kitchenaid stand mixers

lovetocamp

Cathlete
Need some info on the pro series versus the artisan stand mixer. How long have you had yours and would you buy again? Thanks for any input.

I have the Kitchenaid Heavy Duty 5 quart stand mixer and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. My husband bought it for me about 20 years ago and it works just as great as the day I got it.

My mixer has a bowl lift not a tiltback head like the Artisian. I use it almost everyday for everything from dough to potatoes, I love to bake and it's perfect for it.

I absolutely would buy it again!!! As a matter of fact our daughter got her first apartment last September and for Christmas we bought her the Kitchenaid 6 quart stand mixer from Costco for $279 and she LOVES it as well!!!

Which ever one you decide on you will not be disappointed with it.

... Cheryl

I received the Artisan mixer when I was married 21 years ago. I use the mixer at least once a week, and it still works just as good as the day I received it. My mother has had her mixer even longer, I would say that hers is around 30 years old, and she has never had a problem with hers either.

I have both the Artisan and the Pro.:eek: What can I say, I am in the kitchen A LOT!:p

The Pro is the one I keep out & handy. The Artisan is in the basement kitchen. When I am in super-baking mode I bring the A upstairs and have both going. They both perform very well. I wish the Pro had a tilting head. But the Pro is better for....bigger batches of cookies!:D

But the Cuisinart looks so slick I want that one too!:eek:

I have the artisan in white (matches my kitchen) and LOVE it. it stays out on my counter because i use it constantly and its very nice looking, too. i can make a batch of 6 dozen cookies no problem. i also use the slicer attachment pretty frequently. recently, i have talked myself OUT of buying the ice cream maker attachment at least a half dozen times, lol. just what i need, homemade ice cream anytime.

I've had the Pro for fifteen years now; it goes through periods of light and heavy use. I'd definitely buy one again!

I have both the Artisan and the Pro.:eek: What can I say, I am in the kitchen A LOT!:p

The Pro is the one I keep out & handy. The Artisan is in the basement kitchen. When I am in super-baking mode I bring the A upstairs and have both going. They both perform very well. I wish the Pro had a tilting head. But the Pro is better for....bigger batches of cookies!:D

But the Cuisinart looks so slick I want that one too!:eek:

I was thinking I might like the tilting head better. How is it getting the beaters out without tilting on the pro? Is it messy?
Thanks

Thanks everyone for all the info. Really helpful. Sounds like either one is going to be a good pick. Thanks again

I don't find it messy to take the beater, whip or dough hook off, the bowl lowers about 2 1/2 inches so there is plenty of room to take it off and scrap it with a spatula.

...Cheryl

I don't find it messy to take the beater, whip or dough hook off, the bowl lowers about 2 1/2 inches so there is plenty of room to take it off and scrap it with a spatula.

...Cheryl

Thanks, just what I needed to know. Thanks again. Now I can't wait to get it. :D

I just have the basic one. My dad gave it to us when we got married (11 and a half years ago), and I use it A LOT. LOOOOOOOVE it!!! I used it this weekend to make homemade pizza dough (dough hook attachment). You're gonna love you're KitchenAid when you get one!!

I don't know if I have the pro or non pro one but I've had mine for 10 years and I use it to death during Christmas (cookie mania). It still works like a dream. I think no matter which one you decide on most will agree that it is timeless and well worth the investment.

I have Kitchenaid Artisan that I purchased 13 years ago. I loved it... UNTIL 2 years ago, when I noticed gold-colored fluid leaking from the main housing, around the beater, which turned out to be lubricating oil. I did a search on the Web and found out this is a HUGE problem among Kitchenaide stand mixer owners. The company acknowledges that this is an issue, but does little to offer solutions or any monitary compensation,or replacement. One solution they offer is to run your mixer for 10 minutes before you use it,to stop the flow of oil. Rediculous. They also claim that this leak happens from long periods of not using the mixer... Not true.
You can send the machine back to Kitchenaid headquarters, but the cost of shipping, at least for me, would exceed the cost of the mixer! BTW~ the oil leaks into the batter bowl and onto the food...disgusting.
Sorry to rant, but I think you should be informed before you make a major purchase, like this.

Sarah

I have a 6-QT pro and I love it. I have had it for 7 years and I use it for cookies, cakes and lately a lot of bread. It is heavy-duty enough to knead whole wheat bread dough without a problem. I prefer that it doesn't tilt.

I have not had a problem with oil leaking. I used to work in the kitchen of a hospital. We had a huge floor-standing Hobart mixer for big jobs, but we used a Kitchen-Aid Pro for the smaller jobs and trust me that thing was in use most of the day every day for the 12 years I was a baker - never had a problem.

The only thing I don't like about my large mixer is that if I have only 3 egg whites that I want to beat for a recipe, it can't do it. The bowl is too large and the beater doesn't quite reach to the bottom to whip those whites. One of these days, I am going to buy a $20 hand-held mixer for those jobs.

If you want the tilt head buy the Classic not the Artisan -- it is better made and has a stronger engine. I have both a Classic (it is 20 years old) and a Pro, which is four or five. They both work very well. I bake three or four times a week and make all of my own breads.

Tobermory

Ooooohhhh!!!! I have a white Ultra Power Kitchenaid that tilts back and was convinced after asking here May last year - everyone was so wonderful & helpful. It has a permanent spot on my kitchen counter and I use it probably more often than I should :eek: Whipping up a batch of cookies or a cake is a breeze now and cuts down my kitchen time. I can't say enough wonderful things about this mixer. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Kitchenaids - they are heavy duty!!! :D

I have had the 6 Qt pro for about 5 years and absolutely love it. I leave it on my counter, so the stand mixer works better for me. I wouldn't have room to tilt up a head without hitting my upper cabinets. Plus it has the bigger capacity which comes in handy at times.

This is the first time I have ever heard about oil leak issues. Sorry to hear you've had problems Sarah.

Ooooohhhh!!!! I have a white Ultra Power Kitchenaid that tilts back and was convinced after asking here May last year - everyone was so wonderful & helpful. It has a permanent spot on my kitchen counter and I use it probably more often than I should :eek: Whipping up a batch of cookies or a cake is a breeze now and cuts down my kitchen time. I can't say enough wonderful things about this mixer. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Kitchenaids - they are heavy duty!!! :D

I remember someone asking this, but could not find. Thanks for being so helpful. I am anxious to get mine now! Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Sounds like I will be happy with either one I choose to get. Now the only decision will be what color? :D I love to shop for kitchen items. Thanks again everyone.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.