Leg Exercises with the Sliding Discs

hozenberg2

Hi Cathe,

I am having a really hard time with the disc work in High Reps and STS Total Body. I must have done something wrong as my hip is really hurting. What other exercises would be a good substitution for those? I want to start STS on Jan 31st and I don't want to hurt that hip again. I will try to work these in eventually as I progress but I am afraid of going to shallow with them and not getting the effectiveness they were meant to give me.

Thanks so much
Mary

Hi Mary,

I'm sorry to hear about your hip. This can sometimes happen if one goes too deep, too fast (or both) into the lunge which therefore places a great amount of stress on the hip flexor before it is conditioned to handle it. For right now you want to do GENTLE stretching each day to the tight area to keep it from getting too stiff along with no disc work for two weeks to let the irritated area recover. You may also want to consider taking an anti-inflammatory med once a day for a week to help with any inflammation.

When you return to disc work, initially avoid the warrior lunges (for about two weeks), since keeping the back leg straight as you go down and up places a lot more tension on the hip flexors than the other types of lunges do. Also initially (for about a two week period) stay more shallow in the remaining lunges additionally slowing down the movement so that you have full control of how deeply you stretch. Eventually your hips and surrounding muscles will get stronger and adapt to the exercises demands and you will also have better control and a better understanding of how far you can go and what your depth limits are.

Good Luck!

Hi Cathe,

I am having a really hard time with the disc work in High Reps and STS Total Body. I must have done something wrong as my hip is really hurting. What other exercises would be a good substitution for those? I want to start STS on Jan 31st and I don't want to hurt that hip again. I will try to work these in eventually as I progress but I am afraid of going to shallow with them and not getting the effectiveness they were meant to give me.

Thanks so much
Mary

cathe, what would you recommend for me in STS total body if i have bunion issues and can't do too many lunges? i know step ups were recommended in the past, but having not yet tried STS total body, I'm not sure if that would work. Just saw your recommendation re: hip injuries and figure you may have a suggestion.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.