Kickboxing for a beginner....

tishee

Cathlete
I would love to start kickboxing but I have a question:
what is a good beginner/intermediate DVD/VHS for me to use? A rec for Cathe would be great but anyone is fine.
Tishee

Kathy Smith's Kickboxing workout is pretty good for a beginner to intermediate. For learning form, Katalin Zamir has an introductory tape (that usually comes in a package with a couple of workouts)that is excellent. It's a thorough introduction to punches and kicks and is about an hour long. Her workouts, however, leave something to be desired, as she lacks a sense of rythm and is often off the beat. If you could get the instructional video somewhere by itself, maybe fromm someone who no longer uses it, that would be perfect.

Powerstrike Millenium III (DVD) is more advanced, but it gets into the moves more gradually than other Powerstrike workouts, and one of the instructors is a black belt and has marvelous form (as does her partner).

Thanks so much for replying!! May I ask where the powerstrike is sold online? Off to collagevideo for the Kathy Smith one. Thanks again!!
Tishee

The Kathy Smith workout can also be purchased inexpensively from Amazon.com or even at Borders (especially if you get their 15% or 20% coupons).

Hey... I am a beginner/intermediate kickboxer too... Cathe's KPC got me interested in it...

For form.. I have great success with the Powerstrike workouts... I have Millineum 1 and 3.... M1 is on VHS only... 3 is on DVD and VHS... there is also a 2 which I am going to get soon.. You can find these at homeworkout.com... that is where I have ordered them...
They are advanced, but, I have no problem with them, and these two instructors ( women) are awesome at teaching the moves, correct form and showing modifications. Production quality on M1 is not as good as M3 but, it is still good.

I also love Janis Saffell as an instructor.... her latest Hardcore Kickboxing Circuit co-taught with her boyfriend/husband, whose name I can't remember is great...she also just put out a dvd with a series of 10 minute workouts on it that is good, and I just got her Kickbox Strike Zone and I absolutely love it as well.... these are available at Collage. I have another of Janis's older workouts that I have not tried yet.

I have about 50 pounds left to lose, to give you an idea that a beginner can easily do these workouts.

I also have the Kathy Smith Kickboxing and really enjoy it as well.

I tried and tried to like Taebo... but, I absolutely hate Taebo. But, that is just me... Me and Billy just did not click.

>Hey... I am a beginner/intermediate kickboxer too... Cathe's
>KPC got me interested in it...
>
>For form.. I have great success with the Powerstrike
>workouts... I have Millineum 1 and 3.... M1 is on VHS only...
>3 is on DVD and VHS... there is also a 2 which I am going to
>get soon.. You can find these at homeworkout.com... that is
>where I have ordered them...
>They are advanced, but, I have no problem with them, and these
>two instructors ( women) are awesome at teaching the moves,
>correct form and showing modifications. Production quality on
>M1 is not as good as M3 but, it is still good.
>
>I also love Janis Saffell as an instructor.... her latest
>Hardcore Kickboxing Circuit co-taught with her
>boyfriend/husband, whose name I can't remember is great...she
>also just put out a dvd with a series of 10 minute workouts on
>it that is good, and I just got her Kickbox Strike Zone and I
>absolutely love it as well.... these are available at Collage.
> I have another of Janis's older workouts that I have not
>tried yet.
>
>I have about 50 pounds left to lose, to give you an idea that
>a beginner can easily do these workouts.
>
>I also have the Kathy Smith Kickboxing and really enjoy it as
>well.
>
>I tried and tried to like Taebo... but, I absolutely hate
>Taebo. But, that is just me... Me and Billy just did not
>click.
Thanks so much! I was wondering about the KPC for a beginner/inter. When I was at collagevideo I typed in 'kickboxing' and saw the JS ones...will go back and look at the preview for them. I decided not to order b/c of all the choices to choose from! May I ask how often you do kickboxing? I was wondering where the powerstrike videos could be brought....thanks so much for letting me know! Here is what I was thinking about:
JS qucik fix cardio kicks
KPC
or a powerstrike?

Should I get PS ME 1 and KPC?

Choices,choices, choices!!!

Tishee

Hey Tishee...

KPC was the very first kickboxing I had ever done... and I fell in love.... I modified all the high impact to low... was very easy to do with this one.... my love affair for KPC is what sent me on my search for more kickboxing... I tried Taebo like I said, and just hated it...

AFter, reading reviews and asking for advice here and other sites.. I tried Powerstrike workouts and they are great. I got the two I have from homeworkout.com. There is a powerstrike.com website, but they send you to the homeworkout.com link for buying the videos. Only the Millineum 3 is on DVD.. the others are VHS. The powerstrike website is interesting though, cause it gives you all the background on the instructors.

I absolutely love Janis as well... the Hardcore Circuit is wonderful... Strike Zone (also VHS only) is great.. I did it for the first time this week. In fact I did my first jump kicks with Strike Zone! Janis breaks down the moves so well, that you build slowly up to the kick and I could do it! I was thrilled.

Both Powerstrike and Janis workouts that I have are much more low impact that Cathe's KPC... (I have Cathe's Cardio Kicks but have not tried it yet!)

I think a beginner, as I am and I am still overweight one at that, would have no problems with any of these. And to answer your question, I try to do kickboxing at least twice a week. I could do it everyday, I love it so much, but I try to keep things varied and I do circuits and heavy weights the other days.

AS to which ones to get... the new Janis with the short 10 minute workouts is more beginner focused... I actually found it a little too easy... The Hardcore Kickbox Circuit is just such fun and and really cued and taught well... you won't go wrong with either of these Janis's.

KPC like I said, is very easy to modify, and is so much fun, and if you get the DVD you also get Legs and Glutes which is a great lower body workout, plus all the premixes on the DVD...

The advice on Powerstrike I got was that M3 was the easiest... I got it first and then M1 but, I think they are about equal in intensity. both about an hour long and will really make you sweat although they are mostly low impact.

So, sorry... I would say get them all!

>Hey Tishee...
>
>KPC was the very first kickboxing I had ever done... and I
>fell in love.... I modified all the high impact to low... was
>very easy to do with this one.... my love affair for KPC is
>what sent me on my search for more kickboxing... I tried Taebo
>like I said, and just hated it...
>
>AFter, reading reviews and asking for advice here and other
>sites.. I tried Powerstrike workouts and they are great. I
>got the two I have from homeworkout.com. There is a
>powerstrike.com website, but they send you to the
>homeworkout.com link for buying the videos. Only the Millineum
>3 is on DVD.. the others are VHS. The powerstrike website is
>interesting though, cause it gives you all the background on
>the instructors.
>
>I absolutely love Janis as well... the Hardcore Circuit is
>wonderful... Strike Zone (also VHS only) is great.. I did it
>for the first time this week. In fact I did my first jump
>kicks with Strike Zone! Janis breaks down the moves so well,
>that you build slowly up to the kick and I could do it! I was
>thrilled.
>
>Both Powerstrike and Janis workouts that I have are much more
>low impact that Cathe's KPC... (I have Cathe's Cardio Kicks
>but have not tried it yet!)
>
>I think a beginner, as I am and I am still overweight one at
>that, would have no problems with any of these. And to answer
>your question, I try to do kickboxing at least twice a week. I
>could do it everyday, I love it so much, but I try to keep
>things varied and I do circuits and heavy weights the other
>days.
>
>AS to which ones to get... the new Janis with the short 10
>minute workouts is more beginner focused... I actually found
>it a little too easy... The Hardcore Kickbox Circuit is just
>such fun and and really cued and taught well... you won't go
>wrong with either of these Janis's.
>
>KPC like I said, is very easy to modify, and is so much fun,
>and if you get the DVD you also get Legs and Glutes which is a
>great lower body workout, plus all the premixes on the DVD...
>
>
>The advice on Powerstrike I got was that M3 was the easiest...
>I got it first and then M1 but, I think they are about equal
>in intensity. both about an hour long and will really make
>you sweat although they are mostly low impact.
>
>So, sorry... I would say get them all!

Thanks so much! Now I have to decide between the JS hardcore and the powerstrike. Thanks so much for you help!
Tishee

Just a suggestion, Tishee: you don't have to quote someone's entire message when you reply to them. It takes up a lot of room and makes it hard to find YOUR reply.;-)

yeah... and I do tend to get long winded when I am talking about kickboxing since I have just recently discovered it and am in love!

I think Kick Punch and Crunch is doable for a beginner if you make modifications. I also have the first two Powerstrikes workouts and they are easy to learn. I tried both Tae Bo and Kathy Smith's Kickboxing and didnt care for them....Tae Bo was too fast and Kathy Smith's was just boring in my opinion. I never tried Janis' workout. Another one I havent tried but heard it was good was Sherri Jackquelyn's Fit to Kick which can be found on ciavideo.com.

Stacy

Thanks Stacy!

That is another I will check out... I am interested in the GI Gabb series too, but these comments about Kaitlyn ( is that her name?) not keeping in time to the music bothers me... music in a workout is important to me and I think that would bother me alot... although I would love to try her's...

Does anybody have the full set? I saw on the website that you can get the whole series for about $100.... Is that a good deal?

Not that I am going to do it now, I am waiting on the new Cathe's presale... but, I am curious.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.