Let's Do This Again STSept-Dec!

lightening16

Cathlete
Hey Everyone

I made it through Disc 2 yesterday and it went really well... well sort of. I didn't manage any complete pull-ups or chin-ups but I did try and do them by myself when I was lowering down. The tricep weights were a little light and I was able to up it 3lbs for each weight! So that was great. I am a little stiff today but not bad.
Good news! I can still walk after STS legs on Wed. I am a little tight in my hamstrings but not too bad. I swear I was 2 months straight with DOMS the first time around!

So my junkie confession... fitness videos. Discovering Cathe has not helped that very much. Since having kids I have had to reduce the number of things that I am a junkie about!

Janis - if I could do 3 pull-up and just one complete chin-up I would be very happy! I bet by the end of this Meso you'll be doing way more.

I hope everyone has been having a good week.

Heather

Good Morning :)

Thanks for starting the new thread Heather! Congrats on being able to walk after leg day. lol Fitness videos as your addiction of choice is excellent. ;) Doesnt it feel better own up to being a junkie? lol

I decided this morning to take a much needed day off from work to help my mental health. Woohoo! So this morning I got up and did LIC cardio timesaver premix, which is always a good one for feeling upbeat and then tackled abs circuits pilates abs. I have never tried the pilates abs before, so it was interesting, hopefully my coordination on the moves will improve the next time.

Alright, I am off to figure out what I want to do next with my free day. I will check back in later. Hope everyone is well and having a good Friday. :D

Hi Ladies

I just finished sts disc6 legs (second time around for this week.) Man, was that a great workout. I am soaking wet! I went deeper in my squats this time around to see how it feels, it worked my hamstrings right where I feel they are weak - so that's good. Of course my count was off from Cathe's but I caught up and re-wound for the calf raises. Those sit and stands still befuddle me. I don't know if it is because I babying my ankle or if my balance is still off from the horseback riding accident I had last December, but for some reason I just can't seem to get those right. My new goal - get the sit and stands worked out so I can actually do them right!

Ok my addiction - I think it would have to be internet "research" that, or books. When I get on to a new interest I look for and read all sorts of information on it, or product reviews or whatever. Like my ankle injury, I think it is anterior tibialis tendinitis, so I have been reading non stop about tendonitis, sports injuries, running, running shoes, shin splints, stress fractures, orthotics, doctors, treatments, return to activity time lines - blah blah blah you get the idea. And since I have returned to swimming the same obsession applies to that!

Heather - how old are you children? I know what you mean about DOMS, the first time around I was really aware of the deep doms in the glutes etc... not so much this time around. I should stretch more though, I tend to neglect stretching and abs. (which may be why I have a foot/ankle issue!) Oh and heat and massage helped a lot! so thanks for that tip.!

MJ - Enjoy your day off! Hey, I know, go play some tennis!

Today I need to vacuum and fold laundry, I procrastinate on both - mightily! LOL!:D

Tomorrow I am going to swim. Sunday yoga and ds19 turns 20. Monday is the Orthopedic surgeon appt so I'll have to double up STS on Tuesday. :eek:

Have a great Friday! I'll check back later. Hey - Jenn, how are you and how is your neck?

Hey Everyone

Today was my rest day...I had to work this morning really early so that messed my day all up. So it's just better as a rest day. It felt good though.

I think Janis just described my other obsession. I do that exact same thing with whatever I currently am interested in, achilles tendonitis, shingles for our roof (need to get it replaced) whatever. Sometimes I think that I am wasting my time but then when I finally read about celiac disease and I realized that I need to get tested for it think how many more years it would have taken for my doctor to suggest it.

My kids are 5 and 7, so a really fun age! At this point I'm still cool in there books and we can go and do cool stuff now.

Jenn - I seem to remember the first time around finding that bent arm rows really hard on my neck and having to stretch it all the time. Not fun, hope it is getting better.

MJ - LIC is just plain fun!

Tomorrow I am going to try Butts and Guts and then hopefully go for a run!
Heather

Good Morning :D

Day off was uneventful, but thats okay, sometimes I need a day of nothing in particular. Janis, tennis was, amazingly enough, on the plan, but alas, it rained here yesterday and in NY too so the tv tennis was rained out as well. Plus, its raining here this morning otherwise I would be out on the tennis court. The tennis gods are conspiring against me. lol ;)

Those sit n stands are tough for me too, I will see if I do any better when I get to disc 6. Its amazing how something that should seem so simple in concept is such a pain to do correctly.

ITA, with the internet research and obsession with a topic of the moment, I do that too. Must read everything. lol

I think I will try to tackle disc 5 and walk on the treadmill this morning and a KPC premix this afternoon since its going to be a rainy indoor kind of day. Hope the swimming and the running go well for both of you. :)

Be back later. :cool:

Good Morning!
So it sounds like we all have alot in common...
Guess that why we are here. I just did Butts and Guts and made it through. It felt really good but I know that my hamstrings are tight. I will be working on them all day.

I really struggle with the sit and stands, but I am interested if they will go any better this time around. Last time I sat on a pretty high bench to do them... this time I will try something lower.

Hope you all have a good day. Too bad it's raining were you are MJ but it sounds like you have a good day planned!

Going for a walk sounds like a good idea, and saving the run for tomorrow.
Talk to you later
Heather

Hi ladies,

My neck feels a lot better. I took 3 rest days. Friday I was still a bit sore, but today I can turn my head no problems. So tomorrow it will be back to workouts. I have to figure out a plan for the upcoming week. I am up to STS disc 6 but I would also like to run. Doing both might be a little over zealous.
The choices I have to make.

MJ - I love mental health days!:D Even if they are unproductive.

Heather - I am not a stretcher at all. I know I should but I never have the time nor do I make the time. Did you make it through Butts and Gutts and a run?

Janis - I can't do sit and stands either. I think it takes a lot of core strength also. Amy Bento does sit and stands in her Slo-Mo legs using the stability ball. I think they are hard enough with a chair a ball is just plain crazy. :D

Ok so that can be are goal for this time around, to get better at sit and stands.:)

Restarting with disc 1 tomorrow, 9-14-09!

Hello ladies! Hubby and I restart STS tomorrow, Monday, 9-14-09 and I'd love to join your "check-in". We finally got all our new cards printed out. I also preordered the tower and I'm really hoping it ships this week! (can't wait to see what I can do come Meso 3 using it!!) I also want to try using the tower for assisted pullups, like Denise and Brenda demonstrate. I need this challenge! During the 1st Meso cycle, I'm throwing in a few Insanity workouts, plus a few others such as Kelly Coffey Meyers new ones for my cardio work. During my 1st rest week, I plan to walk every day and just do whatever I feel like doing. (I also plan on trying Kelly's new Muscle Definition in the middle of that week using light weights) I'm going to eat higher protein on strength days and slightly less on non strength days. I want to lose a few more pounds to try to reach my goal weight/size. Hubby set up my weight tracker for me so maybe it will help hold me accountable.

It sounds like you ladies are doing great already! It is funny--I look back at my weight selections and I'm like, wow, I was really doing that even at disc 1?! I'm kind of scared in a good way ;).

I'll try to post after tomorrows workout and maybe hubby will too!

Denise

Hi Denise, Welecome to the group.

My plan for week is:
Today - run
Monday - disc 6 + abs
Tuesday - run, disc 7
Wednesday - cardio + abs
Thursday - disc 8

Hello Ladies and Gent!

First a big welcome to Denise and Brian!

I swam for 30 minutes yesterday. Not a huge calorie burner. I have to watch my eats while I rehab. I think I am eating too much out of frustration. I am displacing my unburned-pent-up-energy on eating. A great combination to gain weight! My orthopedic appt is tomorrow, hopefully it will be good news.

Heather - your children are at such a wonderful age. Well - all the ages are great. My only regret is that I wish we had had more children! How was your run? I have to live my running life through others!

I am encouraged that I am not the only one who struggles with the sit and stands.

MJ - how was your rainy, inside workout day? Did you fit it all in? The health club where I go to swim has two lighted tennis courts. I am eager to get my beginner novice game beyond beginner novice!

Jenn - your plan for the week looks good. How are your runs going?

Depending upon the outcome of my DR. appt I may repeat last week's STS.I'll report back tomorrow evening!

I was going to do yoga today, but since I have been diddling around too long on the computer (internet addiction- remember!) now I am way behind in my son's bday dinner preparations. :eek: I have to get off and make (vegan) espresso chocolate brownies.

Looking forward to hearing from and getting to know you Denise AND Brian.

:D

Happy Sunday Everyone :D

Welcome to Denise and Brian! Glad you will be joining us. :D

Today I finally got a short break in the rain this morning, so I was able to sneak in an hour and a half of tennis practice at the tennis wall and practicing serves on the court. :)

Yesterday I ended up doing disc 5 as planned plus walking on the treadmill twice for 45 min each to break things up between am and pm. Didnt find my motivation to do KPC premix though. Step I can do any day without any problem but getting myself psyched up to do the other cardios like kickbox and drills is sometimes a problem, something for me to work on I suppose.

Jenn, I am glad your neck is feeling better and your schedule looks pretty good for next week.

Nice job on B&G Heather! Thats one of those discs that keeps sitting there taunting me to try. After STS I will have to see if I can conquer it.

Janis, glad swimming went well and I will have my fingers crossed that you get good news from the orthopedic tomorrow. You have to get well so you can work on your tennis game. ;) Enjoy your son's bday celebration.

I have dinner out with the family tonight for my grandparents 90th and 93rd birthdays this weekend. I enjoy the family celebration, but in truth, I am not looking forward to going out to eat tonight as restaurant food, even if you pick the good things on the menu can mess up your plan for the day. Oh well, I will just eat something I normally do not as a treat and enjoy it. :)

Hoping to get another workout in tonight, will see how it goes.

Talk to you later. :cool:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I did Insanity Pure Cardio this morning (which I enjoy, shocking I know). Up for tonight is STS disc 1!! :) I'll try to check in either tonight or tomorrow and let everyone know how we did. Has anyone tried any of Kelly Coffey Meyers new workouts? I did the standing portion of Body Training and my glutes and upper quads were talking to me this morning--OUCH! Serious doms~

Denise

Hi everyone! So glad this check-in was started. I did Disk 1 this morning. Suffice it to say that push-ups are NOT my favorite exercise, but I did them all. Some big girl ones and some on my knees. I'm rusty on all those fast equipment changes. I have to adjust a lot and use ankle weights, wrist weights for quite a few exercises and I wasn't always fast enough and had to pause a few times.

About a week ago, I must have slept wrong because the middle of my back has been pretty sore/tight ever since. It didn't slow me down and it's no worse. I'd like it to be a little better before I take on the back exercises coming Wednesday though.

And, I'm really looking forward to getting the tower soon, too. Now, if they'd just get to filming those cardios. :D

Last edited:
Yeah the tower is coming, the tower is coming! I am so glad I preordered that darn thing--can't wait to actually DO my 1rm on my chest work for the Meso 3! ;)

We'll start with disc 1 around 4:15pm tonight--kind of a late start cuz hubby had a supervisor meeting at work so I have to wait for him to get home and get ready. :)

Denise

Hey Everyone

I just finished disc 4 and WOW what alot of push-ups! Here's a question for you. Is it better to do push-ups on your toes that are not as deep as push-ups on your knees or do full range of motion on your knees?? I am a little mad at myself as I went too high on the last shoulder and bicep exercise and then burnt myself out so even when I went down in weight I couldn't do the full set. Oh well. I'll know for next time.
I did just the cardio and core from Bootcamp for a little extra too. It went by faster than the last time so that must be a good sign.

Welcome to everyone joining in.

Janis - how did your appointment go? and how were the expresso brownies? My run was good yesterday but I could feel things tightening up at the end so I stretched alot yesterday. Everything seems good today! I kept my pace down but went a little longer. Thanks for asking!

Jenn - Glad your neck is feeling better.

Denise - How are you liking insanity?

Talk to you tomorrow!
Heather

Heather, I love Insanity! I am doing Insanity cardio workouts with the 1st Meso cycle just cuz ;).

Brian and I finished up disc 1 and wow, tons of pushups galore! I feel great but we'll see if I'm sore tomorrow, hee hee.

Denise

Hi Ladies and Gent

I'm back from the orthopedist and the news is not good. No tennis playing anytime soon MJ. And as a matter of fact, he told me if I wanted to get back to running I should lay off the lower body weight lifting, specifically squats and lunges. When I first asked him, he said "yeah sure", but then took a look at my biceps and realized I wasn't talking about 2 pounders. LOL!

He did say leg curls, leg extension, floor work but not heavy weighted work. Any non-weight lower body workout suggestions you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Cathy, welcome! And boy, do I know what you mean by those fast equipment changes. Now I read through the workout card before I start so I can have everything pretty much ready to go. The pause button is my friend too. :)

And awesome job to all three of you (Cathy, Brian, and Denise) on disc 1.:D:D:D Doesn't it feel great to be back at it!?

Yeah - Heather - push ups push ups and more push ups! Re: your Q, I think you should try to do as much as you can do on the toes, as you are working with all your body weight, and then move to knees if that becomes impossible. Cathe works different areas of the chest with those high end/low end push ups - wowzer! I bet you'll feel it tonight!

The espresso brownies turned out ok....needs more chocolate and more espresso. Sometimes I have to play around with a recipe to figure out how to make it better.

MJ - Disc 5 and 90 minutes of walking sounds like plenty! Getting motivated to do KPC can wait until the day after a rest day! Hey, what do you think of the non-seeded winner of the US Open? Were you rooting for her? How was dinner out with g'parents? 90 and 93! So cute. Did you take lots of photos?

Tomorrow I am going to do STS disc 7 and figure out what the heck I am going to do for lower body.

:D

Good Evening Everyone :)

Welcome to Cathy, thanks for coming and joining the thread.

Today ended up a rest day for me, which means I walked on the treadmill for 45min and did a section of stretch max. Tomorrow it will be back to the weights and disc 6 so I can get on track into week 3 the rest of this week.

Nice job Heather on disc 4. ITA on the pushups, they never end. I tend to do as many on the toes with good form and full range of motion, then I drop to the knees the rest of the time. Lets just say I spend more on my knees than not. lol ;)

Denise I applaud your attempts at mixing insanity with STS. I have the insanity discs safely tucked away in their box waiting for me to finish this STS rotation before I even consider trying them. So far I just watch them sometimes when I am on the treadmill. Good job on starting your new round of STS today with hubby. :D

Janis, bummer on having to lay off tennis and lower body weights for a while. As hard as it is, it is better to take the time to heal first so there isnt any permanent damage. The weights and tennis court will still be there when your body is ready again. :)

I loved watching Clijsters win the Open yesterday. I have always liked her and it was great to see her back again. To win a grand slam your third tournament back after 2 1/2 years off is quite amazing. Besides, shes the only player out there that has legs that I have an outside chance of obtaining for myself someday. Everyone else is just too tall and lanky. lol I wonder if the movement speed comes along with obtaining the legs? lol :p I just finished watching the mens final, a little bummed that Federer didnt win, but at least he lost to a pretty nice young guy with a good game.

Dinner with the grandparents at this age is always an experience, short-term memories are finally really starting to go, so even choosing something off of the menu can be an adventure. lol But I can only hope to be in as good shape mentally as they are if I manage to make it to my 90's. ;)

Alright, I think I am going to get to bed early and sneak in an extra hour of sleep before the alarm clock rings at 5 for morning workouts.

Talk to all of you later. Good Night :cool:

Hi ladies,

MJ glad you got some tennis in yesterday.

The first time I did sts I did not do the 1rep tests. I also started doing the same thing this time but I have decided to stop sts and take the tests and then start back up. So todays workout will be a full body using the 5 stars exercises for sts.

Hope everyone has great workouts today.

Hey everyone

I managed to get through STS disc 7, shoulders, chest, bi's. I had to modify a lot in order to not do the workout standing. It seemed to work out. (workout, ha!) I was aware of my ankle the whole time, especially on the push ups. This time around I have to go back to my knees.:(

I have been relatively inactive the last few days, so it felt really good to get blood flowing into the muscles and get them pumped. I probably will have to switch back to dumbbells for meso 1, doing barbell curls sitting wasn't working very well.

MJ - thanks for your words of wisdom re:tennis and weights will be there when I return. I need to be reminded of that regularly! Boy oh boy, lots of sore losers at the US Open! I can't help but thinking "brats". LOL.
My cousin tells funny stories about adventures in grandparent/alzheimer's land. It's only funny now. I won't be laughing so hard when it's me who is confused over the menu!

I think I'll keep STS to Tue/Thurs and swim MWF.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.