Jury's out on CK,

Aimee

Cathlete
I just finished CK and while I absolutely LOVED the power part, I'm just not sure about the cardio part yet. I'll have to do it at least 3 more times before I decide if this will be a perment part of my rotation. Everyone on there looks soo strong! I applaude(sp?) you all
happy.gif
! Even if I don't do the cardio part the power part is definately in!! LOVED IT!!

Just the opposite for me!

Aimee,

I had just the opposite impression. I thought the power part was boring and the cardio part much better, though not as challenging as Cathe's other tapes. In all it was kind of a disappointment (even though I'm not supposed to say anything other than "zowie" in this forum, it seems!). Have you ever done Kathy Smith's Aerobox? I found it more challenging both from a power and a cardio perspective than this tape (and the music is almost identical) -- it's an older tape and doesn't involve kickboxing but it still kicks, if you know what I mean! You might like it!

Abigail

Thanks Abigail!

I've never done the Aerobox tape. In all honesty I'm really not much of a kickboxing fan. I keep trying to get into it, but I just can't
sad.gif
! I've got Janis Saffel, Stephanie Steele, and Donna Richardson's tapes and I rarely use them. I was hoping that these new tapes would change my mind. I like the little bit of kickboxing in CM, but I just couldn't get into the cardio part on CK. I'll give it a few more tries, but I just don't know..... Any suggestions on how to change my mind? I know it supposed to be one of the best workout you can do,so why can't I get into this???

CK

Hi Aimee! I haven't done CK yet because I just received Janis Saffell's new Kick It Ringside tape and South Beach Slam. The Ringside tape is by far the best that Janis has ever done. I'll be doing it this morning. There are 2 workouts that last 30 min. So you can do both or just 1 depending on your time. Cathe is more athletic where Janis used to study classic dance so Janis's tapes are more dancey but simple enough that you can get it maybe after the 5th time of doing it. So you might want to check out these tapes. Good luck! Kathy

Aerobox

I just recently tried Aerobox and was very pleasantly surprised. I expected it to be pretty easy, but it was pretty intense. I liked the music a lot and loved the jumprope sections. However, I think it might be boring for a lot of people who like more choreography - it was a lot of jumping up and down with variation. I love that and it works for me, but I think some people might be disappointed.
Erica

Hey Kathy,

The tape I have sounds very similar to yours. Mine has a step section, a kickboxing section and a south beach slam section. In the step section she does a Jack-n-Jill thing. Is this the same tape?

Have to agree with you Kathy

Ringside is the best work yet of Janis's
happy.gif
. I did it the other night and really enjoyed it. I have two other KB tapes of hers..but don't reach for them. I found the look of this new one...plus the workout..much more appealing. Unfortunately the sound on it is terrible
sad.gif
..but not bad enough to stop me from using it again.

nancy:O)

Aimee--kickboxing ideas

Well, looking at the tapes you have used, I can say this: Stephanie Steele is soooo boring that her tapes are really only good for die-hard kickboxing and boxing fans who want to work on drills (She's even stiffer than Al Gore).
I wasn't really impressed by Donna Richardson's kickboxing, but can't really recall why. Janis Saffel is iffy--depending on which video you have, her mis cuing can be pretty annoying. Each of her subsequent videos is an improvement over the previous ones.
If you want to give kickboxing one more try, I suggest the GI jABB workouts. The instructional tape is one of the best I've seen, and the workouts are fun. I personally like an athletic kickboxing approach (like Power Kicks or GI Jabb, or the "toning" section of Janis Saffels first all-kickboxing tape) more than a choreographed "dancy" workout (Like the cardio in J. Saffel's first tape). Of course, you shouldn't feel obligated to like kickboxing. I've decided that yoga is just not for me, and have stopped trying to get myself into doing it. There are so many alternatives available, there's no reason to force yourself to do a style of workout you don't enjoy.

Kickboxing

Hi Aimee! Ringside tape from Janis Saffell is brand new and it's a hum dinger. It's absolutely wonderful! I did the kickboxing yesterday morning and I almost nailed it the first time around. Which is pretty good considering it's a Janis tape. Her cueing this time around was impeccable. The first 30 min. is strictly learning 4 combinations of kickboxing and putting it all together at the end. The other workout for 30 min. is unique in that it's using a step and incorporating kickboxing BUT with a partner if you so choose. You don't have to though. I didn't find this tape to be dancey but so much FUN, FUN, FUN that you might want to check it out. I know what you mean by not liking drills. I don't either. I like to get right into a lot of different choreography. I find drills very boring but it's a matter of taste. South Beach Slam is also completely new and it's marvelous! It's her version of hi-lo but with a real dancey twist to it. A lot of turns and mambos using a step for 30 min. and the other 30 min. without. These are the best tapes she's ever come up with. I can't wait to do the other workouts! Good luck! Kathy

Kathy and Nancy - Do you get used to the sound?

I previewed Ringside and it did look awesome. Janis' cueing was great and the moves looked great, I wanted to get up and do it, but the sound was horrible. Do you adjust to it while working out? I am considering returning it due to the poor sound. South Beach Slam looks like lots of fun too and the sound is fine.

Defected Tape

Hi Felicia! Yes I too was considering calling them up and returning this tape due to the audio sound being so terrible. I didn't even get the beautiful video covers. I just got my tapes thrown into a blank white video cover. I didn't think this was very professional. I did the tape and I cranked up the volume and it's not so bad. I just tune it out and your concentrating on getting down her 4 combinations that it really doesn't matter anymore. But I still think I'll call them up and see if I can get the new covers if not a new tape. Keep you posted, Kathy

The sound!

I know Felicia...isn't it a bummer. This is one of her best tapes yet and I love the production of it...but that sound is horrible.

I had asked at VF if any others had the same problem...hoping they would say no and I could exchange it for a better one..however..it looks like that's just the way it is
sad.gif

I don't think there is anything I can do about it...unfortunately. I will sneak it in my rotation every now and then, when I need a fresh workout...but it won't get as much attention as it should with the sound quality as it is.

Is South Beach done in the same format as Ringside? And how dancy does Janis get? I am not the best spin, pivot, cha cha type of person but I am curious
wink.gif
...not that I need another video right now LOL

nancy:O)

Thanks Kathryn,

You're right. Janis's mis cuing IS annoying to me and Stephanie is boring too. Donna was OK for me, but not thrilling. I haven't tried G.I. Jabb or anything like that because I haven't found anything I like. Maybe I'll give them a try, maybe it's just not for me. Kinda' like running, you know? I hate that too
sad.gif
! Thanks for the info, if I get them I'll let you know what I think
happy.gif
!

Thanks everybody!!!

You all are great to help me out like this
happy.gif
! I've made a list of all the tape that you all have suggested and my Collage Video catalog just came so I'm going to take a look and see if maybe I can be converted! Thanks again
happy.gif
!

Thanks Nancy and Kathy

Since I've only previewed the tapes, I'll try doing it a few times before I decide. Sometimes when I'm really getting into a workout, I barely notice the music (and sometimes not even the instructor). I ordered the taped from G&R and they came in white covers but they promised to send the covers when they are ready. I may call them anyway because it is not reasonable to sell a video for almost $20 with such poor sound quanity.

South Beach Slam looked pretty dancy with lots of spins and mambos. But she cues well and it looks do-able.

Kickbox kick?

I'm with you on this, Aimee. I can't get into the kickbox kick either. Maybe it's because I so enjoy the danciness of step and Cathe's fun choreography, but the Aerobox tape, even though it's a killer workout, is not nearly as much fun. I use it when I'm on the road and can't take equipment with me, for which it is really perfect. I was hoping the Cardio Kicks would be a good second workout (I usually do more than just one tape) but it's not challenging enough for me. Maybe in conjunction with Aerobox, though, it will work.

Do you really think kickboxing is a better workout than step? If so, why?

(By the way, I do really like the step kickbox sequence on Circuit Max, though, don't you?)

Abigail

Aerobox vs others

I also have been surprised by what a tough workout Aerobox can be. I did it for a while before getting into Cathe videos, and then when I had mastered Cathe figured it'd be a breeze, but when I tried it again I discovered that no...it's not! As someone who does definitely prefer choreographed, dancy workouts, it's not my favorite in the world; but I do love the pain the next day!

Abigail

Sound that bad?

Kathy,

Reading your review of the Janis tape (and other people's reviews as well) I was just about to grab for my Collage catalogue -- but your caveat re the sound quality is worrisome. How bad is it? Because I travel so much, I really need this as a tape that I can then audio-tape and play on a tape recorder. If the sound is that bad, I suspect it won't work for me. What do you think?

Thanks for your tips!

Abigail

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.