Leaning Out with Tracie Long, a review

Denise R

Cathlete
Tracie is such a breath of fresh air (kind of reminds me of the old Firm days!) Leaning Out is the 5th in the Longevity series and in my opinion, thus far, my favorite in this line! You'll see lots of pulses, tempo changes, angle options, compound movements and more....traditional and functional training merge together beautifully in this workout!

You'll need 3 sets of hand weights: light, medium and heavy. A pair of ankle weights is recommended but not necessary (you can work your way up to this). The total workout is 50 minutes (5 minute warmup, then toning, then a nice 7-8 minute long cardio section to really burn the fat, followed by more toning and then a quick 5 minute stretch brings it all together). You can choose to do it all or either of the 2 custom chapters (*).

*Lift-20 minutes of total body work

*Flab Fighter-13 minutes taking it to the floor for a moving sequence that works chest, back, hips and abs

Tracie begins the warmup with exercises to warm the legs and core and loosen the shoulders. Dynamic stretching blends effectively into the movements, for example when she performs squat/kick, actively warming up the hamstrings. Tracie includes lots of rotational movement to warm the core, back and side of the body (and it gently works the obliques too). Once the warmup is complete, you'll begin the weight sequences. You'll grab one heavy dumbbell and begin with one arm rows performed with a full range of motion. A balance move (knee) is added to this. Sumo squat into an upright row. You'll then progress this into alternating hands upright row. Now grab the matching weight to work the legs. Side lunges with alternating overhead press, then double arm. Squat for 3 pulses and hammer curl at the top of the move. Take pulses out and perform the set a little quicker. Place one weight down to perform the one arm row, 2nd side. You'll also perform the sumo squat/upright row set to this side. Now you'll perform the side lunge/overhead press, moving to the left. Deadlifts are next, so heavy up. Tracie changes the rhythm (count) on these. Lighten your weight to perform rear fly, working rear delts. These are done as a balance move on one leg, switching legs for each set. Medial delt combo is next. (keep the light weights as you'll need it) 2nd set of deadlifts with added rows so grab the heavy weights. (Tracie gives such great form pointers--better form for better results!) The cardio segment is next. You'll begin with a march and triple step. (this cardio segment is performed in sets of 4 for each sequence) Now take it forward and back which then leads into a higher impact scissor move. Tracie varies the speed on the scissors. You'll add on a front kick, rear kick, front kick, squat with double punch move. Recover and repeat it again. Jumping jacks really raise the heart rate. Now take it from the top, adding a new element--a step out right and left with arms crossing one another. You'll add a burst (jump) at the end. Tracie takes you through the sequence one last time. (you don't need tons of space to perform the moves) More weight is next. Heavy weights for legs. Forward, side and rear lunges work the entire leg, hitting it from all angles. Single leg squat in between. You'll add a glute lift to opposite leg. Now perform this to the other side. (you'll perform a total of 2 sets of this to both sides) Stagger squats work the buttocks/lower body effectively. 1 medium or heavy weight is needed next. The move is functional. You'll place the weight on the floor and lunge to reach for it first. Then you'll pick it up, curl it and lower it back to floor before coming back up. This progresses from a curl to an overhead press. Non weighted pulsing lunges begin then you'll add the weight to the opposite hand. Now hit the other side. The next move requires medium weights. Begin with a plie and alternating bicep curl then both arms curl together. Combine weights together for french press, working the triceps. Another set for the triceps follow--a triceps kickback. You'll repeat this one more time however on the 2nd round you'll replace the kickbacks with a straight arm pushback. Rotations overhead at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock position follow. This works the rear shoulder. Floor work is next. Dive bomber pushup into plank is first. This is followed by pushups with rotations to one side. You'll use your light weights for this move. Next Tracie performs back strengthening exercises while on the stomach. Pushups with rotations working other side follow. Dive bombers again. Put your ankle weights on (if using them) for side lying work (I love working this area). Following this you'll perform a bridge that you'll hold and then press one leg out then the other. Inner thigh work follows. (another area I love to work) Complete on other side. Remove the weights for ab work. Traditional crunches with knees in the air begin. Leg walk outs follow. Bicycle the legs next. Sit up and perform a mini roll back with rotation, working the obliques. Roll back to the floor for a few more crunches. Tracie then adds another oblique move, reaching the same hand toward the outside of the same side foot, "crunching" the side of the waist. That concludes the weight section before Tracie finishes the workout with a quick, efficient stretch.

Denise thanks so much for such a wonderful and thorough review. You inspired me to try this workout (I had it for some time, but it was still a virgin till yesterday) and I must say I agree with everything you said. It is a great workout and definitely a keeper. Thank you again.

Thanks Denise. I've been eyeing this one for a couple of months. I really appreciate your taking the time to write such a thorough description -- so cool.

Cathe's my favorite instructor, but I do like Tracie a lot. Guess I'll be ordering right away.

Have you ever tried her Better Burn, Better Buns workout? It's my favorite of hers.

Longevity & Focus workouts

I really am enjoying Tracie's new videos! They are just right for where I am right now....not too hard, yet challenging! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.