Kickboxing frequency

Ronne

Cathlete
I love a good kickboxing workout, it's my favourite form of cardio. My question is how often is appropriate? Like anything, I'm assuming too much is not a good idea. Does anybody do kickboxing on consecutive days?

I don't tend to do it more than twice a week with other things in between but I'd happily do it 4 or 5 days running. Sometimes I think about doing a purely kickboxing rotation for a week or two.

What do other Cathletes think?

I did exclusively TaeBo for YEARS with no issues. 5 days/week. Eventually, I just got bored of doing it everyday, and that's when I found Cathe. As long as you're using good form, you shouldn't have any issues with injury. For me, kickboxing is what really whips me into shape when I need to look my best (especially abs!).

But I think that if you like it, and it works for you, do it as often as you want!

I started out doing Billy blanks work outs too. In fact, doing kickboxing and tae boe is when I lost the most weight and looked the most in shape. I think after working out for a long period of time, you start to realize what your body responds best to. My work outs consist mostly of cardio and kick box work outs. Just last week, I did Kick Max, ( Lo-impact ) then KPC Cardio Cond premix, and then did the KickBox with Abs off of 4DS, mixed in Lo-Max for some leg work and then today it's back to Kick Max. With Kickboxing you get an entire body work out in one. You get the upper body, mid section, lower body, and arms gets a GREAT work out with Kick Max. If I do work outs like the one I descibed above I at least make sure I get some weight work in once a week, and that's where the other
4DS work outs come in. Otherwise, Like you said,,,,it's kickbox all the way. The way I see it, if you LOVE doing it,,,,bring it on. You're being smart by listening to your body ! Happy Kick Box

Ronne:

As kickboxing is considered an aerobic workout, you should be able to do it as frequent as you like. That is, of course, unless you are using a heavy bag to do the routines.

Just beware you don't burn yourself out on something you love, as melincm mentioned.

It also depends on what type of body you want... A high amount of just cardiovascular workouts is going to create more of a small, lean muscle (like you see on a typical endurance runner ~ skinny, not toned). Ideally, you should work in, at least, a little bit of resistance routines. It helps for all over health.

~ Kim

I used to go to a kickbox class with heavy bags, great class btw, it was called CKO, I went up to 5 classes a week, it's an awesome workout. Kickboxing is always my cardio of choice, but I like things like Drill Max too so I will work those in for variety. Come to think of it, the only cardio I do at home are kickboxing, the new MMA series, Drill Max, Boot camp, and starting into some of the other Shock Series now like that crazy Cardio Circuit dvd :eek:

If you're walking down the street and start crescent kicking the neighbour's azalea bushes, it's too much. If you are shadow boxing your boss during a staff meeting, it's too much. If you find yourself looking at a poster of Dwayne Johnson and thinking, "I can take him", it's too much.

If you're walking down the street and start crescent kicking the neighbour's azalea bushes, it's too much. If you are shadow boxing your boss during a staff meeting, it's too much. If you find yourself looking at a poster of Dwayne Johnson and thinking, "I can take him", it's too much.

LOL!! :p Maybe I'm doing too much STS, "I can bench press my 5 yr old" has crossed my mind....

I LOVE kickboxing, and in an ideal world, I'd do it every day. But I know it's good to crosstrain, and I want to avoid overuse injuries, so I do it every other day at most (that makes for up to 4 KB workouts a week).

Two things that factor into this for me: I use weighted gloves (which I would not recommend doing on consecutive days), and I've found that--for me---too much KB tends to give me a flat (but tight) butt if I don't balance it with other types of workouts that help boost that area.

I think you could do it on consecutive days (though I wouldn't recommend every day), if you have good form and vary the focus. Whenever you do something more often, you not only magnify the benefits, but also the drawbacks (so if punching is tough on your shoulders, for example, or you tend to lock your elbows and have some strain there, doing that type of wokrout more often would exacerbate any problems from this).

I'd also worry about burn out from "too much of a good thing."

Another thing to consider: the more you do a particular type of cardio workout, the more efficient your body becomes at it, and the fewer calories you burn. If burning calories is one of your workout goals, then varying your cardio more (so your body doesn't adapt as much to any particular type of workout) might work better.

LOL! Love it!

I love the way kickobxing makes me feel. . . strong. I can do it up to 4 times a week, but I also make sure I lift too.

Lmao....that's hysterical. However, even if I never did kickbox again in my life, it wouldnt' stop me from shadow boxing my boss....hehe...;)

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I'm going to go ahead and schedule a few kickboxing workouts as a treat! :D I'm only doing this short term so I don't burn out though.

And my next meeting is on Wednesday, perhaps I'll throw a few upper, jab, jabs in there :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.