Just turned 34, maintenance not working anymore, suggestions?

BROYLES60

Cathlete
Hi there, I have been working our regularly for the past 7 years. I once weighed in at 230 and have maintained a 60+ weight loss for 5 years or so. I have wanted to lose the last 20 pounds but never was that motivated because I "looked" ok.

I have noticed that even with constant workouts ( 7 - 1 hour cardio sessions per week and 3 - 1 hour weight workouts per week and a reasonable but not super clean diet, I have not been able to maintain my weight and I just don't look that great. The weight is creeping up slightly and my body just looks not so tight.

I am willing to put in the hard work but I want results. What cardio is the most effective for fat burning? I run 5-6 miles 4-5 times per week with a random spinervals DVD or step video intermixed. My strength is either Firm Super Sculpting, Vol 1-6, or Cathe Power Hour, MIS, or Muscle Endurance.

When I first started running, I lost tons of weight without trying. Now my body is used to the running and it barely effects me.

I like to drink wine. Should I cut it out completely? How does alchohol effect weight loss?

Please help, don't want to feel over the hill at 34:)

You just need to mix things up, your body has adjusted to your workout routine.

I am experiementing with some training ideas for my next marathon and I am seeing improvements when I wasn't aiming for any!

The thing that seems to really be helping things for me is "fasted cardio". I am doing my running or elliptical first thing in the morning, before breakfast. I have water and coffee...then hit the cardio. I keep the intensity very low, too! I make sure my HR stays within the aerobic zone and doesn't get high at all. It feel super easy and I hardly break a sweat but my body fat is going down!

Then I do 2 intense runs a week...each about 45 minutes. Either a hilly run or a track workout.

Do you journalize your diet? Try it and see what could be the problem. Too often, we consume more calories than we realize.

Switch your weight workouts, too. Maybe try the Gym Styles for 6-8 weeks.

As for the wine...an occassional glass shouldn't matter. A bottle a day is bad news. All depends on how much and how often you indulge.

Anyway, those are just a few things that are working for me (and I am 34 years old also) and a few other suggestions to try.

sarah,
how often are you doing the fasted cardio? and how long are you doing it for? i usually do my cardio the same way, in the morning after just water and coffee. but i've been keeping the intensity high - i wonder if i keep it lower like you're doing it would work for fat loss?

i second what sarah said - your body is just too comfortable with your current routine. mix things up and you should see some changes!

how about taking a recovery week, too? i've noticed in the past that if i am hitting a wall i can usually take some recovery time and it does the trick.

Sarah - I totally agree about the fasted cardio. I've been trying to add it in where I can. I'll get up early and do a run before breakfast during the week, and then do a my weight workout in the evening. I've noticed improvements too.

I think you need to change it up as well. Maybe add a different type of cardio into your routine - some step or kickboxing. Try a spin class. And maybe a split routine instead of your full body workout.

Your body gets used to something that it does routinely and finds the most efficient way to accomplish it. You need to throw it a curveball occasionally:)

RE: Just turned 34, maintenance not working anymore, su...

I am 37 and noticed around my early 30s that I couldn't keep weight off, anymore, no matter that I was exercising about an hour a day. Recently, I found out that I am insulin resistant, as are many women. I had gone to my doctor a couple of months ago in a fit of emotional desperation. I weighed the heaviest I've ever weighed and was at my wit's end. The doctor ordered a full blood workup. We checked my thyroid (which I suggest you do, too), blood sugar, cholesterol, and a few other things. I think I ended up having 5-6 vials of blood drawn for all the tests. My results showed high blood sugar (pre-diabetic), low HDL, high LDL, and very high triglycerides. Based on all the results as a whole, my doctor was able to determine that I am insulin resistant (metabolic syndrome and syndrome X are two other names for it). My doctor helped me create a base of what to eat and what not to eat, and I started doing my own research right away. I bought several books off Amazon.com. Here is a list of some of my favorites:

"Bring Your Triglycerides Down Naturally" by Andrew Mierzejewski (this book has a few typos/grammatical errors, but the content is amazing!)
"The Sugar Solution" by the Editors of Prevention magazine
"You on a Diet" by Michael F. Roizen nd Mehmet C. Oz
"The Good Carb Cookbook" by Sandra Woodruff [there are so many wonderful recipes in this cookbook]
"Sugar Busters! Quick and Easy Cookbook"

I would suggest you learn WHAT you can eat before you start browsing the cookbooks if you find out that you are insulin resistant, too. The reason being, insulin resistant folks can't eat the "healthy" foods that people who aren't insulin resistant can eat. Sometimes, for instance, recipes for low cholesterol contain ingredients that insulin resistant folks shouldn't eat. For example: apples, bananas, and most fruit are no-no's! Carrots and all potatoes (even sweet potatoes) are, too. Even beans have to be eaten in moderation. Breads and pastas - forget about it. The occasional whole grain pasta might be okay, but again, moderation is the key. I learned quite clearly from the first 3 books listed above what I could and couldn't eat.

Additionally, I try to keep my "added" sugar intake (meaning the sugar I get from foods with labels) below 10 teaspoons per day. To compute how many teaspoons are in a serving of food, take the number of sugar grams on the label and divide by 4...and pay attention to serving size! For example, one can of Arizona Ice Tea contains over 13 teaspoons of sugar, and the most ANYONE should get in a day is 12 teaspoons, whether they're insulin resistant or not. (NOTE: artificial sweeteners aren't the solution, either...for a great many reasons which I won't go into here)

Oh, and I also changed the way I exercise. Instead of doing 60 minutes all at once, I get up earlier and do about 20-30 minutes of exercise in the a.m. and then exercise for another 20-30 minutes after work. Talk about changing up one's routine! My body has reacted well and it's not getting stressed as much with those long workouts.

So, it's been about 1 1/2 months and within the first three weeks I lost 7 pounds. I'm not weighing myself right now because I don't want to focus on the weight (a trick I learned from The Secret). Instead, I want to focus on how great I feel and the wonderful changes happening to my body.

I bought "The Sugar Solution", and found it very helpful in trying to cut down on sugars. I still like my sweets, however, I'm striving to cut back on some of the really insidious ones, like anything with HFCS. I've been falling off the wagon a little lately, so I'm glad you reminded me about that book!! Sorry to hijack this thread... BTW, I'm 45, and I, too, used to be able to eat whatever as long as I worked out. That has definitely changed!!

"sarah,
how often are you doing the fasted cardio? and how long are you doing it for? "

Now I MUST WARN YOU...I am training for a marthon so my cardio sessions are very long!!! My easy, fasted sessions are at least 70 minutes long.

Again, I am training for a Fall marathon so my cardio is much longer than what is needed for fat loss and weight management. If I were not training for a marathon, I wouldn't go beyond 60 minutes....that's just me.

Also, while my sessions are long, they are EASY...HR is very low! In the 130's. I still cannot believe how much better the back of my legs look! And my hips are so much leaner and I have more arm definition...all in 4 weeks!

Finally, you can do the fasted cardio with intense workouts, I'd just keep those sessions shorter...30-40 minutes.

Another finally, I have been doing the fasted cardio because it has proven to be the only thing to cure my post run tummy troubles.

Hope this helps!!!

"I have been doing the fasted cardio because it has proven to be the only thing to cure my post run tummy troubles."

This is part of the reason I'm doing it as well.

thanks alot, sarah, i appreciate it.

i usually keep my cardio at about 60 minutes, so i think i'll lower the intensity of these and maybe throw in one higher intensity shorter session a week.

i will begin training for a half marathon after the fall, so this is helpful to me!

I have always done my cardio (whatever it is) first thing in the morning. I didn't know there was an actual name for it! The reason I do it is because I get nauseous if I eat and then work out. Even when I trained for marathons and did long runs, I couldn't eat before and during my long runs I could only take small pieces of an energy bar during my run if anything. Anyway, I am not sure if it makes a difference or not, but I know it works for me. Also, there is no way I could eat before with working out so early in the morning (0445).

Keep us posted on your progress. I woudl love to know if you see any differences.

Lorie

I am not sure what your diet is, but the closer I get to 30, the more I realize that carbs cause me to gain weight. Have you ever considered Atkins? It might surprise you...although, I don't think you can have wine ;)

Sara

I know I am going to get "yelled" at, but alcohol is nothing but empty (think wasted) calories. Each serving (which now wine glasses are bigger than that serving) is about 150 calories...so, two glasses equals 300 whopping calories!! Which, really adds up. So, let's say that you have 2 glasses of wine every weekend...that ends up being 15,600 calories per year...which is 4.5 pounds a year. And, those calories go wasted....and, I know all the arguments about how healthy red wine is...But, I think you can get away with not drinking it and still be very healthy.:)

Also, alcohol slows the metabolism, which makes it harder for your body to burn those calories. It also dehydrates you, making you bloated because your body wants to hang on to the water it has been given.

OK, now I am going to hide because I do not want anyone to be mad at me!!

j

Jenn, No need to hide! I couldn't agree with you more! Tom Venuto (BFFM) convinced me that even a little bit isn't worth it! If I take in 2 drinks a year, then I was **hitting it hard** that year. I can do without it, so I do. However, I know a lot of people feel deprived when they give up so many things they enjoy, thus the reason why I preach "moderation".

Someone above mentioned training for a Fall 1/2 (sorry, cannot remember who)...that is GREAT!!!! I love that distance a lot! It is so much fun and extremely rewarding! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

And to the orginal poster (who is probably sorry she asked by now...LOL), pay closer attention to what you are eating at night and when. Make sure it is at least 2-3 hour before bedtime and I see better results when it is a less carby meal and more protein and veggie.

>Jenn, No need to hide! I couldn't agree with you more! Tom
>Venuto (BFFM) convinced me that even a little bit isn't worth
>it! If I take in 2 drinks a year, then I was **hitting it
>hard** that year. I can do without it, so I do. However, I
>know a lot of people feel deprived when they give up so many
>things they enjoy, thus the reason why I preach "moderation".
>
>Someone above mentioned training for a Fall 1/2 (sorry, cannot
>remember who)...that is GREAT!!!! I love that distance a lot!
> It is so much fun and extremely rewarding! I hope you enjoy
>it as much as I do!
>
>And to the orginal poster (who is probably sorry she asked by
>now...LOL), pay closer attention to what you are eating at
>night and when. Make sure it is at least 2-3 hour before
>bedtime and I see better results when it is a less carby meal
>and more protein and veggie.

Sarah!

Good for you!! I have run 4 marathons and feel ready soon to do another. I am thrilled for you!!

j

I want to thank you guys for your suggestions. I was so spoiled in the past and really could eat pretty much what I wanted and as long as I exercised 10 hours or so a week I was great.

I am excited to try your suggestions and already ran 5 miles this morning at a very slow pace. My heart rate stayed consistent at 150 or so but I really felt like I was barely working. The funny thing is that when I was done running, my legs felt like jello. It was almost like I was working different muscles by running slower:) I ran for 75 minutes and only ran 5 miles, lol.

I know I need to eat cleaner and I also know that I probably drink too much wine. Some things will be easier to change than others but I guess ultimately committing to a clean diet will be the deciding factor as to how motivated I really am to change my body:)

Thanks again everyone

Lorie

Lorie,

I know, the slow running is harder than it sounds!!!! After a few miles, it really makes my butt burn...and it does work different muscles! Also, it strengthens muscles and tendons so future injury is less likely, even after you speed it up!

The other thing...the slow running has changed my cravings. I can't stop thinking about protein and veggies...especially on a grilled kabob! Use to want carbs but since my body is using less glycogen, I want the protein and veggies!

sarah,

what pace is your slow run? I too do fasted cardio but I do it because I get sick to my stomach if I eat before. I havent noticed a change by doing it that way. You have seen that much difference in 4 weeks,thats quick. You really didnt have much to improve,in my opinion anyway. Your pictures you look very lean and fit. Eating is a constant battle for me still. I wish I had your determination and drive to eat right. I am approaching 38 and have noticed it is getting harder for me as I approach 40. I dont stay in my heart rate zone during my runs, I am definately high. do you think that is affecting me trimming down. when I figure my zone it seems to low and I think I have a higher heart rate because of my asthma because when it is higher than I figured it should be I can still carry on several word conversation. any suggestions?

You probably just need to jump start your fitness program by changing your workouts. Your body has probably become adjusted to the routines.

I certainly would not give up drinking wine, if you like it.

I am not about to give up all my sodas.

Life is too short and we all need some food or drink (in moderation) that we enjoy!

Laura,

When I started, my slow run pace was about an 11:00 pace. Gradually, I am able to keep my HR super low while going faster. It just means that my cardiac system is responding and getting stronger. It's doing what I am training it to do...work more efficiently. Last wekend, I was able to move at a 10:03 pace while keeping my HR super low.

I do think it will help. To be 100% honest, I seemed to start struggling with keeping my weight and physique where I wanted it and it was about the time I started running! I am convinced it is because my HR was not where it needed to be. It was too high...or out of my zone.

So now, I have been making sure that my HR is well within my HR zone for the majority of my workouts. Then 2-3 times a week, I do short workouts were my HR is much higher. Last night, it was an intense hill run. That hill run was much easier and much faster than it ever has been and my HR wasn't maxed out...I had room to spare!

I think watching your HR more will help you trim down and possible help your eating!

I am thrilled with the results I have seem over the last 4 weeks! It's helping my physique, my training, making me a better runner and changing the foods I ***must have**!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.