kettlebell question

Audryb

Cathlete
Ok, I've searched the forums and read a bunch of kettlebell threads, but I haven't really found the answer to my question.

I got a 10lb. gofit kettlebell for Christmas, and the 26th I did the "workout" that came with it-- really just showing how to do 5 exercises: turkish getups, two hand swings, one hand swings, clean and press, and squats. After that, I tried a few of the exercises from the minute of strength videos from the AOS website. I've watched many of those videos, so I had a pretty good idea how to do most of the exercises, and I don't think my form was horrendous or anything.

Now- today, 3 days later, I'm still really really sore. The day after, I could barely walk. Based on what I've read here on the forum, that seems to be pretty normal, but here's the thing: I feel like I'm sore in the wrong places. I'm really really really sore in my quads, especially right above my knees, but i'm not sore at all in my hamstrings, or my glute, which I thought were both really targeted by kettlebells. Also, my upper body is not sore.

Although it seems unlikely since I'm so sore, I'm wondering if maybe the kettlebell is too light, so I wasn't using the right muscles? it's only 10 lbs. I'm not very big (5'0" 105 lbs) and not particularly strong for my size, but the 10 lbs doesn't feel heavy to me. Also, I went to Dick's today and swung a 15 and a 20 lb kettlebell and neither felt too heavy. Also, swinging the heavier kettlebell didn't hurt my leg muscles that are still sore.

Any thoughts? I'm just confused.

Welcome to kettlebells!! It is normal to be sore after you begin working with them because you are using your muscles in a totally different way than what you are used to. You use them together as a unit, rather than individually. However, the pain you described right above your knees does sound a little unusual. The swings will normally hit your glutes, hamstrings, and abs. The squats will hit your quads, glutes, and hams, but it sounds like your pain is much closer to knee pain than quad soreness.

I think perhaps a 10lb bell is way too light for you. I'm 5'7" and weight about 106 lbs. I started with a 15lb, and after a week or so realized it was too light. It was good for learning the form, but I definitely needed to go heavier for swings, snatches, and even squats. My next move was to a 20lber, which was good for about another month. I've recently bought a 25 and 30 lb bell, and don't hardly ever swing anything lighter than the 30. Even doubl kb swings with the 20's aren't horribly hard.

I think for swings, and squats, try a 20lber. Swing it around in the store for awhile (ignore the stares), and if it still feels light, go for 25 or even 30. If you're doing the front squats (kb held by the horns in front of you), make sure you are really sitting back on your heels, not leaning forward. It helps to put a medicine ball, or something on the floor and try to touch your butt to it each time you descend. This helps you sit back and not forward over your knees.

Just some suggestions...hang in there with the kbs. You will love what they do for your body!

One more thing - you said your upper body wasn't sore. If you only did the exercises you mentioned, and have been lifting for awhile, you probably won't be sore until you start pressing a heavier bell, doing some floor presses, rows, etc. Even with snatches, it's a ballistic movement, so the force of the movement helps you move the bell.

A great dvd for strength and cardio kb exercises is Keith Weber's Extreme Kettlebell Cardio. Also, Steve Cotter's Extreme Kettlebell is fantastic! You'll get cardio-based workouts as well as some pure strength.

Now- today, 3 days later, I'm still really really sore. The day after, I could barely walk. Based on what I've read here on the forum, that seems to be pretty normal, but here's the thing: I feel like I'm sore in the wrong places. I'm really really really sore in my quads, especially right above my knees, but i'm not sore at all in my hamstrings, or my glutes, which I thought were both really targeted by kettlebells. Also, my upper body is not sore.

On swings, which work the glutes and hams, be sure you are loading the hamstrings and glutes before swinging the bell (sit back, not down) and are moving the KB far enough back between your legs (that was one form detail my workshop leader corrected on me), 'hiking' the kettlebell back as if you want to pass it back to someone behind you. If you look at your reflection from the side, it would almost look like you're--pardon my French--pooping out the bell. (I don't have a better way of visualizing this, sorry!).

One reason for the sore quads could just be that it's a weak area on you. I imagine it's the squats and the get-ups that hit those muscles the most. (Brava to you for doing TGU's! The first time I did them, I couldn't use any weight.)

Soreness is not necessary for a good workout.
If you can barely walk after a workout, you've overdone it, IMO.

On swings, which work the glutes and hams, be sure you are loading the hamstrings and glutes before swinging the bell (sit back, not down) and are moving the KB far enough back between your legs (that was one form detail my workshop leader corrected on me), 'hiking' the kettlebell back as if you want to pass it back to someone behind you. If you look at your reflection from the side, it would almost look like you're--pardon my French--pooping out the bell. (I don't have a better way of visualizing this, sorry!).

One reason for the sore quads could just be that it's a weak area on you. I imagine it's the squats and the get-ups that hit those muscles the most. (Brava to you for doing TGU's! The first time I did them, I couldn't use any weight.)

Soreness is not necessary for a good workout.
If you can barely walk after a workout, you've overdone it, IMO.

Kathryn - love the visual!!! Seriously, though, in the Lauren Brooks clip, she just does not look like she swings properly; that and a few other moves I have seen are the reasons why I have not yet gotten that one. Am I off on that? She doesn't go down very far or swing much at all towards the rear.

She doesn't go down very far or swing much at all towards the rear.

I think different instructors have different looking swings, but can still be doing it properly.

I haven't done her workout in a while, but I don't recall anything in Lauren's form that looked off to me (now Gin Miller, that's another story!).

Not going down far isn't bad form (look at Anthony Diluglio), but it is important to sit back far enough to engage the hamstrings (almost to the point of feeling like you might tip backwards at times).

I think Lauren's form is good. I think some people try to turn a swing into a squat and it is not. If you notice (as Kathryn stated above) his legs don't bend that much either.

Thanks Jan and Kathryn for the input/ advice. It's funny, because I would say my quads are actually a strong point for me-- I'm a figure skater, which really builds the quad muscles, and I actually have to make sure I don't forget to work my hamstrings so I don't end up with a muscle imbalance there. However, skating definitely doesn't work the quads in the butt-to-the-floor way that kettlebell squats do, so it makes perfect sense to me that it was the squats and TGU's that got me.

I went to Dick's this evening and bought a 20 lb. bell to go with my 10. I figure if the 10 made me that sore, I don't need any more weight right now on squats and TGU's! But I did some swings, cleans, presses when I got home, and it definitely felt like it was doing a better job working the muscles it's *supposed* to-- meaning pretty much all of them! I made sure not to do too much, I don't want to end up immobile again.

btw, the soreness I was feeling was definitely muscular and not knee pain - you know how if you flex your quad, you get two bulges on the front of your thigh, one just above and to the inside of the knee and one a little higher and to the outside? That's exactly where I was super sore.

Thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.