leg workouts

aschendell

Cathlete
Dear Cathe...
I know that it is important to work your legs during strength training... My question is why?:* I feel like I get a good leg workout on my cardio days. I do mostly step (with and without intervals) and kickboxing with a little running thrown in. I tend to prefer to do upper body on my weight days since my legs are usually tired from my cardio. When I do work my legs I tend to tire out pretty quickly. What am I accomplishing by working my legs on strength training days? Is is to help me get stronger for my cardio or just to add definition?

Thanks for your time...You are my fitness guru!:7

Debra

Not Cathe, but I used to feel that way too. I thought my legs were getting enough of a workout just by cardio.

Since I started doing weights with them, though, I have noticed my buns and thighs toning up really well. If I were you, I would just try it for a couple weeks and see if you notice any results.

-Becky

Not Cathe, but another suggestion would be for you to do leg strength training with lighter weights. If you are worried about "bulking up" in your legs, then do the exercises without wieghts. It is important to strength train. I find that I "bulk up" very easy in my legs so what I do is on my strength training days that involve legs, I either use lighter weights or no weights at all. However, I do strength train my legs pretty heavy about once every few weeks. This way I can still keep the strength and not bulk up. By doing this routine, I have notice an amazing difference in the tone of my thighs, butt and calves. It also aids me in the stamina that I have for cardio.

Good luck :)

Jenn

Not Cathe again... but I think that if you try to add in strength training for your legs, you'll notice that they don't fatigue as much on your cardio days. You'll have more power behind your jumps too. It's fun! :7

Thanks guys for your input...I will grunt it out and add more legs to workout weeks...}( Hopefully this will help on my regular days!

Debra

Debra,

Also horning in here without being Cathe. :) But I wanted to add something from personal experience.

You probably know that cardio activities will tend to recruit your legs in specific ways (for example, runners will have very differently developed legs than, say, folks who do a lot of step, or bicyclists). Leg strength and endurance training, and leg flexibility training are all important for developing a good balance in the strength and flexibility of your leg muscles. And having that proper balance really affects how the anatomy of your legs, hips and feet work for you. You want all those muscles, tendons, ligaments and underlying bones to work in happy cooperation, ya know?

I developed a very painful and activity-limiting chronic kneecap tracking problem as a result of having overdeveloped outer quads, underdeveloped inner quads ("teardrops"), comparatively weaker hamstrings, and tight IT bands. After two different bouts of physical therapy lasting two months each time, I think I've learned my lesson. ;-) I don't particularly enjoy leg workouts -- they're so hard and feel very much like eating my vegetables or taking my vitamins every day ;-) -- but I do them faithfully because keeping that good balance in my muscle strength and keeping myself stretched out good has made ALL the difference in how healthy my knees feel. And I want my legs to keep letting me do Cathe for a l-o-o-o-o-n-g time!

Hope this is helpful!

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sport/sport-smiley-001.gif

Kathy...Thanks for your advice...I don't enjoy leg workouts either, but what you say makes sense and will make me work on my legs more:p . I enjoy doing upper body strength in addition to my regular cardio...I feel like I can see more results with my upper body. My legs are fairly toned already, so I don't see as many results, but I am sure that you are right and I will gain things that I don't realize I will.

Everyone is so nice and helpful on this website:) Thanks for all the input!

Debra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.