Just how many is too many?

After my DH's response to STS ("what?! more dvd's?!")I thought, just how many is too many workout DVD's? I have 29, mostly Cathe. I don't think that's too many, especially when you consider how many times I've done them. You know it's bad when you hear, "Fill me, buttercup..." and your body subconsciously starts doing the routine!

Considering I don't own a gym membership, I don't think building a collection of workout DVD's is unreasonable. Ladies?

Terri

Oh, I think you're going to find that 29 is a pretty small number in comparison to many people around here. Once everyone starts posting their answers, you can show this thread to your DH and say "See? I have a long way to go before I have too many." ;)

There is no such thing as too many good DVD's. I have well over 200 (before STS), and that is having sold over 100 ishy ones a few years ago. DH is smart enough to never say anything about my collection. He may think it, but at least he is smart enough to keep his mouth shut.

Shayne

Ohhh - I have 53 - mostly Cathe with a smattering of Lotte Berk method, TLTs, a few Jari Loves and BBC. Didn't realize how much my acquisition of STS will really kick that number up. Oh my.

Lorrie

www.picturetrail.com/lsass

Right now I know I have 109 workouts--but that's workouts, not DVDs, since I keep them on an Excel sheet by workout name--so PUB and PLB are two separate workouts, for example, though they are on one DVD. However I have owned a total of 287 workouts (at least) that I have a list of (again, workouts, not counted by separate DVDs), I've just sold a ton of them. I don't think my DH even has a clue how many I have (though I keep them in the living room in a big binder case. One day he saw some of the empty cases out (maybe 20 of them) and was surprised I had so many workout DVDs....

So, yeah, I have no idea how much is too much, I just know I'm not done. :)

edited for better punctuation

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=purple]***Lainie***
fitness blog: http://fitnessfig.blogspot.com
dream blog: http://dreamerfig.blogspot.com
http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell Her your plans.[/f]

You can never have enough work out dvds as far as I am concerned!!!:7 }( :7

I've been exercising at home on and off for years and have probably purchased 100's of work outs through the years. I actually threw out a bunch of old VHS' I had at my mom's but no longer did when I was getting ready to move out. That was before I discovered EBAY ofcourse. Since then I've bought and sold countless vhs and dvd work outs!

Out with the old and in with the new. That's my motto!:7

Sounds like a reasonable amount to me. I sure wouldn't let that stop me. I just took a quick inventory and I am around 55 workout DVD's.

If my DH every says anything about my DVD's, equipment, etc. I just let him know it could be worse, at least you know where I am and what I am doing! Oh, course I am only kidding.... ;)

Kara

76 here - and that's DVD's only - not counting my old workouts on VHS and the endless numbers of Tae Bo I seem to have collected as well.

And that's simply not enough. I already know of 4 more that I want. :p

And don't even get into the equipment I have!

Funny thing, is that my DH is totally into fitness and looks fabulous, so for him to question another set of workout DVD's kind of took me off-guard. I say it's an investment to my health...how can you put a price on that?

Terri

I never question my DH about all the tools he has taking up space in the garage and they get used how many times? 1 or 2x a year and they're a heck of a lot more expensive then our DVD's. At least we use them daily. I still have wall hangings that need to be hung up since we moved last Aug.!!!

My DH has never questioned me b/c I don't think he could defend himself - also my $$ is my $$.:)

29 is just the beginning! I have everything Cathe & Tracey have ever put out, plus almost every Ana & Ravi Yoga workout and a bunch others. I'm in denial about how many I have, so I'm NOT counting! ;)

Terri,

I have all of Cathe's, everything. Plus I kept counting and I have 185 right now. But wait! I think there might be more in the pole building. I know, I'm insane. I like to call it variety. And yes I'm in very good shape for a 56 year old, soon to be 57. Yikes!

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

http://www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

I have a lot of Cathes and heaps of others. I estimate my collection to be well over 200 dvds and probably around 40 videos. Now Blu Ray is the latest technology for movies, my collection will obsolete soon, I guess lol ;)

I have an embarrassing number of FIRM dvds, none of which I use anymore because I realized they weren't helping me lose fat, my main objective. As I became disenchanted with The FIRM I got some Winsor Pilates, which I never really gave a chance because I felt I was still not going to get the results I wanted. I have quite a few miscellaneous workout dvds that are so-so... All the above were either cardio or cardio/circuit which didn't impact my fat at all. I'd read reviews of Cathe's workouts at CollageVideo.com but had always been rather afraid of her. Based on their reviews and the reviews of their customers, she sounded so beyond my capabilities. I got the easy Cathe set from Target, then Low Max, then I got the entire GymStyle set. That's when I discovered her heavy weight training, which DID get the fat off. Since then, I've gotten mostly Cathe's weight training dvds but I still have to get The Pyramids. I've learned a lot about weight training so STS was a no-brainer for me. Purchasing a 37 dvd set feels like a logical extension of what I'm already doing - but so much better.

As long as you finally discover what works for you I don't think you're buying too many workout dvds because variety gets results. I just wish I'd understood that more FIRM dvds was only going to get me more of the same (cardio fitness, yea, but no fat melting). I blew so much money on their, ultimately ineffective, products. If you had as many FIRM dvds collecting dust on your shelves as I have, I'd agree with your husband!

I'm sure my DH wished I only had 29! I have close to 200 but I think I'm slowly getting to the point where I'm slowing down. But wait: I still have my CIA preorder coming, new Tracey's, Amy's in the Ring and gulp, I still have to order STS.

I try and trade as much as possible and give away ones I know I'll never be able to trade but that will go to a nice home.

I think all instructors should take a year break and let us try and use the ones we have. I'm really going to have to think about doing any more preorders for awhile because I have so many virgin workouts to get to (although I have gotten through quite a few of them) and my CC needs a break.

Marcy

I sold all my Denise Austin, yep I owned them all, plus I taped her morning shows for 2 years so I had all those on VHS that is, until I found Cathe. Now I just own all Cathe's, p90x & the plus, can we count Cardio coaches I just got 3 and 1 on the way, 5 Rainbeau Mars, 3 Shiva Rea, 2 Kristen Mcgee, 4 Janis saffell, BL set, 2 Treadmoves, and a couple others. My Husband thinks I am ridiculous.
beth6395

"Double Knot your laces and let's move on"
-Cathe Friedrich

Oh dear, now I don't feel so bad! I think I finally have all of Cathe's workouts, except her Wedding Dress workout.
I started my home collection with Tae Bo, which I still do occasionally and love-Billy will always be my "first".;)

I had one or two Firm workouts and never liked them at all...gave those away.
Have a few Bryan Kest yoga ones which I did a few times, but not into yoga, have some Windsor Pilates which i don't mind, but have always wondered what exactly they are doing for me?
My biggest waste of cash was the Fluidity Bar workout with the bar they send too. It sits in my space and I use it to stretch on and hang my workout bands...I liked the workout the first time I did it, but then soon the dread factor set in with Michelle the instructor for some reason.
I have all of P90X, good investment, and I appreciated how they packaged the workouts in that little booklet thingy. It doesn't take up space, and I will occasionally pull out PlyoX or the Stretch.
Another big waste of money was the Slim Series....oh dear god, you wanna go crazy with boredom order these workouts. No offense to the instructor but good grief, does anyone actually like these?

One of my all-time faves is the Squeeze workout, I still pull that one out on a consistent basis, nothing gets my triceps like Tracey does!

I went through that for awhile just trying to build up my collection. Variety keeps you motivated. Now I pretty much focus on new stuff coming out and I'm pretty picky about what I get.

Wow! This thread sent me to counting all mine. I have 35! More if you count the individual DVDs in the programs like P90x and Barry's Boot Camp.

I've just ordered two new yoga workouts too!

Sparrow

Even after all this time the earth never says to the sun, "you owe me." Look what happens with a love like that.

It lights the whole sky.

- Hafiz

Oh man 29 is nuthin'! Just wait until you discover other workouts/instructors you enjoy and then you will REALLY be in trouble...LOL!
Angela:7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.