Kettlebell Workouts

jackie7

Cathlete
Which are the best to get? I am just starting out but I like a challenge. I have Newport but would like another to switch it up a bit. Thanks

If you are looking for something with a little different I would recommend Lauren Brooks dvd. If you like Anthony, I would recommend Providence. Or you could get both :eek::p

More info

I started with Lauren Brooks just after Christmas. Love, love, love the DVD. I did the Kettlebell Way, Vol 1 this morning and did not like it as much. I don't know if Providence is different or if Volume 2 is more advanced. If Vol 2 is advanced, I would start with Laren's and move on to something harder.

Just my opinion

I have all of the AOS DVDs and am going to move next to Keith Weber, I think. He has one that a lot of people like. Stever Cotter is also quite popular, and Amy Bento has a new one coming out - it is on presale today only for 12.95 and free shipping (at least the free shipping is today only, not sure about the price.) Do you enjoy Newport? Several people on this board who really like Newport rank the Keith Weber one as a fave too.

Kettlebell infant

Fitfairy,

Just goes to show what a Kettlebell infant I am!!! So, Newport is where I should go next perhaps?

AOS Providence and The KB Way Vol. 1 (with Beth and Anthony) are basically the same workout; The KB Way was just re-filmed with Beth. The KB Way Vol. 2 just came out a couple of months ago, and it's designed to be the next step before doing AOS Newport. So the order that AOS recommends is this:

• AOS Providence or The KB Way Vol. 1
  • The KB Way Vol. 2
  • AOS Newport
  • AOS Firepower

I personally think that Newport is harder than Firepower, even though Firepower uses two kettlebells for some of the drills.

Keith Weber's DVD (http://www.dragondoor.com/dv052.html) is also fabulous, and is probably on the same intensity level as Newport.

Hope this helps!:)

Oh, the expense!!!

Do you think I could skip KW, Vol 2? These workouts are mega expensive. I don't mind paying for them but I don't want to pay for them and have them sit because they are easy.

I don't think I am ready for the Keith Weber workout yet although it looked like he was using a very heavy KB. I am at 18 lbs.

By the way, thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Hi Candi - I don't know what the Lauren Brooks DVD is like, but Newport is, IMO, more of an endurance workout than Providence/KB Way 1. The rounds are longer and each includes separate core work. ITA with FitFairy...Newport is harder!

Marcy/mj476 posted a nice breakdown of it in this thread:
http://www.cathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256931

I would liken Lauren's dvd to a "beginners" version of Newport It moves fast although there are a few non-bell exercises (moutain climbers, pushups, squat thrusts). If I use my 8kg bell with it I fast forward through the rests. If I use my 12 kg and 16 kg bells I have to take the rests :p

And here I thought Newport was for a beginner! No wonder I had such a hard time with it! I started with a 20 lb kb and thought it was hard!

I too was shocked that you started with Newport! As you've probably discovered by now, it's more of an endurance workout and intended to be used with a lighter kettlebell. Anthony suggests that women start with an 8kg bell. Keith Weber's "extreme kettlebell" dvd is also an endurance workout and you should use a lighter kb for it. It reminds me in rate, pace, and intensity of AoS Newport.

Providence is a strength building workout and you can go a bit heavier in that one, of course picking the right size kettlebell for the exercise. However, if a 20lber is all that you have, work with it :) Firepower is right in the middle, kind of combining strength, endurance, and introducing some double KB work. Santa Monica is a jack of all trades, kick butt, AoS workout that you will love.

If you're looking for something catered specifically towards beginners, I suggest the AoS Clinic DVD or Sarah Lurie's DVDs. Lauren Brooks/Lisa Shaffer have a combo DVD that is also quite good. You'll find alot of great DVDs on the market, but alot of crap is out there too. Ask around for opinions and choose based upon your skill level. From Russia with Tough Love or Enter the Kettlebell are also great for those getting started with kettlebell training.

Let me know if you have any KB questions. I've been training with them since 2005 and an avid follower of the best in the industry. I'm very happy to see them growing in popularity over here in Cathe-land.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Fit-Fairy, I am such a dope! Lisa and Lauren just gave a workshop together recently. Lauren released her DVD a few months ago, and Lisa is preparing to release her second. I got my thoughts all screwed up :) So, no, Lauren & Lisa do not have a joint DVD project together (at least not yet). My bad :)

Take care & keep rockin the bells!

Fit girl...As I have said I am doing Newport with a 20 pound kb. I am at the point where I can get through, but I am wiped.

What would be my next step?

Also, I have a form question. I always thought that you should never go below parallel in a squat. Yet, with the kbs they do. Why is it ok with kbs but not in a regular squat?

Thanks,
Jackie

Also, I have a form question. I always thought that you should never go below parallel in a squat. Yet, with the kbs they do. Why is it ok with kbs but not in a regular squat?

Thanks,
Jackie

Hi Jackie - It IS okay (and actually preferred) to go below parallel in a squat, whether it be with kb's, barbells, dumbbells, sandbags, no weight/any weight. However, as with all exercises, good form is critical.

Here's a link to a previous thread where the deep squat was discussed.
http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252916

HTH. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.