Let's Talk St. Bernards

Cathe Friedrich

Administrator
Hi Everyone! I'm wondering if anybody has a pet St. Bernard? I'm just starting to warm up to the idea of getting a new puppy (I've had black labs my whole life but after my last two passed away 6 years ago I somehow just couldn't bring myself to get a new puppy again). While I will always have the softest spot in my heart for a black lab, I'm thinking of getting a St. Bernard . I have not really done any research on them yet other than I think they are so cute and cuddly and yes, HUGE (but my labs were 110 pounds and my roomate in college had her 160 puppy Mastiff live with us, so I am used to bigger dogs). Anyway, if you have one as a pet, can you tell me what I can expect? Thanks :)

Lots of DROOL!!!!!!:D:eek::D

I don't own one but know a family who does. They love their St. Bernard dearly but he apparently leaves his drool everywhere he goes. :p

Puppies!!! I love puppies!!! No St Bernard's at our house, though. The people down the street have 3 in a shoe box sized house. They are the nicest dogs. Go for it, Cathe.

Nan

Yes, after seeing that movie Beethoven I had a feeling that was going to be an issue. Not so sure how I'll feel about that but I'll definitely look into how excessive this "condition" is...lol. :D

Lots of DROOL!!!!!!:D:eek::D

I don't own one but know a family who does. They love their St. Bernard dearly but he apparently leaves his drool everywhere he goes. :p

Yeah, the drool thing is an issue. My ex had a newfoundland & that dog slobbered everywhere. Pools of it all over the place.

Cathe, how come not another lab? They are just the sweetest, smartest, cutest.............

Or perhaps I could talk you into a pug? No drool, no puppy damage (they can barely fit their mouths around your thumb, much less your shoe). Maybe this pic could convince you?

Attachments

• george_pug.jpg
    george_pug.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 41
LOL...Laura, I'll take George Clooney over the pug :eek:

Actually pug's are cute too. Do you have one? I still haven't ruled out getting another lab (yes, they are all those wonderful things you mentioned) but I somehow am just not sure if I am ready yet.

A family friend had a St Bernard and he was SO cute but shed a lot, especially during the summer. I don't know about you but I'm not a great cleaner so the idea of vacuuming everyday is just not appealing lol. They are super-friendly though and they eat A LOT!!

I had a yellow lab a few years ago and she passed away from cancer. Labs are such great dogs though: friendly, short hair, etc. We got another lab a few months after Sandy's passing because we love them so much. What if you got a yellow or chocolate instead of a black lab?

LOL...Laura, I'll take George Clooney over the pug :eek:

Actually pug's are cute too. Do you have one? I still haven't ruled out getting another lab (yes, they are all those wonderful things you mentioned) but I somehow am just not sure if I am ready yet.

I kinda thought that'd get your attention.

Yep, I have a 10 YO pug. He has been an absolute delight. No property destruction, & smart enough to learn quickly. Also very cuddly. He was my first small dog & I was surprised to find how nice it was to have a dog who doesn't take up half the couch or the bed. ;)

Cathe,

I appreciate your fondness for St. Bernards and such, but have you ventured to any of your local animal rescue centers?
We were fortunate to get our chocolate lab from a rescue organization when he was just 8 wks old. Someone had dropped him at the pound and he was going to be euthanized.
He is such blessing to our family I would never hesitate to go that route again.

Just a thought...:rolleyes:

We "met" one just this weekend at our local dog park! She was SO cute - very friendly. Her parents said that generally they are pretty inactive dogs - she was running around at the park and then walking nicely through the trails to get out of the dog park, but they said she'd then crash for the rest of the day. I have heard that the larger the dog (and they are HUGE - there were plenty of labs at the dog park and the St. Bernard and Newfie that was also there dwarfed even the largest of Labs!) the more mellow they are. So if you are looking for a running partner, a St. Bernard probably isn't a great choice! But for a big bear of a "buddy" around the house - they sound like a good fit.

Funny story - the wife mentioned that when their previous dog passed away, she wanted a small, male dog that didn't shed. They somehow ended up with the female St. Bernard!!!!

Hi Cathe,

Don't have a St. Bernard, but I've worked with the local animal rescue and we had one about a year ago. Great dispostion , but as others have said LOTS OF DROOL. That would not deter me though. Given the fact that I had two other dogs at the time, there was no way to convince my family to take a third one.

I of course, would love to encourage you to look at rescue dogs. There is a group that rescues St.s on petfinder but I'd also recommend www. bigfluffydogs.com they are a wonderful rescue organization out of Nashville. I got my Great Pyrenees mix there 2 years ago. They have many large and fluffy dogs for adoption. The contact person there was Jean and she was so helpful. I can't tell you what a wonderful puppy I got from them. They represent the dogs personalities etc. accurately and make sure it's a good fit. My avatar is a picture of him. He is about 95 lbs now. Love him to death.

Good luck with what ever you decide! Jen

Yes, after seeing that movie Beethoven I had a feeling that was going to be an issue. Not so sure how I'll feel about that but I'll definitely look into how excessive this "condition" is...lol. :D

Many St. Bernard people actually carry around towels just for that purpose - that's how excessive it is.

Also, the average life span of a St. Bernard is about 8 years so that doesn't give you much longer than the six years you had with your labs. And he will spend 2 of those 8 years as a puppy. Health issues include hip and elbow dysplasia, bone cancer, and eye problems among other things.

If you want a dog that can be active with you, I would consider a lab or something other than a St. Bernard.

Just things to think about.
Lisa

We have both a Saint and a Mastiff. Our Saint was a rescue girl, we got her about a year ago (she's about three years old now), and the sweetest thing ever. She's petite for a Saint - about 125 pounds - and looks very small next to our Mastiff (just turned a year and he's about 180.)

If you don't mind the shedding, they're wonderful - and the shedding is only really bad twice a year. As for the drooling, it's really not that bad - we keep a couple of towels in strategic places throughout the house, and wipe their mouths after they drink/eat. That's the only time it's an issue, unless we're outside and they're panting a lot - then they do slobber - but just chilling around the house, there's very little. Maybe we just got lucky in that aspect. She's very laid back - she has her moments of hyperactivity when the puppy gets her going, but for the most part, she's just a big cuddlebug.

I grew up with Jack Russells and other small, hyper dogs, so having these big babies around is a lot different from that, but I prefer them. They're the sweetest dogs ever if treated well and I can't imagine ever having any other breed of dog... except maybe a Great Dane, I've been wanting to add one of those to the mix, but hubby says no. lol

Have you considered a boxer?:D No drool and very, very sweet. Here is a picture of our dog, Nelle. Boxers are very smart, learn quickly, and love people. As for shedding, the more we brush her the less she seems to shed.

St. Bernards are cute! Because I'm a neat-freak, I would have a nervous breakdown with one drooling all over my house!:eek:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Nelle.jpg
    Nelle.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 136
Cathe,

I don't know anything about the breed, but you can find several St. Benard videos on youtube. The videos are a great way to see the breed in action.
Here is a St. Benard doing dishes! LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh-ills3nEQ&feature=related

We are adding a bullmastiff to our family this summer (our baby bully is due June 23). Before placing a deposit with our breeder, I joined a bullmastiff forum to learn about the breed, and watched a lot of youtube videos!:cool:

Have you considered a boxer?:D No drool and very, very sweet. Here is a picture of our dog, Nelle. Boxers are very smart, learn quickly, and love people. As for shedding, the more we brush her the less she seems to shed.

St. Bernards are cute! Because I'm a neat-freak, I would have a nervous breakdown with one drooling all over my house!:eek:

attachment.php

Yes, boxers rule! :D

Your boxer looks like my precious boxer girl Mercedes.:) She's waiting for me in heaven. She passed away last December.:(

Wow, thank you so much for all of your wonderful advice and input. Having a St. Bernard, or any new puppy/dog is definitely something I have to give much more thought. I was just starting the process of looking into another family pet but still not sure if I am ready.

Btw, Lisa, it has been six years since my labs passed away. Hampton lived to be 13.5 and Dakota was 7 (Dakota was a lab I raised for a program called Canine Partners For Life). You adopt and raise their puppies for the first year and socialize them (take them in stores and go to public events like concerts and other go to all public environments. After a year of socialization training under their supervision you give them back to the program so they can train them to go with a handicapped recipient with specific needs. Sadly Dakota's recipient became very ill and she could no longer care for Dakota so they called me up and asked me if I would like to have him for a pet because he could not be retrained for all new skills at 4 years old. So I was fortunate to have him for another 3 wonderful years before he passed.

Hi Cathe!

I had two when I was little and the drool is really gross. I loved them but it really does get everywhere and I HATED that. They also hate being hot so didn't come in the house very often. One did get bone cancer when she was only five and we had to put her down.

I'm with Lauramax and highly recommend pugs. They are such little companions and easily fit in vehicles, houses etc. They are so loving and are great family pets. I have a dayhome and the little puggie girls come with us everywhere. They are totally non-aggressive and really are little clowns. They are also easy to train. That is a totally biased opinion though :p

take care,
Laura

Attachments

• 2010_01282008fall0059.jpg
    2010_01282008fall0059.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.