Let's Talk St. Bernards

Hi Cathe! I'm a big fan of mixes and of rescues, but man, I lurve st. bernards. there's a st. bernard and a great dane that go to the same dog park we bring our lab/greyhound/pit mix (Evee) and they are the best referees you can find for the dogs. But yes they slobber. like cartoonesque blobs of slobber. But its a sign of love, no? (On another note, my dog used to drool all over the place and my mom gave me the idea of putting water bowls around the whole house and making sure the water was relatively fresh all the time. apparently, she drools less if she's better hydrated.)

And on a separate st. bernard note but still dog related, my dog knows the ending music to the shock cardio workouts. You know how you say cool down before the stretch? Well, when its a shock cardio workout I take my pooch on a quick walk and then come back and stretch. Well she's so trained by this now that she greets me at the door when I go pause the music. (And I know its only the shock cardio dvds because she doesn't come for any of the longer cardio workouts.) Dogs are great, aren't they?!?!?

My Dad always wanted a St. Bernard but we always ended up with Labs....Now, my parents are the proud owner of a little teeny weeny doggie name Leah. Well, perhaps not too tiny as she's an English Mastif. LOL! Yes, as others have mentioned, she drools... alot.... I would htink that the St. Bernard would as well...just think of where the dool would go when they shake their head....sorry, but my drooling kitty does this all the time...

Then again, there's the issue of long hair...around the rear section....I have to deal with this issue with my other kitty. Good thing there are kitty wipes and a good pair of scissors. ;-)

But, I wouldn't change a thing from the drool or the smelly tail. Keep us all posted in what you all decide as a family.

Hi Cathe,

I'm pretty much in love with all dogs, so any breed sounds great to me. Just please please please don't buy a puppy mill dog! Please go to a breeder or the animal shelter instead!

Love pugs. There are also poodles - come in several sizes, great with families, super smart, and no shedding at all, although you do have to maintain them via haircuts. I like their hair in either the lamb or teddy bear cuts. Dogs rock!! (so do cats)

Last edited:
How can you not love the face of a St. Bernard? I still think of them drawn in cartoons with the barrel on their colar saving the day of the lost hiker in the snow.
I don't know why but I can picture Cathe jogging with a husky.

Last edited:
Another issue to seriously consider is the larger the dog the shorter the lifespan. This is a sad issue to raise but is very important item to consider when choosing a larger dog.

Cathe-
When I was a little girl, our neighbor had a St. Bernard named... Puddles. Appropriate name because he left drool everywhere!! :eek: Even if you brushed up against him, you'd get huge drool spots on your clothes. But the sweetest dog I ever met!!

I have a soft spot for shelter dogs.... Have you considered going to your local shelter and just seeing if any of the dogs tug at your heart? I adopted my Maggie almost 13 years ago. (Pictured below)

Attachments

• 100_1020.jpg
    100_1020.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 15
I had a friend that had one. They are the friendliest, sweetest, big ol baby. She trained hers to get her slippers but don't leave them alone with them. Of course the drool, shedding and hers loved chewing shoes.

We had one a long time ago when I was a kid. I don't remember a lot about him, just that he was so big and SO gentle! A very sweet family friendly dog. I also have a real soft spot for Boxer's. Our Shamrock was very protective of the family, but I don't think he would ever hurt a flea. He could look and sound very menacing, but the kids could lay on him, pull his ears, poke at him and he would just sigh and endure it. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Pam

St. Bernards are great, but I'd vote for a yellow lab! Maybe a little bit older one so you don't have to go through the crazy lab puppy stage... My Casey was a holy terror as a pup, but he's the best dog I've ever had.

Thank You sooooo much everyone! I'm feeling so emotional just reading all of your posts. I really miss the love and affection that a family pet brings. Those goofy and silly moments, those "poofters" that clear the room, their unconditional company at all times...even when your trying to have a private moment in the bathroom (ok, TMI), their perky ears when you call them or they hear a noise, that sound of them licking their paws, chewing a bone, or biting at an itch. The way they love to sleep spread out just where you need to get to, their faces when you pack a suitcase, etc. While I do love all animals I am certainly partial to dogs (most especially black labs) since there was anywhere from 1 to 3 living in our home my entire childhood.

Btw, yes, I did consider a boxer and even other color labs to ease the hurt a bit. Well, looks like I have a lot of thinking to do with the family. Thank you again for your input, suggestions, links and stories. You have all helped me more than you realize. :)

Cathe,

It's funny that I see this post today. I saw a family selling St. Bernard puppies on the corner, so cute. I saw their mama dog, she's huge! I'm a big dog lover and have owned lab mix, 1 purebred alpha male German Shepherd had him for 10 years he had to be but to sleep in March due to MS. Not exactly great for me since I have MS. It just killed me to see my GS named Vader get stricken. He was my baby and my best friend and so smart and protective of me, the family and property. He never was dangerous or anything. I could take not having a German Shepherd I was too deeply grief stricken so I went on the hunt for another German Shepherd purebred male puppy. We found one he was 8 weeks old when we got him he's now 16 weeks and weighs about 40 lbs. We named him Ares, he's going to be a big boy. He's sweet and when we went to get a puppy he picked me. He's too cute and know's he's my baby.

I know St.Bernards are huge and were used as rescue dogs because of their size they will keep you warm in cold temps, so if your cold cuddle up with one. I did watch on animal planet episode talking about St. Bernard's and their are always genetic dispositions with every breed to consider and instincts each breed is known for. They mentioned that St. Bernards have the drool issue, shedding, and they are a giant breed so there life span can be shorter than that of a smaller breed dog. I'd suggest checking out http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogprofile.do?id=2500 here's what I found:

AKC Ranking: 39
Family: livestock dog, sheepdog, mastiff
Area of Origin: Switzerland
Date of Origin: Middle Ages
Original Function: draft, search and rescue
Today's Function: companion
Avg Size of male: Height: >27.5 Weight: 120-200
Avg Size of Female: Height: >25 Weight: 120-200
Other Name: St. Bernhardshund, Alpine mastiff

History
The Saint Bernard probably has its roots in the Roman Molossian dogs, but it wasn't until between 1660 and 1670 that the breed developed into the magnificent dog responsible for saving so many lives. Around this time, the first of these large dogs arrived at the St. Bernard Hospice, a refuge for travelers crossing between Switzerland and Italy. The Saint Bernards originally came to help pull carts and turn spits and may have also functioned as watchdogs or companions, but the monks soon found them invaluable pathfinders through the deep snow. The dogs were adept at locating lost travelers. When a dog found a person, it would lick the person's face and lie beside him, thus reviving and warming the person. The dogs continued to serve in this invaluable role for three centuries, saving over 2,000 lives. The most famous of all Saint Bernards was Barry, who was credited with saving 40 lives. Before Barry's death, the dogs were known by several names, including hospice dogs, but by the time he died he was of such fame that the dogs were called Barryhund in his honor. In the early 1800s many of the dogs were lost to severe weather, disease and inbreeding. Some of the remaining dogs were crossed with Newfoundlands in 1830. As a result, the first long-coated dogs of Saint Bernard type appeared. Although it seemed that long hair would help a dog in the cold snow, in fact it hindered them as the ice clung to the coat. Thus, these long-haired dogs were not kept for rescue work. The first Saints came to England around 1810 and were referred to by many different names, among them sacred dog. By 1865, the name Saint Bernard was in common use, and it became the official name in 1880. Around this time, the breed caught the eye of American fanciers. By 1900, the Saint Bernard was extremely popular. Although it has since vacillated in popularity, it is always one of the most popular giant breeds.

Temperament
The calm, easygoing Saint Bernard is gentle and patient around children, although it is not particularly playful. It is devoted to its family and is willing to please, although at its own pace. It can be stubborn.

Upkeep
The Saint Bernard needs daily exercise in order to stay fit. Its requirements can be met with moderate walks and short runs, however. It is best raised outdoors, away from slick surfaces. Overweight puppies raised indoors are more prone to hip problems. It enjoys cold weather and does not do well in heat. This breed can live outside in temperate to cold weather, but does best when allowed access to both house and yard. Its coat, whether long or short, needs weekly brushing, more so when shedding. All Saints drool.

Health
• Major concerns: CHD, gastric torsion, entropion, ectropion, distichiasis, elbow dysplasia, osteosarcoma
• Minor concerns: OCD, diabetes, heart conditions, cardiomyopathy, pyotraumatic dermatitis
• Occasionally seen: epilepsy
• Suggested tests: hip, elbow, cardiac, eye
• Life span: 8 – 10 years
• Note: The Saint Bernard does not tolerate heat well.

Form and Function
The imposing Saint Bernard is powerful and proportionately tall. It is strong and well-muscled — necessary qualities in a dog that must trek through deep snow for miles. Its coat comes in two types: smooth, in which the short hair is very dense and tough, and long, in which the medium-length hair is straight to slightly wavy. Its expression should appear intelligent.

Related Dogs
Bernese Mountain Dog
Boxer
Bullmastiff
Doberman Pinscher
Great Dane
Great Pyrenees
Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
Komondor
Kuvasz
Mastiff

I don't know it that was helpful or not. I love big dogs and you can really play with them and the kids can crawl all over them. These dogs are just ball of love and fluff. I've never had one but I have seen Beethoven and thought how cute those puppies are. Good luck in your hunt for a great puppy whatever the breed you choose. Dogs are great they love you and you love them back and they become a cherished member of the family and they are always happy to see you and can lighten any bad mood in a second. I love big dogs, I'm especially in love with German Shepherds. I can't get enough of them and just don't want to be without one. I'm sure your boys are going to love whatever dog you choose and be their best buddy.

Hugs!

Hi Cathe!! My boss breeds St Bernards. They are very lovable & the puppies are so cute!! He has some 6 week & 8 week olds right now. I asked him about the drooling, he said his drooled mainly when excited or hungry or thirsty. He also said there is an inexpensive procedure the vet can perform to stop it. You probably don't want to come to Orangeburg, SC to get them, though I would love to meet you!!

My vote would be for another lab. Here's my furry baby. She's grown a little more since that picture.

Attachments

• Molly 211.jpg
    Molly 211.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 15
Hi Cathe,

I was fortunate enough to have a black lab AND two pugs at the same time. I lost my lab, Jordan, to lime disease a few years back and it was devestating. The pugs were just as upset as I was :( Now it's just me and the puggies. I love them to death. The only downside is that they are a bit lazy. So, I can't take them out for a jog like i would with the lab. A walk around the block is about all i can get out of them :)

Every breed has goods/bads and in-betweens.... but all of them will love you unconditionally so how you can you really go wrong? :)

Good luck on the pup search!

Jenn

Hi Cathe,

I was fortunate enough to have a black lab AND two pugs at the same time. I lost my lab, Jordan, to lime disease a few years back and it was devestating. The pugs were just as upset as I was :( Now it's just me and the puggies. I love them to death. The only downside is that they are a bit lazy. So, I can't take them out for a jog like i would with the lab. A walk around the block is about all i can get out of them :)

Every breed has goods/bads and in-betweens.... but all of them will love you unconditionally so how you can you really go wrong? :)

Good luck on the pup search!

Jenn

Lazy???????? Maximus would be SO offended! ;)

Attachments

• Max.jpg
    Max.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 17
Yeah, the slobber factor

Lots of DROOL!!!!!!:D:eek::D

I don't own one but know a family who does. They love their St. Bernard dearly but he apparently leaves his drool everywhere he goes. :p

I never owned one, but did know of the slobber problem. They eat their weight in groceries & drool. Other than that, they may be just fine! ;-)

Cathe,
I have a "niece" who is a black lab. They are nearly perfect animals :p:p I am also partial to golden retrievers, friendly, loyal, cuter than cute....but make sure you have a powerful vacuum!!!!

Lazy???????? Maximus would be SO offended! ;)

LOL! Maximus is so cute! :D
It must be in the name....my Maximus is very lazy! I mean laid back. :p
photo6.jpg

Last edited:
New Puppy at our Home!!

Hi Cathe,

I read your post from yesterday and I had to write!! We have a new Bullmastiff puppy at our home. His name is Dakota - I saw your black lab's name was Dakota! We have two children under the age of 10 so we wanted a dog that would do well with them as well as do well indoors. The Bullmastiff is related to the St. Bernard, however, the bullmastiff does not get as large and they don't drool at all. They are known as the "Gentle Giants" and are protective of children. So far, he is doing extremely well! I wake up each morning at 4 a.m. to do your workouts and when my children wake up, they used to come straight to my room to see me. NOT ANY MORE!!:)( They go straight to Dakota's kennel!! He is only 14 weeks old (we've had him since he was 8 weeks old) and he is still being house trained and he is teething, but he has brought so much joy to my children, I wouldn't have it any other way! The only thing I can't stop thinking about is the fact that larger breeds don't have a long life span (his is 8 - 10 years) and I'm thinking my son will be going to college and my dog is going to die about the same time and I'm going to be very sad!!! I know that's a terrible way to think, but my son had a fish for 18 months and when it died, I cried!!

Good luck with your decision!!
Christine

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.