Leg Press

mariatina

Cathe or educated crowd. I am unable to do leg presses on a 14 inch step as it aggravates my right hip. However if I do them on an 8 inch step it doesn't bother my hip at all. My question is does doing leg presses on an 8 inch step do anything or am I better off not doing them at all.

Why only 14 or 8? Can you do them on 10"? Doing them at all is beneficial, but doing them at a bit higher (10" or 12"....14" isn't necessary, IMO, and I vary between using 14", 12" or 10") is more effective than at 8". Also, make sure you squat down a bit on the bottom part of the move, which can help you make the shorter box step-ups a bit more intense (especially if you think of almost lifting your toe when pressing up to get the push through the heel.

I would use whatever you can use without agrivation and yes it will still be beneficial.
I went through a period during my Firm days where I couldn't use the 14inch step. My knees would hurt so I did the workouts on the smaller 6 inch one instead. Since there was such a big difference I was able to really focus on tightening my gluts and abs more and because of that - the workout was just as intense.
Somewhere along the line my knee stopped bothering me and now I use the high step at either 14 or 16 inches with no problems.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.