Learning step patterns

fitat44

I have been using Cathe weight tapes for about six months now and absolutely love them. As an avid runner, I have not used the cardio tapes but cranky knees and Achilles tendons are forcing me to cross train. However, as a stepping impaired exerciser, when I am trying to learn the patterns, I am having trouble trying to mirror Cathe's patterns as she goes all around the step - I usually end up doing something opposite. Is it best to face her and always use the opposite leg or turn your step to the side and try to mirror her movements? I feel like I may be getting a workout that is not even as sometimes I am using the same leg and sometimes the opposite. I need advice from the experienced steppers!

Here is a reply I wrote to a post addressing this question a few weeks ago. Hope it helps!
==========================
As an instructor, the following has helped my class participants immensely:

Listen closely to the music as it plays in blocks of 8 count beats. There are four sets of 8 count beats in a musical phrase that come around to make a 32 count combination (pattern of choreography). Cathe follows this music phrasing to the letter, even when she is doing moves like a triple step (cha-cha) which is a 3 count move using 2 beats. She will break down her combos on the 8 counts so we can learn the moves, then squeezes out the extra repetitions to make the "finished product" combination totaling 32 counts.

When you get confused, count out the beats as you step and notice your foot placement. This will help when you do moves that face the back wall. I will often count out new moves to my students to help them understand when they will step, when they will lift their knee, when they will straddle the bench, etc. Counting in your head while you are doing videos really does help learn and reinforce the moves. Cathe even counts in some of her videos where she is teaching us moves we haven't done in previous tapes and it really is a lifesaver during confusing choreography.

What usually happens is that people tend to rush their steps and don't finish the previous move before beginning another. Counting helps you finish the current move and transition to the next.

I learned to step with the remote control in my hand, thumb poised on the rewind button! And I never really "got" step until I found Cathe's tapes due to her impeccable cuing. As you stated, practice really does make perfect.

Try it and see if it helps!

-Roe

I was sooo step-impaired before getting a DVD player! My DVD remote has a button labelled "A-B". It is for replaying a portion of the video over and over. (Press once at the start, then once where you want the sequence to end.) For a move I find tough, I set my player to repeat it (in a section of 15-30 seconds or so) and do it over and over until I get it. It works!

If you have DVD, check your remote for this button. Many people don't even know what it does!

:D Willow

Non-smoker since June 02/02!!

My key for learning new step patterns is to ALWAYS learn anything new on a lower step height. I generally use a 6" step, but whenever I'm trying out a new step workout, I always lower it to 4".

And the other suggestion of rewinding and doing it over and over and OVER until you get it works also!

Terri

Hey Willow, I have that A-B button on my DVD player (it's a Toshiba) and I make great use of it too!

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.