Kickboxing

LuckeeLaydee

Cathlete
I want to order KickMax, but I was wondering how the difficulty is compared to the Tae bo workouts? Has anyone done both and can they give me a comparison?
thanks,
Paula

i like the kickmax. the old tae bo tapes i found to be challenging. the newest ones i really did not enjoy as much as kickmax. they do have a band he works with, but i think the intensity level is not that advanced.

Kick Max is WAAAAAY more intense than Billy Blanks's workouts. Believe me, you won't even want his workouts taking up space in your home if you get Kick Max.

That is, if you're looking for intensity--Kick Max only has about 15-20 minutes of kickboxing. The rest consists of blasts & leg conditioning drills.

I love Kick Max. The leg conditioning drills at the end are worth the price of DVD. They are super hard and super effective.

Thanks for the input....I bought the new fat blasting tae bo. I didn't have the bands yet, but I did it without and I thought, Huh, what are these people yelling and complaining about? Cathe could wup their arse. I figured it wasn't a fair comparison since I didn't have kickmax yet. But it looks like you all agree.
Oh well, here I go. Charge it!

Paula

well i hope you like it. I really like it. I think alot of people have thought that the first portion, the fun kickboxing combos are pretty easy intensity wise. This is true but you need that extra energy, belive me, because when you get to the blast section you go all out. I would say the first part is easier than taebo, the second is tougher and the last part, the leg drills are actually very very similar to the ab stabilization/leg type work that billy does. But he often does it at a much faster pace, he doesnt use a chair either. So that last part is probably easier than his similar work but it is longer. Let us know what you think.

I did kickmax for the first time this week on the low intensity premix. Wow. This is the first Cathe workout I have done where I had serious doms the next day! I can't wait to work up to the full version.

Well of Course Cathes Kickmax is the toughest. You are in the air for 10 minutes ! :D But the toughest Low impact taebo dvd I have done is Tabo Cardio Circuit 1. Its the twist in that particular workout that twist the wind out of you and make u dread the rest of the workout. I am an intermediate exerciser though ! It's like u are doing punches and then its back to the twist until it chokes the air out of your lungs then you do squats and back to those damn twist to choke you some more. I don't enjoy that workout but it's a challenge every now and then. Cathe is more professional and her cuieng is much better.

.Lisa

Hi Lisa:
The Taebo workout I bought was the fat blasting cardio workout.
I did it without the "Billy Bands" and wasn't too impressed. I just got my bands a couple of days ago and will try it with them this weekend.
I think I will alternate between Kickmax and taebo so that I get a different kickboxing workout. But it cracks me up how the people on the taebo dvd yell and moan like he's killing them. I think, yeah right, go do a cathe workout!
Paula

I see. Some of his videos are too easy and some are hard. He isn't the best instructor either and I fear getting injured doing his stuff.

Paula,

I have done both Tae BO and Kick Max. I can say that without a doubt Kick Max is absolutely worth it. The It is sonewhat comparable to Tae Bo, but it is much more effective ... at least that was my experience. Cathe does a great job and cueing you before each new move. If you liked Tae Bo, you'll love Kick Max. Just be prepared to SWEAT
Hope this helped,
Jenn

Paula,

I use the Billy Bands with Cathe's Kickmax leg conditioning drills, which make the drills much more effective. I think so anyways - you can make your kicks go higher and it gives you more resistance.

So, if you get the Kickmax try the bands with it.

Cheryl

Ok...I just did the Taebo this weekend (it is the fat blasting taebo) for the first time with the Billy bands...I have to apologize to Billy..the bands are what make this a killer workout. I couldn't finish it (but I had done MM the night before and didn't expect taebo to be this intense).
I still think Kickmax is more fun, more contolled with great leg drills, but this particular taebo is a great workout, too. They both will be used in my home gym!

Paula

I don't think you can compare the two.

I know Taebo works for many people but I don't like the style. The constant counting and chatting and breaking away from the routine drives me nuts.

Cathe just works your body to extremes and when you think it's over - it's not!

Still, if you like Taebo, you can still use Cathe kickmax as a different workout because those blasts and legdrills are wonderful workouts on their own.

I was going to chime in about the Taebo workout you were talking about but you ended up saying what I was going to say. It isn't the moves by themselves that are killer, it is when you use those bands with it that is killer. Now you know why those people are whimpering in the background!!! I have all the Billy bootcamp and the fat blasting cardio and the other one that is sold separately and like to use them once in a while for a change from Cathe. The bands are good to use sometimes when you don't want to do weights but want cardio and some resistance.

Toni

Hi Toni:
Thanks for your comments.
I agree that the bands are the key. Can you tell me if the bootcamp needs any other equipment other than the bands? Would you recommend it?
I may get that too in the future.
Thanks.
Paula

Can I jump in here?...:) I'm wondering if anyone knows what type of glove Cathe is wearing in the Kick Max video? I've searched the web everywhere and even checked out all her recommended stores and couldn't find anything close to it.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Hi Paula,

I thought I would jump in here and add some advice on the Taebo and kickboxing. I am a (old) Taebo addict. I say old meaning that I have been doing the advanced Taebo Live videos since they came out; how many years ago I don't know.

I have been SO dissappointed in the workouts that BB has released since then. There was a huge discussion on this on VideoFitness.com. The bottom line is, after many changes and lawsuits blah blah blah, the NEW stuff, including the boot camp videos are MUCH easier (for the most part) and targeted for beginners. I never thought about it that way until I read a post online. I just kept wondering why when I got a new tape/DVD it would not be any type of sweat fest like the Taebo Live workouts. YES< the bands and the upper body work he does with them are killer. I have kept the bands and still add those in for like added circuits to my cardio workouts. BUT the boot camp videos and the bands; well I just don't get how they 'add' to the lower body kicks and such. I broke one set of bands using exactly the way they instructed in the videos. And half the time the way they tell you to contort the bands on your body; I got 'burns' from the bands rubbing my shoulders etc. Hate to sound like a baby but its true.

And then, in general, in all the Bootcamp videos and the other later Taebo DVDs...he does SO MUCH instruction at the SLOOOWWWW pace, then he finally goes 'double time' or "real time" as he says but its like for 10 seconds so your heart rate doesn't get up there ever. Honestly I kept wondering why anyone in the videos had a sweat; they had to have turned up the heat like to 900 degrees because the workout could NOT have produced that.

In addition,I'd like to warn you about purchasing from BillyBlanks.com. HORRIBLE customer service. HORRIBLE> plus they are into sending out unsolicited supplements now and billing you for it. They charge $15 for shipping that takes over a month and it is USPS!! Hello!!

**Sorry to sound bitter but I have been SOOOO dissappointed. I LOVE those old Taebo workouts - yesterday I did Taebo Live Advanced #9 and was sweating and burned 450 calories!! Some other folks on Video Fitness said they had asked BB and Shellie and they said that they plan to shoot newer advanced kickboxing only videos in the future...if so I will purchase.
But honestly, I just put up for sale on Amazon.com all my old Taebo Boot camp, Taebo Extreme etc. - I have only kept the VHS Taebo Advanced Lives. (I do have the original non-infomercial Boot Camp 1 & 2 still because they are not listed on Amazon.com, plan to find some way to sell those or swap them online.)

Cathe's KPC and kickbox stuff is in another league and I am a total newbie here....but it would be a dream for BB to release anything that is remotely advanced and like the "good old days".

I hope this is helpful in your consideration. If you do buy any BB videos, go through Collage Video for sure!!

Kelly
:7

Kat,

These two workouts are very different from one another.

IMHO, the KickMax combos are easier with less sweat factor than KP&C combos. But, there is a very high intensity, high impact section that will definitely burn those calories. You are literally "in the air for ten minutes" like a previous poster said. Finally, there is a leg conditioning section that makes my legs scream.

IMHO, KP&C is a more traditional kickboxing workout with high intensity combos and for me, a more intermediate intensity cardio conditioning section which really makes me sweat.

I'm sure it was Cathe's intent to make these two so different to eliminate the BORE factor. I like both of them but tend to gravitate more to KP&C because the KickMax cardio section is sooooo high intensity.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.