Level of Impact of New Workouts?

Shelbygirl

Cathlete
Would it be possible to tell us which of the new cardio workouts is expected to be lower impact? The level of impact is a big issue for me these days (due to a previous back injury), so having this information will better enable me to decide whether or not I should pre-order.

Also, whether or not you have decided to include a lower-impact modifier in any of the workouts would be helpful info as well.

Thanks!
Shelbygirl

Last edited:
Great question! I've been holding off from ordering as I am concerned about the workouts being to high impact for me.

I am holding off on pre-ordering as well. About to turn the Big 50, and I cannot do those tuck jumps anymore :)

I would be disappointed if it's all low impact.

I really think the best thing to make everyone happy is to have someone showing the moves low impact.

I know it's great for some people and it will also be adjusted for pregnant women.

But I have to say, if it's all low impact... I don't think I will be that excited about it...

Hard to please everyone I guess...

we will see what they will decide.

About to turn the Big 50, and I cannot do those tuck jumps anymore :)

I've already seen the big 50, and I could never do tuck jumps! :cool: (but I still do some impact).

I think the perfect solution would be having low-impact (but not low-intensity) modifications shown.

I've already seen the big 50, and I could never do tuck jumps! :cool: (but I still do some impact).

I think the perfect solution would be having low-impact (but not low-intensity) modifications shown.

I concur with kathryn. Seen & passed big 50 & I've never been able to do tuck jumps. What I do is modify, modify, modify.

I wasn't asking for all low impact. It just would be helpful to know which workouts are expected to be low impact vs. high impact. (Having a low impact modifier would be great, however!).

Shelbygirl

Judging from the descriptions of the workouts, I think you can make educated guestimates about the level of impact each will involve since we all know Cathe cardio workouts already.

The HiiT is likely to be high impact during the 2 min bursts and low for the 1 min rests. High impact is the best way to get the intensity needed for true HiiT.

The athletic step will include a fair amount of high impact, especially during the "high voltage" sections. The step moves sounds like an up-dated version of RS and the impact will more than likely be low. The intensity will come from the speed of movement and choreography complexity.

The circuits will likely include a variety of high and low impact with more high impact in the skills and drills workout I expect. These workouts sound like Bootcamp, so there could be some moves like tuck jumps, but also lower impact moves such as we find on Low Max that keep the body moving closer to the ground but over a greater distance to get the intensity up there, like speed skaters. Then there will probably be moves like mountain climbers and squat thrusts. How do you rate those intensity wise?

The MMA sections will be mixed impact also. Higher impact in the jump rope sections and for the sequential power kicks Cathe loves to include, but lower in the punching/kicking drills and heavy bag section.

This is how I envision the STS cardio series.

Clare

Judging from the descriptions of the workouts, I think you can make educated guestimates about the level of impact each will involve since we all know Cathe cardio workouts already.

The HiiT is likely to be high impact during the 2 min bursts and low for the 1 min rests. High impact is the best way to get the intensity needed for true HiiT.

The athletic step will include a fair amount of high impact, especially during the "high voltage" sections. The step moves sounds like an up-dated version of RS and the impact will more than likely be low. The intensity will come from the speed of movement and choreography complexity.

The circuits will likely include a variety of high and low impact with more high impact in the skills and drills workout I expect. These workouts sound like Bootcamp, so there could be some moves like tuck jumps, but also lower impact moves such as we find on Low Max that keep the body moving closer to the ground but over a greater distance to get the intensity up there, like speed skaters. Then there will probably be moves like mountain climbers and squat thrusts. How do you rate those intensity wise?

The MMA sections will be mixed impact also. Higher impact in the jump rope sections and for the sequential power kicks Cathe loves to include, but lower in the punching/kicking drills and heavy bag section.

This is how I envision the STS cardio series.

Clare

I agree with Clare's assessment, especially in light of the paragraph cut/pasted from the initial announcement:

"STS SHOCK CARDIO is a maxed out blend of scientific research and cross training concepts at its best. You will do interval, circuit, steady state, longer, shorter, random and even ratio-based fitness training. You will do Kickbox, Boxing, MMA, HIIT training, Circuit, Speed, Agility, Power, Step, HIGH IMPACT, LOW IMPACT (emphasis added)… the list goes on."

And I say - BRING ON THE HIGH IMPACT! I'm pushing 48 and pushing it hard, and I love tuck jumps, flying vertical jumps, airborne jacks, plyo lunges, one- and two-legged forward bounding, one-legged hops, sequential power kicks . . . well, you get the idea. Just because one reaches a certain age does not mean they necessarily are incapable of certain exercise practices.

GO, CATHE! GO, SHOCK CARDIO! (Truth in advertising, I love it!)

A-Jock

Hmmm...I have to say Low Max, which is a low impact workout, is a pretty kick a$$ workout. I haven't hit the big 50 yet, but I do value my knees and back and try to get a hard core workout that does minimal impact to my body. Another reason why I love Cathe's workouts.

I concur with kathryn. Seen & passed big 50 & I've never been able to do tuck jumps. What I do is modify, modify, modify.

I'm quickly approaching 50;) and I do more of a hop jump! :D
It's a medium jump with less impact and it still gets my heart rate up.

Just because one reaches a certain age does not mean they necessarily are incapable of certain exercise practices.

GO, CATHE! GO, SHOCK CARDIO! (Truth in advertising, I love it!)

A-Jock

That's true, but many of us (even those much younger than us in our 40s) are finding our bodies injured or re-injured due to high impact and torquing in moves. So the point of this thread is to get some clarification on how much impact is in each workout so we can be better informed before ordering.

I'm glad for the truth in advertising too. When I saw the Shock Cardio title, I thought, "Okay, here's some more super high impact Cathe -- probably not for me." I do love (and am still able to do) many of her cardio dvds though, so before I order, I'd want to either know more beforehand or will just wait for reviews in September.

I love Cathe's Low Impact Circuit and Low Max. They are so great for an intense aerobic workout without pushing the old joints too much. Low impact, high intensity is the way to go! In some of the moves Cathe shows the lower impact move first, then moves it into a higher impact option. That's a great way to do it. She's a pro -- let's trust her!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.