Let’s Get to the Core of the Matter!

forum_admin

Administrator
Staff member
UpperBodyFoamRollingBonus-0389.jpg

Let’s Get to the Core of the Matter!

When we’re young the focus of our fitness lifestyle is often centered around the way we look. We want to be toned and tight with nice muscles and of course, we wish for those six-pack abs! As we mature in our fitness life, we start to see a shift in our focus and we get a deeper understanding of what being fit and able really means to our independence and our longevity.

So, let’s circle back for a minute to those elusive 6 pack abs! It’s not uncommon to see people focusing their core training solely on developing their abs, but a strong core goes far beyond having a sexy six-pack! As we know, the core is more than just our abs. The core also includes our pelvis, lower back, and hips. The core is not only the center of our bodies, but also the center of our power, our posture, our balance, and our overall level of fitness.

There are many “symptoms” related to a weak core. Many of them we try to brush off as normal aches and issues that start to become problematic as we age. Although this is partially true, in reality, we can prevent some of these ailments with proper and complete core strength training.

How is your posture? Do you stand up straight or are your shoulders rounding? Do you suffer from low back pain without any known cause? Can you stand up from a chair without using your hands for support? Does your belly stick out? All these things can be caused by a weak core. In fact, a weak core can even make ordinary tasks like lifting a child, carrying your laundry, or walking up stairs more difficult!

In the Lift, Move & Restore Series we will work to train the core from all angles and in multiple planes to build core strength, stability, and coordination. Pictured here, Cathe, Jenn A, and Kristin are doing a jack knife exchange using a foam roller for added intensity.

The core is fighting to stabilize and keep the back and hips grounded as the upper body and legs work to pass the foam roller back and forth. The length of the foam roller adds an additional challenge as it makes the core work even harder to maintain power to support the pelvis, hips, and lower back.

This is only one of many core exercises included in this series that will challenge us in new and exciting ways. Incorporating this type of training into our routines is not only a great tool for injury prevention but is essential to our overall strength and healthy, active lifestyle.

Learn more or pre-order here: https://bit.ly/4bO6lHn

I dunno know, I’m just having trouble getting it positioned at the right place between
the feet to hold it in place….I can hold it if I accomplish the right spot.
I'm not exactly sure of the move they're doing but maybe bracing your core before transferring to your feet will help.

Also, Cathe's orange foam roller is really long so you might try with a shorter foam roller first to get the hang of the mechanics established.

foam roller is really long so you might try with a shorter foam roller first to get the hang of the mechanics established.
Yep, Lady Vol Fan, I think you're right......to me, this exercise is like the Core Ball
Exchange in several other workouts. I really like that one, and I usually always do the
modification she shows in one of the workouts, where you do the same thing, except
you keep your knees bent somewhat as you go thru the exchange movement. I think
my problem with this is that I have short legs and when my legs are up in the air, opened
as far as I can, placing my 36 in. roller between my feet to grab hold on is hard, I can
hardly get it in between them little feet in the air! If I go super slow and take my time
getting it in between there, I'm ok, but I gotta do it super slow...........

OMG! Has anyone tried this? Well, I did :). And I want to know the secret to being
able to keep the roller between your feet? I have tried it & tried it, and the roller falls
every time!
Am I not seeing something as I see Cathe and Crew still holding onto the ends of the roller and not between the feet. I am guessing she is just lifting up not exchanging between feet. Maybe I am missing something.

The core is fighting to stabilize and keep the back and hips grounded as the upper body and legs work to pass the foam roller back and forth.
It's this quote from above that made me assume you end up transferring and holding in your feet. (It's true the picture itself doesn't really indicate that.)

Am I not seeing something as I see Cathe and Crew still holding onto the ends of the roller and not between the feet. I am guessing she is just lifting up not exchanging between feet. Maybe I am missing something.

It's this quote from above that made me assume you end up transferring and holding in your feet. (It's true the picture itself doesn't really indicate that.)
You’re right Lady Vol Fan and this….
Cathe, Jenn A, and Kristin are doing a jack knife exchange using a foam roller for added intensity.
Key word is “exchange”

anyway, I was at Dick’s Sporting Goods this AM and they had a 24 in roller marked
down from $25.00 to $12.98 so I thought what the heck…Problem solved…I have
absolutely no problem doing this with 24 in. It is too hard to roll on, for me, but I
have a soft 36 for that. Maybe I will be able to work up to the 36, but all in all, 24 in
will be fine for this & some of those other exercises we have seen.

OMG! Has anyone tried this? Well, I did :). And I want to know the secret to being
able to keep the roller between your feet? I have tried it & tried it, and the roller falls
every time!
I tried it and can do it pretty easily but I need to position the roller carefully between my feet.

I also do a ton of this kind of work and am so interested in Cathe’s take on it.

anyway, I was at Dick’s Sporting Goods this AM and they had a 24 in roller marked
down from $25.00 to $12.98 so I thought what the heck…Problem solved…I have
absolutely no problem doing this with 24 in. It is too hard to roll on, for me, but I
have a soft 36 for that. Maybe I will be able to work up to the 36, but all in all, 24 in
will be fine for this & some of those other exercises we have seen.
I'm thinking Cathe & crew practiced to be able to use the 36" roller. I'll probably have to work up to that length/width ... but that will be a good challenge for me as my hips tend to be tight & working up to a 36" roller will be a challenge for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.