Just turned 34, maintenance not working anymore, suggestions?

thanks sarah. its so hard to make yourself run slower. It wont affect your race pace will it. actually dumb question as your times are awesome. I had a heart rate monitor belt that came with my 301 garmin and I cant seeem to find it. dont know if the kids got ahold of it or what. I dont know if I am able to buy just the belt somewhere ornot. thanks!

RE: Just turned 34, maintenance not working anymore, su...

I know for certain that easing the intensity was the #1 contributor to my 10 minute PR on my last marathon. When training for the Pig, I just eased up on the elliptical. After seeing (and feeling) how much it helped (because I really could feel it) I decided to implent it more for my next marathon.

If you do a search, you should be able to find the best place to buy a replacement strap. Their prices no longer rock my world but check out www.heartratemonitorsusa.com

sarah,

what do you mean by easing up on the elliptical? you still do it 3xweek dont you? I am afraid of running slower will make me slower during 5k races. I also dont know what zone to stay in because like I said I think my zone is higher than I figured. what did you do to figure your zones? 220-age?

this guy is saying not to include high intensity runs in during the first 3 months of training like this. are you doing higher intensity runs at all? from what I gather, it can prevent improvement. I would love to drop my 5k times down by one or two minutes. I did find my heart rate monitor belt after tearing the house down,thank god!! I paid alot of money for my garmin and heart rate belt. I wil try to go slower but it will be hard because I always think I have to try to run faster in order to do better on my races. I actually read somewhere that said to run faster you have to train to run faster. so I get confused on what to do with so many different things out there. I really want to drop about 8lbs though,so if this will help I am willing to give it a whirl.thanks sarah!!

He does say no intensity for 3 months. My DH is following his program right now. I am following it for 90% of my miles. Why? Because last January I signed up and paid for this training group that does speed work twice a week. It goes from May-June 30th. No refunds and I didn't want to waste my $$$ so I do the super slow stuff for every workout except for when the group meets and we do track, hill run, pick-ups, fartleks, negative split workouts, or whatever. Those workouts are about 45 minutes, twice a week.

I just wanted you to read about the science behind the advantage of slower miles and how it helps you improve.

You have to be ready and willing. It is hard to do! Very hard! But I am willing. Why? I sped up my workouts last Summer when I was training for a Fall marathon and ran a horrible race. I slowed 1/2 my workouts down...and by a lot...and I ran my best marathon, PR'd by 10 minutes and qualified for Boston.

If you don't feel ready, do what I did...slow down your cross training cardio.

thanks sarah, I did slow down my last run and it was tough to do. I felt that I worked my leg just in three miles as I did going 7 at a faster pace. I will try to run slower in one or two of my runs a week and see if I notice a different.thanks again, and you might be getting more questions from me if you dont mind! I am always wanting to learn about fitness. thanks!

Hi all,

This is interesting because I herniated a disc 8 weeks ago and have had to go lighter with my weights and very low intensity cardio for a month and now, the seond month, I do low and some medium intesity, plus I do yoga daily. For a solid month I hardly broke a sweat and was worried that I would gain weight, loose cardio capacity, and tone. Now I break a sweat once or twice a week. The result is that I have not lost cardio capacity and I have lost body fat. For the weight work, I prefatigue with a variety of pushups, then lift lighter. I am actually stronger than I was before and was able to do 2 sets of bench press with 35s for S&H. I'm integrating a few workouts of S&H, but can't wait to get back to what I was doing. Yesteday at work I had 3 people commented on how I look like I've lost weight and what do I do to workout. I have always been of the mindset that the more intense the better, but this has totally proved that theory wrong. I am trying to integrate one more intense cardio per week, but other than that will continue with the moderate intensity workouts. My long cardio is on the road bike at a 15 mph pace once a week for 2 hours.

You never know until you try and this is definitely much kinder to the body.

Tracy

thanks for sharing tracy. I went to my doctor yesterday and he told me that running at my target heart rate wouldnt make a difference as far as weight loss goes. he told me to just go out and run and not worry about it as long as I am able to maintain my runs with the higher heart rate. I am still going to give it a try to run in my zone for at least 2 out of the 3 runs I do since sarah has had good results and she has an amazing body so she must be doing something right. I hope it will help me lose that 5-8lbs and they say you need to change things up and that will definately be a change for my body to runslower.I will let ya know after a few weeks how its going for me. I still think I have a higher heart rate than the average person because of my asthma there fore my target heart rate would be higher also. My doctor gave me apeak flow meter that you breath in before you exercise and during to see if stats drop and if they do then an inhaler is needed. I also do bootcamp class 2x week which is high intensity but has wts inbetween cardio segments so my heart rate doesnt stay up the whole time but that will be dropping two out of my 5workouts down in intensity so I am crossing my fingers and hope I have good results in weight loss and bettering my 5k times. thanks again!

Hi,

I hope that the change works for you. It may end up being that it is the change and not necessarily the slower pace. I read one of the links, and found it very logical and reasonable. Then I started thinking about the interval craze and I'm sure that there is research out there to support that too.

I think that the bottom line is that you have to be honest about your diet, workout consistently, and change up your workouts once you see you are not getting the results that you want. It does seem to get more difficult as you get older and fat goes on for me, much quicker than ever before, so I'm very careful about what I eat. Consistently eating very clean in a lifestyle choice that I'm willing to make. You have to find a balance between your eating and workout habits and desired results. It is probably easier said than done.

Tracy

Laura,

As you know, I have been doing the low HR cardio workouts for all but 2 cardio sessions a week...the other two being more intense and **interval**....been doing this for a month now. You mentioned a fear of losing speed.

I have some news that I am HOPING will set your mind at ease and help you feel better about easing up...I ran a 5k Friday night and PR'd by 17 seconds. But get this...I did NOTHING TO REST UP for it!! I ran 10 miles the night before and since it was 90 degrees and I was going for a low HR, it took me 1:50...so almost 2 hours of running the night before. Then...the very day of the 5k...I did 75 minutes on the elliptical (storms were coming and I wasn't sure if the 5k would be possible and I wanted to get my workout in, so I did the elliptical in the late a.m.).

So, with no resting up, I was still able to PR after a month of low HR training.

I just wanted to add that I have been getting more than usual compliments on my physique this past month. Several people in my running group have asked if I am doing the Ironman's (half or full) and seem so suprised when I tell them I don't bike or swim...just run! (well...elliptical and weights...and nap!)

thanks tracy and sarah,

sarah-you never cease to amaze me. I wish I had your determination and exceed my expectations like you do. I ran today for 90minutes and tried real hard to stay around my zone. I did go up 20 beats here and there but still kept it way low compared to normal. I didnt feel exhausted at all like I have with some runs and I havent ran over 5.5 miles in a very long time to I did 8 today but it took almost 90minutes , around an 11 minute pace which is hard for me to to do. I always see the time and think I should be under 10minutes but I am really going to give this a whirl. I am curiious to see if I will get results. thanks again! and congrats on you PR!! you get any faster and they wont be able to see you pass them by!!your new nickname will be lightening!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.