the new metabolic weight workouts and now better understand how to fit them in with everything else.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.